XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order Bandpass

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thing is I've never been happy with lenses of rigid material. No matter how much I pad them on the driver facing side they always have a tinge of cupped hands.
The only thing that works for me is material that absorb high frequencies like a thick felt plate or foam that will let lower frequencies pass.
Maybe it would be an idea to not have the slot do double duty as big vent in a BVR and HF lens?
Maybe separate the two functions.

There may be something to using foam core panels for the Karlson aperture - it vibrates and dissipates some sound, lets a lot of mids come thru. Actually, I noticed this when I tested a stiff foam core K aperture vs a flexible one made of a single sheet of foam core.

EV with their inexpensive Interface B 6th order assisted passive radiator reflex used ~1/4" thick felt over a 2.5" diameter Peerless cone tweeter. I think the hole was no larger than 3/4". With Karlson's K15, I've not heard serious problems with wood "wings" - - I have heard them modulate mids if not pinned to the front shelf with dowel rods, glue and nails. I've heard similar modulation effects with U baffles and vintage EV Aristocrat cabinets whose baffles were large for 1/2" plywood construction. I wonder what would happen on a K with foam wings during loud play of say an Indian tabla? - I've seen unbraced 18mm Baltic birch wings deflect quite a bit and over a wide range of beat speed. Walter Zintz in the later Transylvania Power K-coupler used 3/8" steel allthread to minimize modualation effects. That same bracing (and K-coupler) was built by a number of companies - - it must have been like "The Producers" with many hundreds of shares of stock .....:eek:

Katey Sagal with K http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/590/mwkarlson.jpg

Last edited:
hey X - do you think 1/2" Baltic birch would be sufficient for your XKi Beta8cx at pedal to the metal transients? I might use APT50 if can locate a working pair in my mess. The depth below is 10 inches [?} - am trying to think what cleat size to have the front aperture plate remove for driver access.

as an alternative I'd like some XKi for my P-Audio SN10 (or Beta10cx)

461913d1422368595-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-order-bandpass-xki-beta-8cx-plans.png

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
0.5in BB should be fine. I am laying out the plan now that I have drivers in hand and there is one change: the height of the front chamber triangle point. I have it shown as 3 in and 11in, it should be 4in and 10in. Make the cleat out of small blocks of 3/4in ply rather than a continuous strip. This reduces how much volume they take up.

hi X - so just (?) those two figures are revised and it'll be good to go. That's a good idea to use small blocks - maybe 5/8" thick if just held by drywall screw threads. A strip brace of 1/2" BB between the back panel and 5.5" section of the vent should somewhat help brace the back. 5/8" Baltic birch would stiffen things. Does it matter on the Karlson aperture if there's a roundover and if so, should it be on the inside/outside/-or both?

Ow7Nnsx.jpg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
hi X - so just (?) those two figures are revised and it'll be good to go. That's a good idea to use small blocks - maybe 5/8" thick if just held by drywall screw threads. A strip brace of 1/2" BB between the back panel and 5.5" section of the vent should somewhat help brace the back. 5/8" Baltic birch would stiffen things. Does it matter on the Karlson aperture if there's a roundover and if so, should it be on the inside/outside/-or both?

Ow7Nnsx.jpg

Looks good. I would put round over on the inside. But can't say I have done it.

Does it matter on the Karlson aperture if there's a roundover and if so, should it be on the inside/outside/-or both?

FWIW I tried a small roundover both front and back facing with my mini-Karlsonators. Basically, it makes very little difference either way. Nothing shows up in the freq response. At most it makes a nearly imperceptible difference in listening tests. I think I preferred it with the roundover on the front, and left it that way. Almost everything else will have more of an effect...

I have 3 old Beta8cx laying around but would like to do 10cx - was there a plan for XKi in Beta10cx? - - ah! - I missed your post
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...karlson-6th-order-bandpass-2.html#post4198133

if the back panel were made removable, then vent could be tweaked -

XRK971's simulations:

Beta 10cx 60l XKi 18.5v
461370d1422138107-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-order-bandpass-xki-b10cx-freq-xmax.png

Beta 8cx, 14l XKi 17v
461415d1422159547-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-order-bandpass-xki-beta8cx-freq-max-spl.png

Beta 10cx Karlsonator 2.83v -- I believe this is for GregB's Karlsonator (12)
361761d1374586611-karlsonator-karlsinator-beta10cx-freq-1m.png

Beta 10cx 0.6 scale K15
432848d1407854401-speaker-kicks-butt-large-spaces-k15-060x-beta10cx-freq-1m.png

Last edited: