Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5
Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2016, 02:53 PM   #501
Carl_Huff is offline Carl_Huff  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik000000 View Post
which ground connections? from the ps to the main board?
The power and ground for the IO board are in the ribbon cable that runs between the main and IO boards. Zooming in on your PICs those ribbon cables look a bit 'dodgy' to me.
Old 3rd April 2016, 11:03 PM   #502
hfxrzw is offline hfxrzw  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Got it playing and it is good!! :-)
Old 6th April 2016, 04:54 AM   #503
HaroldHill is offline HaroldHill  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
Harold,
Screw head, shoulder washer, voltage regulator, thermal pad, heat sink, nut would be the Normal way to do it.
Thanks, Rick. I got your reply while I was on vacation, hence my slow reply. Appreciated nonetheless.
Old 24th April 2016, 05:48 PM   #504
smurfer77 is offline smurfer77  Australia
diyAudio Member

Sadly, my PCBs are still sitting in their packaging. One day i will get around to this project. Have now caught up on the thread and it's great to see some of peoples preamps getting some nice cases.

Part of the reason I haven't built this yet is I have need for less (0 to 1) balanced inputs and more need for RCA inputs (3-5) so I didn't order the enhanced IO board. Anyone else in the same boat?

Last edited by smurfer77; 24th April 2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 2nd May 2016, 12:49 AM   #505
diyAudio Member

I have noted that the amplification is considerable. With normal connection (tape out from a Linn DS or Meridian Explorer2 as an input) I can only use the volume between closed and maybe 09:00. Power amp is CJ Premier 11A. It sounds great, but I'm obviously not having a lot of (volume) control. Have others got the same experience? Thanks, Rene
Old 7th May 2016, 02:53 PM   #506
diyAudio Member

Has anyone got a front panel set-up for Front Panel Express? I find the software not very intuitive and would like to see how someone else did it. Thanks, Rene
Old 10th May 2016, 01:28 AM   #507
anystereo is offline anystereo  United States
diyAudio Member

Any kits left? I am looking to get on board, albeit a bit late

David
Old 10th May 2016, 03:18 AM   #508
Carl_Huff is offline Carl_Huff  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anystereo View Post
Any kits left? I am looking to get on board, albeit a bit late

David
David,

You have a private message
Old 15th May 2016, 06:09 AM   #509
HaroldHill is offline HaroldHill  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi all,
I’ve created SVG and PDF files for the front and back panel of my DSelf preamp. I’m using a reclaimed enclosure (roughly 44cm wide by 4.4cm high) that probably won't match what you’re using. However, the location of the holes on the back and front panels are largely determined by the PCBs, so these might be of interest to other builders. (I haven’t indicated the location of the mounting holes or the IEC yet.)

You can get the files here, in the subfolder labelled Panel Drawings:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...0k&usp=sharing

To make sure these will work for you, I’d suggest printing them out on paper and testing them with your build, to double check I didn’t botch anything up. Please let me know if I did.

(In the same folder, I’ve got another subfolder that contains revised BOMs. I found that the original BOMs had some spare parts. These BOMs are reconciled to just the parts I used to make my preamp.)

EDIT: A point of clarification. I haven't used the panel files to create the panels yet. But once I fine-tune them to my build (mounting holes, IEC) I'll have them cut locally by someone with a CNC machine. In the meantime, I'd appreciate feedback.

Last edited by HaroldHill; 15th May 2016 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 15th May 2016, 11:31 AM   #510
georgebrooke is offline georgebrooke  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I am really looking forward to getting my panels cut professionally. I will send feedback as soon as I can this all set up. Thanks for the contribution

George

Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5Hide this!Advertise here!