• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

yaoin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
kaan said:

I'm glad that I could be of help :)

Not much of the help but I learned something of this adventure.

But I still don't know were are those you wrote

"Change the caps in the circut for some of better quality."

And it seem that maybe your idea doesn't work either just cost me more money and increase the profit of Lundahl as the rest of the content of the amplifier maybe won't adapt the new transformers.

It's like buying more copper as this amp is allready 30 kilos and as I see things the transformators are at least 25 kilos as the other things surely doesn't weight more than 5.

I forgot something!

It might be so to that you hate everything made in china as people did before with all the japanese crap to but times are changing.

See that camera up there it's a japanese hand made 8x10" view camera with artistic finish but now the Chinese do it much better and cheaper, and believe me because I know much about cameras

boboo said:

Not much of the help but I learned something of this adventure.

But I still don't know were are those you wrote

"Change the caps in the circut for some of better quality."

And it seem that maybe your idea doesn't work either just cost me more money and increase the profit of Lundahl as the rest of the content of the amplifier maybe won't adapt the new transformers.

It's like buying more copper as this amp is allready 30 kilos and as I see things the transformators are at least 25 kilos as the other things surely doesn't weight more than 5.

Try reading my advice like this:

try #1
if that isn't enough try #2
if you still feel it can be better yet try #3

Most of the weight in a transformer is the iron, not the copper.
The output transformer in this kind of tube amp is often the determining factor of how good the sound is.

Please do a search on output transformers in this forum and get a bit wiser.

Unfortunatly it seems that the people that would normally jump in and help is staying away from this thread. I suspect that it has to do with your typical scandinavian use of english that is considered very rude. You could try to learn to use the words "please" and "thank you" once in a while ;)

Edit: I have no problem with chinese products, in fact I use chinese EL34B in my amp :)

You already asked... ;)

The amplifier has a certain "level" of quality, tubes, caps, some resistors, even diodes are consumables, and can be replaced without affecting the cost of the amplifier significantely...

If you "need" to replace transformers, you should buy a different amplifier, or build one...

The same goes for expensive tubes or capacitors, of course...

kaan said:

Unfortunatly it seems that the people that would normally jump in and help is staying away from this thread. I suspect that it has to do with your typical scandinavian use of english that is considered very rude. You could try to learn to use the words "please" and "thank you" once in a while ;)

Edit: I have no problem with chinese products, in fact I use chinese EL34B in my amp :)

It's no rudness here at all :) Just a little frustration and when you step in and tell me that I should change the entire amp don't do things to the better. :)

Sorry, if I hurt your feelings but I'm not rude at all! Maybe difficult to say thanks or please but as a contributor on the phot.net I got used to it. I'm not there for the thanks and please I'm there to help what ever I can and that satisfy me. I realy don't need thanks or please for that.

But thanks to remind me and of course i would take this step by step and if it doesn't work than sell off the thing!

I believe that my speaker system is to large for this or something else is the problem!
As I told here before I tryed a lots of others when I knew that the Harman is unrepairable and than I got some real famous brand on try!
It's something realy special with the harman.

Lowrider said:
You already asked... ;)

The amplifier has a certain "level" of quality, tubes, caps, some resistors, even diodes are consumables, and can be replaced without affecting the cost of the amplifier significantely...

If you "need" to replace transformers, you should buy a different amplifier, or build one...

I agree with that.
Some people do buy these cheap amps as a starting point for constructing a semi DIY amp however and this is a very good way to get up the steep learning curve because you can concetrate on one part of the amp at the time.

boboo said:

It's no rudness here at all :) Just a little frustration and when you step in and tell me that I should change the entire amp don't do things to the better. :)

Sorry, if I hurt your feelings but I'm not rude at all! Maybe difficult to say thanks or please but as a contributor on the phot.net I got used to it. I'm not there for the thanks and please I'm there to help what ever I can and that satisfy me. I realy don't need thanks or please for that.

But thanks to remind me and of course i would take this step by step and if it doesn't work than sell off the thing!

Don't worry, you didn't hurt my feelings ;)
I know that you are not trying to be rude. What I am saying is that people that speak english as their primary language probably will think you are very rude because you don't say "please" and "thanks" and so on.

Good luck with your adventures into DIYaudio :)

Lowrider said:
You already asked... ;)

Yes you are right Litvania! :)

I don't know much about things but I understand too that there are a some limitation what you can do. I can buy an expencive transformer but maybe the rest of the amps the small things not manage it at all. As they are not manufactured for those or the amp is not designed so. I don't think either that's a right way to go.

Most are cylindrical shape, connectors can be all on the same end, or one at each end, some can have more than one capacitor in a phisical cylinder, some are boxes, like the blue ones in my amplifier, and in yours...

Now, you dont want to know the sizes they can be... :bigeyes:

Your silo top mounting is very convenient, cools better, and you can change the size a bit more freely...

The first stage is different, you have a pentode I have a double triode aikido, second stage is identical, except for the tubes, if I could I would combine your first stage and my second stage...

Have you tried triode mode, if your speakers are sensitive enough, you might like, and then you can also try no NFB... :angel:

I am going to be burned for the last statement... :hot:

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
boboo said:
I believe that my speaker system is to large for this or something else is the problem!

Just maybe, there is some polarity inversion somewhere, even in the internal wiring of Yaqin itself, typical for unexplainable lack of bass, due to acoustic cancellation of opposite polarity woofer movement. Just reverse the polarity of the wires in only one speaker input, and listen if bass comes up stronger. Very easy check, just to be sure. If not fruitful, then borrow a preamp and drive the Harman's main in RCAs. See if it (most probably) skips that worn out input selector. The Yaqin just has power (main) in RCAs at its front. These are not outputs, that is why you can't drive the Harman from there.

salas said:
Just maybe, there is some polarity inversion somewhere, even in the internal wiring of Yaqin itself, typical for unexplainable lack of bass, due to acoustic cancellation of opposite polarity woofer movement. Just reverse the polarity of the wires in only one speaker input, and listen if bass comes up stronger.

That is a very good thought...

Also, I dont remember, have you tried triode mode, maybe it is more adequate to your speakers...

Lowrider said:

That is a very good thought...

Also, I dont remember, have you tried triode mode, maybe it is more adequate to your speakers...

I did tryed both ways a the instruction states that sund would be richer on TR, and it were but now change of the bass.
When switch to UT it were louder but mostly on mid and high freqvency.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.