XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order Bandpass

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The PRV 5MR450NDY is a mid bass driver with fs that is too high for the XKi to benefit. However, the 8MR600NDY has a lower fs and should benefit - I have not been able to simulate it as my akabak computer is getting repaired. I can't try it experimentally because I don't actually have that driver. It's a pricey driver but for what it does, I don't think there is an equivalent made elsewhere. My experience and educated guess says it will be an absolute monster of a driver for 80Hz on up at high SPL.

If you don't have foam core, corrugated double wall cardboard works very nicely too. Glue multiple layers together for more strength and to have CLD.

Last edited:
for kick duties - any guesses towards 10" and 12" suitable for XKi work? what differences might one expect between the XKi with slanted baffle (and x-sectional area tapering towards zero as the slot widens) and the Karlflex with baffle parallel to aperture? (typically with cavity x-sectional area constant not considering the aperture) - - in 2-way duty, a K-tube can be added provided the woofer can reach ~1K2 or higher

Last edited:
think the peak is a teensy bit (?) higher than the Faital - cone looks similar

uf3Yvxv.jpg

tUi9V7f.jpg

Last edited:
Woven fibreglass cone. Very possible. Faital Pro 4FE35 response looks smoother and it is a paper cone. I have a cone treatment that minimizes ringing and increases detail retrieval. I haven't tried it on hard cones and I imagine it would be much less effective on them. Absorbent (paper-based) cones benefit greatly from it.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I just looked up the spec sheet for the PRV 8MD600-NDY. PRV recommend a 24dB/octave x-over at 275hZ for full power handling. May be better used as a midrange - perhaps in a Nautiloss?

HPF at 275Hz ifyou want to put the whole 300 watts RMS in it. One thing interesting about a 6th order series bandpass alignment is that with proper tuning, it has better cone control than a sealed box. Perhaps even being able to run at 100 watts will be plenty loud for most home use. Won't know for sure what the limits are until I get Akabak up and running again. Nautaloss would indeed work very well though as a FAST.

hi IG81 and XRK971 - - re:Celestion's TF1020, wonder roughly what kind of K it might like - ? (- got one perfect, one bent pretty bad which I straightened out to a degree) - I think for my purposes, it would do better in a K than a MLTL

(hey IG - tell XRK971 your impressions of a K-tube)

Thiele-Small Parameters Celestion TF1020

Resonant Frequency (Fs)60.9 Hz
DC Resistance (Re)5.79 ohms
Voice Coil Inductance (Le)0.59 mH
Mechanical Q (Qms)2.85
Electromagnetic Q (Qes)0.36
Total Q (Qts)0.32
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)1.32 ft.³
Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms)0.22 mm/N
BL Product (BL)13.79 Tm
Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms)30.92g
Moving Mass Of Diaphragm (Mmd)27.27
Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)2 mm

Can a K-tube be inserted into the chamber next to (above?) the driver to boost higher frequencies, or does it require its own driver?

It would do very little just hanging out onto nothing. Altec used to have a fullrange driver where a small horn was suspended quite close to the dustcap to amplify its output. I don't know how well that worked, but one might need to get very close, probably within 1/4-WL of the source to get any kind of usable coupling.

K-Tube on a good compression driver sounds very natural. It should not require much EQ, if any, assuming the driver's response is not too wild to start with. It's not as loud as a standard horn, but will be enough to play nicely above direct radiators and most any single-driver bass horn. It's quite uncoloured IMO and has a good sense of spaciouness, probably because as a diffraction device, it disperses sound quite broadly. It's a good match as a HF unit over a Karlson, but I have not tried with direct radiators much. If the driver is rated for it, the 1", 5.3" long tube can be used down to ~800Hz with a well-implemented 3rd order Xo. Distortion goes up fast under this and the effective tube length is too short to deal with the involved wavelengths anyway.

I've used Transylvania Power Company's 'The Tube' with a cheap Eminence compression driver and it kept up and blended well with my JBL 4638 which has two 2035H 15" in parallel. (I should pull the 2035H and use them in Karlson projects) In the case of a klam, a large diameter (1.875') k-tube held close to a fullrange's dustcap and whizzer did a good job of piping highs to the main aperture so there are cases where a passive tube could be useful. It would be easy enough to try with paper.

a slotted port tube might 'wheeze'.

is there an XKi alignment for Eminence's Beta10cx which is about the bulk of Karlson's K12 (around 2 cubic foot active airspace) which will outperform Beta10cx in a classic K12 with regards to low frequency extension and smoothness? Alternately, is there a Karlsonator smaller than GregB's Karlsonator 12 which will work well with Beta10cx? The Karlsonator12 has been a great sonic success imo but I'd like to see something a bit smaller for some 10" drivers.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I don't have my Akabak machine back yet - techs managed to restore all my data, but apps need to be re-installed and I have been on travel...

From page 2, I recall doing a sim for the Beta 10CX by putting it in a 60 liter (2.1 cu ft) box originally designed for the W8-1772 and that had an f3 of 44Hz. I think decreasing volume to 1.6 cu ft will get 55Hz easily. This is significantly better than a K12 for bass extension and more compact.

although significant and audible , here's the change when compared to notes on a keyboard, etc. A decent 50Hz would sound pretty solid I think and 2.1 cubic foot airspace is still pretty small compared to the Karlsonator 12.

K12 were all tuned in the low 60's plus the slit vent type must behave in a variable fashion with drive and time so there are times where it loses the lower impedance peak.

bass-drum-key.jpg

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
since I have both 1772 and Beta10cx, perhaps a good project would be to build the basic 60 liter box, then use an adapter ring for the 8 and have the vent adjustable to cover the differences in tuning. There may also be other drivers to work in 60 liters (or the proposed 45 liter enclosure)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...karlson-6th-order-bandpass-2.html#post4198133

Don't build that yet until I sort out the vent length to prevent the big potential cancellation dip due to resonance.