• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

xrk971 Desktop Class A (DCA) Headphone Amp

Well the last bits of hardware including the 5525 DC jacks arrived today, if I have time hope to have it up and running this weekend!

I have tons of those 5.5mm barrel jack connectors - must have been one of those Aliexpress bag of 50 for $3 orders. I would have thrown one in for you if I knew.

I am surprised no one is finishing their builds yet. This amp is a quick and easy build. Pretty much guaranteed to work the first time.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Alum angle stock makes very handy “panels” for mounting jacks, pots, bananas, RCA’s etc. they are especially suite for open gram “amps on a plank” constructions. The plexiglas is a great idea and looks better than wood. Give it a try. I have so many amps that if I were to case each one in an aluminum enclosure it would be prohibitively expensive and more than that - time consuming. So far I have only two real cases for my amps and the big 4U Dissipante is made to be easily serviceable and amps switched in and out.

For headphone amps, cases with pre-cut RCA, headphone out, volume pot and AC mains input are great options. You still have to drill holes for the PCB standoff’s, PSU, etc. and amp heatsinking if outputs. It becomes a full day project to just to put an amp in a case.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Like this:

Build This MoFo!

653521d1514551219-build-mofo-mofo-speaker-lab-main-closeup-01b-jpg

653522d1514551219-build-mofo-mofo-ch1-closeup-03-jpg

From hardware store. 25mm x 25mm x 1.5mm thick.

I got it singing! 10.1 &10.28v (20.22v Vcc after the multiplier and filter) across each resistor bank with the stock values!
Is it worth balancing out?
Haven't worked out how to attach pictures from my phone yet so that'll have to wait

Maybe because of the capacity for the board to absorb heat, it's very difficult to remove components/solder from clogged holes , the solder never quite gets hot enough. (iron at 400C)
Was thinking of swapping caps (and resistors) but I don't think it'll be possible...

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nice work! Congrats on being the very first besides me to build the DCA. It was easy wasn’t it? You deserve a pat on the back for perfect DC bias with DC midpoint after MOSFET source at 1/2Vcc. Doesn’t get better than that so you will have the best possible clip performance. Meaning 500+mW into 50ohm cans! Not bad for pure SE Class A headphone amp with 2 actives and no choke loading. (For comparison, the PCA with 65mA bias only managed 50mW).

attachment.php

One thing to double check is the polarity on your audio input and outputs. The board exhibts mirror symmetry at the midpoint (left-to-right). So 4 jacks left to right are
+ve -ve / -ve +ve / +ve -ve / -ve +ve

Why? Because JPS64 designs for symmetry for best noise performance and for ground loops to be minimized. It makes for custom wired connectors though. So I think you need to flip polarity of left input and right output. Then your phase will be correct and soundstage will be much better.

Use a small sharp tip of an Xacto or needle to push the barb of the crimped JST connector down to pull it out. Lift barb back up a little and reinstall in correct order.

Last edited:
Thanks! The polarity looks wrong because I ordered the pre-crimped leads off ebay since I don't have the crimping tool. Not sure if the picture is clear enough to see, but there's one red and one black wire going to the ground lug ;)

Also if you look closer, the 68R resistor is actually 680 - I misread the BOM! Theres a small 1/8W 75R underneath to bring it back to 68R

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks! The polarity looks wrong because I ordered the pre-crimped leads off ebay since I don't have the crimping tool. Not sure if the picture is clear enough to see, but there's one red and one black wire going to the ground lug ;)

Also if you look closer, the 68R resistor is actually 680 - I misread the BOM! Theres a small 1/8W 75R underneath to bring it back to 68R

Ok, I see that now. You caught that. Better to pull them out and resolved in correct color. But if it doesn’t bother you that’s cool.