ZM's 2SK2087C musings, phase two - SissySIT (42) as a cradle

Take M. Davis Fran dance album

If Brass (especially when you hear Miles's trumpet) sounds dull and boring, something is wrong with your system

If it's on the verge but not actually drilling your brain - that's proper system you have

If it's drilling your brain, something is wrong with your system
This thread, photos and everything else are great and I greatly enjoyed the show!

However, I've never listened to this Miles album despite having many, but I can say that in my system (who knows if here too) exactly the same thing you described happens (replacing "brass" with "electric guitar") with Frank Zappa's Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar album, starting from track 03 disc 2 onwards.
I evaluate any changes in my system through that album in the way you described...

yes, but why?

Kitty ate your fingers, so you can't reach power off switch?

:clown:
😆re-checked lq, offset and same for input buffers. Judged stability to be adequate, inserted JP101 + JP202.

Ran a long RCA cable from preamp to SissySit, Diatone 610 clones connected.

Searching for Miles Fran Dance, will try @ulogon suggestion of the Zappa tracks. Meanwhile I tend toward Miles' Sketches of Spain for the initial go.

Amp plays music. No buzz or hum. Will continue to burn in and periodically monitor offset.

Then connect the Altec 420as

Will circle back with @ZenMod for suggestions for big choke to pair with 15" Eminence Beta bass helpers.

Your Humble Servant,

Jim

Reactions: 1 user
SissySit 42 now burning in downstream of vintage japanese and german sources into IronPre through LxMini. 42 running mids and highs into Altec 420a and Aleph J into Eminence Beta SLOB from speaker camp.

I want to try just the Sissy with choke for bass helpers, need to identify which big choke.

Right at this moment, hearing Moonshake by Can. Singer Damo Suzuki passed away last month.

Quick build notes: Keratherm sourced from Amazon, the piece big enough to handle a few pairs of THF-H1S, traced and cut, punched out mount holes with hollow punch. The shoulder washers identified by Ben Mah from Mouser fit perfectly, though must trim length easy with a utility blade. @ZenMod great hint to use M4 studs to mount faceplate, 20mm stainless. Hardware assortments are nice, I like Belleville washers with grippy radial texture. 80mm M4 standoffs to hold up the PS boards above the chokes from eBay, had to slightly hog out the mount holes on the PCBs. Used dead old MOSFETS as main board standoffs, carefully measured depth of the live IRP devices stacked with Keratherm and matched that figure with thick paper shims on the standoffs so the boards are hung perfectly parallel to heat sinks. Chassis sourced from an excellent member of this forum, 40 year aerospace machinist did the drilling and tapping super accurate on the 5U 500s. Also, small eyeglass screwdriver works well to adjust trimpots. And I got the funny book:

funny books.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Keratherm - just be 158% sure that you bought 86/82

I got ooked once, got wrong one instead of paid 86/82, paid dearly ....... very

now - Sissy - how it sounds?
Further to 'how it sounds?' -

Special beast from an earlier quote. Vinyl playback wasn't right, the EAR84 clone phono pre has too much gain. Pulled that out replaced by PS Audio PSIII Phono Preamplifier. Magic result.

Local record monger provided a Gong album, Shamal. A 49 year old Demonstration Not For Sale pressing. Produced by Nick Mason.

Fabulous sound.

gong.jpg

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...o-sissysit-42-as-a-cradle.387767/post-7636400

Now that the SissySit 42 has had some hours logged, circling back. Reviewed both Miles' Fran-Dance and FrankZ's Shut up and play yer guitar. I see the method here, absent objective measure the 42 passes scrutiny. Horns and guitar are not dull, and on the edge of drilling the brain, but not over the top in that way.

It is good with King Crimson also. Saw them twice, live at the Greek Theater mid-aughts, life altering experience with Fripp, Belew, Levin, Bruford.

Here's one for you @Monk55 snapped last weekend at the DeYoung Museum, exhibit of photographer Irving Penn. You will recognize the band on the right. Sixties quiz: who recognized the band on the left?

dead.jpg