HIP4080 based amp issues with DC offset (is it ?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I thought that we went through this before.

Terminals 1 and 2 of the IC that drives the input of the 4080.

The 4080 has to be in the circuit to get the drive waveforms.

To get the high-side, you need to bridge the drain and source of the low-side FETs (Q12C below).

Attachments

• DSCN0928b.jpg
    DSCN0928b.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 68
I've started working back once again on this amplifier.

HIP4080 in place.

I've bridged the drain and source of the low-side FETs.

Noticed something. Gate drive is at what it is supposed to be - sharp square waves at 8vrms.

When there is no signal applied to the RCA there is constant 12.57v DC at A high side, as it should be, but at B side it's sitting on the Low side, not at the high one.

In your guide Perry there is a note - Note About High-Side Drive Power Supplies: it is said that only the high sides needs this 12v above positive rail voltage.

Here are the pin voltages without any signal in the rca.

1-12.75
2-12.15
3-0
4-0
5-12.15
6-6.10
7-1.40
8-5.25
9-5.25
10-12.57
11-12.35
12-0
13-0
14-0
15-12.15
16-12.15
17-0
18-12.15
19-0
20-0

Shouldn't pin 11 and 20 - which are A+B High-side Outputs have both 12.15v and not pin 18 which is B Low-side Output ?

"All drives should be sitting on ground with the low-side G-S shorted." - the picture above shows DRAIN - SOURCE shorted, not Gate-Source. I'm confused...even in the guide it says "Below, pads 2 and 3 for Q12C are bridged with solder " so that's drain and source.

Do you have the equivalent of IC4C shorted? - no, do I need to ?

Pre-amp section is working fine, why do i have to drive the 4080 directly ?

Last edited:
Sorry. That should be d-s as shown in the photos.

Shorting the op-amp pins will close the feedback loop locally. Without the short, the op-amp output could be virtually anything. With the short, it should bring the voltage to the same as the non-inverting input which should be the same as pin 6 of the 4080.

At this point, you don't need to drive the 4080 directly. The triangle waveform on pin 6 of the 4080 and the straight DC on pin 7 should provide all of the drive you need.

Do you have the equivalent of IC4C shorted? - I've just did.

It is self-oscillating at 65khz with duty cycle of 40% for the low side and 60% for the high side. Don't know if that's okay.

But when i remove the short from IC4C and play 50hz sinewave to the rca - all gates have 50% duty cycle, low and high.

So i suppoose it's alright ?

Time to buy some IRF3710Z...

Another bummer...

I have fitted another HIP4080 (new one but it's not really from a reputable source) and one IRF3710Z per bank.

It was working as intended, there was audio and sinewave was clean.

Then i fitted all 12 mosfets (3 per bank) and....the second I've turned the amp on and relay has clicked - the hip4080 got hot and died, taking some mosfets out with it. There wasn't even a high current draw, something like 4-5 amps for couple of seconds.

The IRF3710Z are genuine 100%, as they come from reputable source and I've used them in many other hip based amps with no problems.

The HIP4080 i have my doubts.

So i think i had enough of this amp, i'm going to give up on this one, I don't like burning more money in this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.