12 opamps chained - measurements

" Completely unconsciously, I was cuing my wife that Something Changed
and that I was Seriously Evaluating. And being that she liked to say things that made me happy because of the positive feedback to her, her response to those two cuts was to say something nice about the sound."

Her survival instinct kicking in :)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
A most revealing test is to compare OPA1611 and OPA1641 which have the same schematics as per TI except that 1611 has bipolar transistors for differential input stage and 1641 has Jfet instead of bipolar as input. The difference is very obvious for most recordings.

Fab

Maybe you can write up your test? Obviously, with your opinions, it was done fully double blind?

Jan

A most revealing test is to compare OPA1611 and OPA1641 which have the same schematics as per TI except that 1611 has bipolar transistors for differential input stage and 1641 has Jfet instead of bipolar as input. The difference is very obvious for most recordings.
We shall have to take your word for it, no measurements or sound files for us. It could be interesting to compare.

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Measurements are part of TI datasheet. Unfortunately I do not have the proper mean to record audio file with high fidelity from an opamp output.
I suggest that you get free samples from TI and try it in your own circuit.

My goal here is not to convince peoples by study but to simply open their mind to try something simple. As for anything I expect some peoples not hearing a difference for the reasons mentioned earlier. However, I also expect that many peoples would hear the differences between the 2 “similar” opamps I have indicated.

Is there anybody claiming that all (audio) opamps sound the same ?:eek:
I believe that this thread original goal was to describe the performance of the NE5532 opamp and not conclude more than that ....;) but peoples started to interpret the results...
Maybe we are hijacking this thread and if so I am sorry for that...:rolleyes:

Fab

Last edited:
I believe that this thread original goal was to describe the performance of the NE5532 opamp and not conclude more than that ....;) but peoples started to interpret the results...
Who knows? The chain made me think of mixing desks and how what you are listening to has probably already been through even more NE5532s than that.

An interesting ethical question: which is more dishonest/reprehensible, selling a "discrete opamp" which is just window dressing around a real NE5532, or selling a discrete opamp which has poorer specs but claiming its somehow more special?

One might argue that dishonesty is not a question of degree, but rather one of intent. But it does raise an interesting question.

Given that last set of graphs came from a signal that went through a dozen op-amps in series, I am truly impressed. If I could have gotten that kind of results from some of my 1970s and 80s audio designs I would have called a press conference.

" Completely unconsciously, I was cuing my wife that Something Changed
and that I was Seriously Evaluating. And being that she liked to say things that made me happy because of the positive feedback to her, her response to those two cuts was to say something nice about the sound."

Her survival instinct kicking in :)

I forget where I read it but apparently when doing "Which do you like better" there's a subconscious tendency to show/play/display the "better" option last cuing your test subject to pick the right one.

Is there anybody claiming that all (audio) opamps sound the same ?:eek:

Ok, I'll bite (knowing I might regret it). I will suggest that when two amplifiers display similar frequency response, noise levels, distortions, etc. they will indeed sound the same.

Yeah, that would actually be my fault... Sorry Mark.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I forget where I read it but apparently when doing "Which do you like better" there's a subconscious tendency to show/play/display the "better" option last cuing your test subject to pick the right one.

I have been at several occasions where the 'shootout' was done by playing two tracks A and B on two DUTs in AB-BA fashion.
Looking back at the results, overwhelmingly A won, on unrelated occasions, even with different type of DUTs (amps, record players, speakers).

Knowing this, in one occasion I was able to arrange things to my advantage making me the winner of 8 competitors ;-)

Jan

Well, maybe not ALL. A 741 and an OPA1656 most likely sound different. But I would venture to say that it is VERY difficult to distinguish between the BEST available. Maybe even between an NE5534 and anything else out there.

Opamps were originally developed as convenient blocks of controllable gain which is achieved through negative feedback. You take two opamps, lets say a 741 and an opa1656 per your example, set them up in a "gain of 10" block... you now have two circuits both with extremely low distortion and frequency response flat to nearly a megahertz, how different can they possibly be?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Some of us on here (diyAudio) did some 'listening tests' where readers could try and identify which opamp they were listening to. Although the files are long gone, you might find the reading interesting. There have been others to, notably by member PMA who produces high technical quality files.

ULTIMATE OPAMP SHOOTOUT... Where you get to decide.

And although unrelated, as an LTspice user you might find this interesting:
Welcome to the (virtual) listening room.

Opamps were originally developed as convenient blocks of controllable gain which is achieved through negative feedback. You take two opamps, lets say a 741 and an opa1656 per your example, set them up in a "gain of 10" block... you now have two circuits both with extremely low distortion and frequency response flat to nearly a megahertz, how different can they possibly be?

The noise floor of the 741 would likely be the give away. I repaired a line level mixer many years ago that used 741s and the noise floor was quite poor, but probably ok for playing the tapes and vinyl of the day.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Naughty Jan. Tell us about some other times you've cheated and how.

I was lucky that I survived the first couple rounds. Then there were 4 left and we could put our names on the schedule and I took an 'A' slot. Won that round, now we were two left. I was in the A position. The other guy came to me with a story that he needed more time between tracks (this was a recording-replay contest) due to broken tape, and would I let him go 'A'. I looked at him and I realized he knew too, so I said I'd be happy with the way it was. Upset him mightily, and he lost.

But there was more to it. The recording was from a live trio (violin, piano and French horn). During the rehearsals I noticed that listeners reacted almost bodily to a particular sequence where the violin and horn faded to silence, and a few seconds later the piano very softly and emotionally came back.
We had to record two sequences, one mandatory and the other free choice, and for the latter I chose the one I just described.
Piece of cake, the other guys never had a chance :cool:

Once you figure out how perception works, you can pretty much get any result you want, especially with participants that think they have magic ears. Unless it is double blind.

Jan

The noise floor of the 741 would likely be the give away. I repaired a line level mixer many years ago that used 741s and the noise floor was quite poor, but probably ok for playing the tapes and vinyl of the day.

Way back on my first big DIY in the late 1970s I build a pre-amp loaded stem to stern with 741s ... phono, 9 band EQ, tape loops ... no problem.

Yes, 12 in a row might expose the noise. Although I wouldn't use them today, one on one beside other opamps, I suspect the 741 would still hold it's own for most audio uses.

Last edited: