Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Replaced Q3-Y; no change. Ordered replacement Q1 & Q2 and some spares. Probably get them installed in about a week. I'll report then. Thanks for your patience and help.

Replaced q-1 & q-2, no improvement.

On a bright note, I bought a Hakko FR-300 and used it to remove the SK369BlLs. It's a joy go use . The old FETs slid out easily and will fight another day.

So, what do you suggest for the next move?

Thanks

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
0.1uF is the recommended max for C3. But for distortion source finding purposes, not for permanent use, a 0.22uF will show if C3 was the problem. You wrote you show it around there with some probe. Although if without any info more than it got connected to a work in progress tube pre and then acted up I would first be suspicious of the output stage.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Understand.

I kind of expected if would be q-1 or 2. I've got 2 spare 170s, but only one in range, So, unless I order more, I'll have to re-install any 170s that don't test bad.

Already did that successfully in the past... just be sure to not overheat the legs of the 170.... I use miniature alligator clips that i put in each fet leg before soldering :)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Not a bad addition in general since you got some chokes lying around I presume. But LC maybe will drop more volts than aspiring to? OK, then a higher secondary Tx you may say. Anyway there is Duncan Sim before drilling the box or perform some measurements when still all that stuff is loose.