• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

yaoin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lowrider said:
Unless you want to go for expensive NOS, you wont go wrong with the best current production 6SN7, Electro-Harmonix, 10.85€ in the same store...

I would not replace the KT88 until I was sure I liked the amplifier...

I find this is this a top brand?

http://cgi.ebay.de/6SN7-Elektro-Har...ZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

and this is a kind of military version should I go for it or not?

http://cgi.ebay.de/6SN7-6N8S-Russia...ageNameZWD4VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m124

Lowrider said:
Unless you want to go for expensive NOS, you wont go wrong with the best current production 6SN7, Electro-Harmonix, 10.85€ in the same store...

I would not replace the KT88 until I was sure I liked the amplifier...

Okay so I can't go wrong with the Electro harmonix but which one is the best brand
also I find this for a replacement of the 12ax7 manufactured by Telefunken, so how about those?

http://cgi.ebay.de/Matched-pair-ECC...ZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Here is one NOS but tell me what that is?

http://cgi.ebay.de/MATCHED-PAIR-ECC...ZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Lowrider said:

You will find many NOS (new old stock) expensive tubes, and they do sound better, but I would wait to be sure you like the amplifier before you buy those... ;)

Portugal, I can't back now I spend a lot's of money on this amp buy+shipping+custom and taxes so either I fix it or use that 5 ton press right now! :)

Explain what NOS is.

And you wrote earlier

"I wouldnt, that way you will never be sure if it is the amplifier or the tubes, you can gamble later..."

What do you mean by that?

Lowrider said:

If you use unknown quality tubes, like the ones you have now, you will never know if the amplifier or the tubes are guilty of the sound you dont like...

Okay so I should go for those well known brands which is everybody's favorite.

I can understand that, but how shoul I go? change the preamp tubes first and than step by step the others?

Okay but this one is not expencive and its a military tubes

http://cgi.ebay.de/6SN7-6N8S-Russia...ageNameZWD4VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m124

One more thing what is a double triod and what is the NOS thing. I got to get answer on those.

boboo said:

Thanks, but give me the option which brand is the best and which one is the second best.
As i understand this one is the preamp tube so it's got to be good.

What you are asking is impossible to answer.
You might as well ask what car brand is best.
So what do you like better? volvo or saab?

My advice is that you try some good inexpensive tubes before you go for the Rolls-Royce.

boboo said:

Okay so I should go for those well known brands which is everybody's favorite.

I can understand that, but how shoul I go? change the preamp tubes first and than step by step the others?

Okay but this one is not expencive and its a military tubes

One more thing what is a double triod and what is the NOS thing. I got to get answer on those.

NOS is short for New Old Stock. This means that these tubes were made long ago by manufactures that probably no longer make tubes (like 40 years ago). It also means that they are unused.

A double triode is a tube that contains two tube elements in the same glass bottle. 12AX7 is a double tube.

You can change the preamp tubes first as this will get you the largest performance change. But if you find that the transport cost is large then it might be a good idea to order a full set of tubes.

Aside from the tubes there can be any number of things wrong with the amp you bought. Some of them can be revealed if you open the amp from the buttom and take a few close up pictures of the electronics and post them here.
Another likely cause for the bass problem is the transformers used.
Try to take a look at some of the best here: http://www.lundahl.se

Edit: factual error corrected.

A Double Triode is essentially two triode valves in a single glass envelope(common examples are the ECC81/82/83 family(12AU7/12AX7, etc.) though there are many others. Whilst not relevant to the amplifiers under discussion, there are/were many other examples of 'double' or even 'triple' valves, such as EABC80(a double diode-triode used as detector and 1st AF preamp. in tube radios), ECL86(triode-pentode), etc.
I think the question about NOS(New-Old Stock) products has now been answered- they are basically unused, surplus items, left over from production runs, or military surplus, etc.
As to which is the 'best' tube or valve, my honest opinion is that it's the one that sounds best to you. Not very helpful perhaps, but there are as many opinions on this as brands of valves. Here in England at one time service engineers and designers would have preferred MULLARD valves. Not always easy to find now, and getting expensive. JJ have a good pedigree, both for tubes and Capacitors. Of Svetlana & Sovtek I know less, so cannot comment. There is a pdf document on the Tubetown site (<www.tubetown-net/info/doc/tt-tubemap.pdf>) although it seems mainly to do with guitar amplifiers, rather than HiFi.
( I note that kaan has answered the 'double triode question in the previous post, with one error. The 12AX7 is a double TRIODE, not double pentode)
If it's not sacrilege to say this here I do feel that many people see their amplifiers and other equipment as an end in itself, not a means to an end. We buy/build the things in order to listen to music, etc., thus if it sounds OK to an individual, that's all that matters, and what sounds good to one person may not appeal to another. It's a good idea to bear that in mind thru all the experimenting, I feel.

kaan said:

Some of them can be revealed if you open the amp from the buttom and take a few close up pictures of the electronics and post them here.
Another likely cause for the bass problem is the transformers used.
Try to take a look at some of the best here: http://www.lundahl.se

Edit: factual error corrected.

Okay I will fix the images lather in the evening and thaks for the info

The 5 ton press!!

I wouldn't take a 5 ton(ne) press to anything I had recently paid £300+ for! Shouild I not be happy with it, I would probably contact the supplier before doing anything else. Other than that I'd maybe experiment (change valves, etc.)
You have maybe by now seen the circuit diagrams for the Yaquin MC100b? posted on this forum?

Re: The 5 ton press!!

OXAUDIO said:
I wouldn't take a 5 ton(ne) press to anything I had recently paid £300+ for! Shouild I not be happy with it, I would probably contact the supplier before doing anything else. Other than that I'd maybe experiment (change valves, etc.)
You have maybe by now seen the circuit diagrams for the Yaquin MC100b? posted on this forum?

The idea with the 5 ton press begin with my half dead Harman kardon and when finaly I thouhgt that I find a replacement and when I heard that slopy bass.

In my desperation I thought why not? I mean I do drink up that sum under one year in a form of alchohol in different bar's. :) So what the hell?
Not everyday got a chance to press a brand new amp is it? :)
It could be a totaly new experience.

Now it's just to many things need to be changed so I begin to believe that i brought a 30 kilo junk!

Some one told here that they save copper out of the transformators but that must be wrong as some small things inside can't weight that much, So it must be copper all right but maybe in the wrong place! :)

So if I had to spend as much money as I give for it than the 5 ton press is not an bad idea. :)

by the way thanks for the info. I'm learning step by step.
Yes I have seen the circuit diagrams but its' like the hieroglifs for me in Egypt. not very understandable! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.