Zen Acousta

Fantastic! thank you so much for the pictures. I like that legs it gives a slimmer apperance than a box standing flat-footed on the floor.

If you get strange things in the midrange chamfer the inner edge of the subbaffles in front of the driver. At least my Goodman Axiom sounded better with chamfered edges.

The legs are crucial i think, to take them off the floor(like spikes to conventional speakers).I' ve intended a very small surface of contact to the floor. Those rings in front of the speakers were meant to be a kind of waveguides .
I did not measured anything, that was just my idea after reading different opinions on different forums. So, it was my conclusion.
The interesting thing is that i have listened to this speakers without floor decoupling and without the front rings and not painted ....and the difference it s huge
After finishing the sound became mature and accurate. Very dynamic , very present (with energy) in all of the ranges.
Bass is articulate and fast....yet deep enough for the majority of us. Midrange is very forward , deep in terms of stage, and with lots of details.
And now the treble...i don t think of an tweeter that could do the job better and that could integrate with the midrange that well. So, pretty damn good...
All in all ....those speakers with these "audio nirvanas" do a very good marriage...
I don't see a week spot to these speakers....highly recommended!

Attachments

• P1050377.jpg
    P1050377.jpg
    715.6 KB · Views: 505
Nice, Very Nice! I was just looking for those!

Have you thought about bent wood panels? Steam bending and kerfs could work well.

Thanks for posting, and plus you got a nice mention on Stereophile: 7th picture down. Burning Amp's Slow Burn | Stereophile.com

Thanks for your suggestion.

Some of my western electric 22a project about 4 years as picture show.

Bending curve have better visual effect, higher woodcraft, and smoother transmission.

By my experience, bending curve increase wood texture stiffness and harder structure, on the other hand, higher sonically resonance.

So, I think bending curve work better for front loading horn, and trend to high frequency or brighter tone.

Personally I prefer combine multi flat panel curve, the sound resonance point is much lower, the tone deeper, better used for back loading horn.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_0646.jpg
    IMG_0646.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_0451.jpg
    IMG_0451.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 568
Koho,
Wow! Nice work with those pieces - especially the biscuit joint slots. It looks like the wood has been saturated in some sort of resin and hardened to a plastic like material? What did you do to the plywood to get it to look like that - especially the grain direction?
X

Thankyou!

Will appy shellac on horn surface at final step.
cut plywood into 3/4 strips and put total 18 strips glue together,
I call them super-plywood:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    706.5 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Great looking build there Koho. :cheers: I wish I could hear it, do you have a good digital audio recorder with stereo mics? Maybe make a recording and upload some sample sound clips. I do this with all my builds so folks can get an idea when they use headphones to listen.

Btw, did you ever make the BLH with the driver chamber and throat? It was supposed to increase bass extension and reduce mid frequency leak out through the horn mouth.