XSA Labs TL Speaker

Having very good components in the part of the filter corresponding to the tweeter is highly recommended if you listen to good/very good recordings. Why not change the Audyn red for another? A safe bet is Jantzen Z-Superior.

https://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Attachments

• JANTZEN AUDIO SUPERIOR Z-CAP Capacitor 800V.png
    JANTZEN AUDIO SUPERIOR Z-CAP Capacitor 800V.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 75
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I also have option of using BP-603 Viborg pure copper posts. Same ones used on Warp-1 amp. But I think the Viborgs I have now are just fine. Copper plated brass.

The ETI’s look nice though.

Production crossover will use custom manufactured MKP film cap as well as custom wound inductors. The photo you see uses off the shelf ones and Audyn Q4 is what I use for prototypes.

Reactions: 1 user
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Final listening test in bedroom setup. Still superb and stunning sound. Love these speakers! Final song played before boxing them up to ship to client is Dire Straights’ Brothers in Arms. Amazing rendition. The weight of the bass and richness of the intro’s pageantry is amazing. The clarity and emotion and visceral feel of the vocals gives me goosebumps. Hugh Dean’s Deltic Class AB amp did the job perfectly here. Simple Amazon Dot as streamer source is not bad at all. The XO voicing is spot on.

IMG_4463.jpeg

IMG_4466.jpeg
IMG_4465.jpeg
IMG_4467.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have some great news to announce: Galion Audio, Inc of Canada will be selling these speakers under license. Galion is owned by Thomas Tan (Thomas and Stereo YT channel).

They will have some custom voicing tweaks by Galion and you can see the new crossover designed just for Galion below. The speaker itself will be finished in antique brown stained birch plywood.

Here is the crossover PCB. The capacitors and inductors are all custom wound.
1697519346929.jpeg

And here is the CNC’d aluminum binding post plate, labeled with laser etching.
1697519408857.png

?

Reactions: 1 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Pre-production sample of the shipping box. The ink will be switched to black for final production. You know you are getting close to a product launch when you are making boxes!

1697542972293.jpeg

The Galion TS Voyager TL speaker will come in a finish similar to this - deep antique brown stained birch with a satin clear coat finish and matte black painted baffle made of birch. Here is an example from the Vanguard:
1697543146642.jpeg

1697543169217.jpeg

The speaker will have a magnetically attached black cloth grill. A set of precision cut open cell foam blocks will be provided to obstruct the TL vents to turn the speaker into an aperiodic/sealed alignment for cases where a reduction in the bass extension is desired.

1697543344817.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
That aluminum foil / paper in oil VitaminQ bypass is already the single most expensive component in the crossover. But it’s the critical part of the voicing.
I was skeptical about it but decided to verify for myself what others were saying, without spending a lot of money on the test. I am delighted with the Miflex that I put on my modified KEF Q100 5.25" coaxial. As soon as I put it on a speaker it plays Hotel California theme. The difference compared to the other was enormous no matter how much the channel changed. There were two of us, and we both looked at each other surprised, amazed.

I still can not find a convincing explanation (perhaps even harmonics are created, the loading/unloading is faster...) but I cannot deny the big difference (it is true that my second audio system is highly optimized, at a hardware and software level).

Old pictures.

An idea: the next speakers you design should perhaps use a 6.5/7" woofer, with the tweeter as close as possible and moved to the side. With F3 approximately 38-44 Hz (-3 dB).

Attachments

• KEF-Q100-crossover-MiFlex-bypass-2.jpg
    KEF-Q100-crossover-MiFlex-bypass-2.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 76
  • KEF-Q100-crossover-with-Mills-06R8-5-watts-resistor.png
    KEF-Q100-crossover-with-Mills-06R8-5-watts-resistor.png
    376.9 KB · Views: 76
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I typically won’t design a speaker with a tweeter that’s offset to the side. This does reduce diffraction - but not to the extent that it is a huge difference to the detriment of a look that is not as appealing and manufacturing requires a dedicated left and right channel.

6.5in woofer with close tweeter but not quite 38-43Hz. Statement 100 speaker:

1697553471325.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users