XSA Labs TL Speaker

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Just comparing the XO board and the binding post plates says a lot about the differences in quality.

1699999233094.jpeg

1699999249314.jpeg

Binding post cup on the Prodigy:
AHgXxcPePxnZzVFRrAizxN-1200-80.jpg.webp

And I wonder if the Prodigy is birch plywood or MDF?

Reactions: 1 user
Nearly all known Philips screws are weak produced stuff from China and even when used the right tool they are failing. I never had issues with a torx and comparable used force. For speakers it may be no issue but for me this type of screw is replaced every time I need to lay my hands on it. Just a pile of bad experiences

If it's a fully built speaker sent to the end user, I don't understand what all the fuss is about. I don't like Philips either, but for something like this I feel like it would be more the manufacturers' problem, not the buyer. Plus, if for whatever reason a buyer did want to mess with the screws, lots of people don't have torx drivers, so Philips might even be preferable

Of course you are right, it's up to the manufacturer to use whatever he likes. But this is a DIY forum and my opinion is only about the quality and trust issues due to problems I faced with these types.

Nowadays not everyone got torx at home...?
That's for me totally surprising. Maybe this is more a European thing but I really thought that it's an international standard. Is it not that common in the US?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I only got Torx drivers 2 years now. Hex drive is very prevalent though. I also like square head screw drive. It is less prone to stripping vs hex shape variants. I use that on baffle of many of my speakers. You can see it on the 10 screws for the baffle but still Philips on the drivers (easy to find part from Parts Express #6-3/4in wood screws in black oxide).

1700143848929.png

Okay, I hadn't been aware that it's so different and I'm sorry for using your thread for screw discussions.

All the drivers I'm buying are delivered with hex screws on some rare occasions even torx is provided.
I just had it once at importing speakers from parts express that Philips were used.

If done right in production and handling (!) you can of course use whatever screw type suits your tools or experience.
I don't know if this statement is correct but since the beginning of 2000 torx got more and more on the market and since 2010 it's popular on woodscrews and replaced nearly the PZ type.

The mentioned square heads I have never seen but I got the right bit for it in my Makita set.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, I hadn't been aware that it's so different and I'm sorry for using your thread for screw discussions.
I'm sure it's welcome 🙂 X brought it up after all

I didn't know that about Europe. You guys are ahead of the curve in that department. We find torx used in many of the products we buy, but most households don't carry torx drivers if I'm not mistaken. I remember a few years ago, I wanted to take my laptop apart, and before relenting and buying some myself, I asked all my friends if they had any I could borrow. None did!