x-over for Kef iQ30

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Did someone audition already KEF LS50? Just impressions please if yes, while in the near future I might order this one.. If I have enough funds for it...
KEF LS50 - for David@FrankHarvey | whathifi.com

...Not a surprise for me, while I strive to get best of everything, but this might surprise some of you...

Cheers! :D
http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Speakers.html
http://www.whathifi.com/search/apac...rt=is_field_star_rating desc&retain-filters=1

from the service manual - KEF iQ3

It was going better and easier then I thought... :)

Here are extracted files from the iQ3 service manual (just relevant pages). ;)

Attachments

• iq3_ver1_003.pdf
    7.5 KB · Views: 186
  • iq3_ver1_004.pdf
    4.4 KB · Views: 118
  • iq3_ver1_005.pdf
    61.5 KB · Views: 117
  • iq3_ver1_008.pdf
    15.3 KB · Views: 98
  • iq3_ver1_009.pdf
    11.8 KB · Views: 106
from the service manual - KEF iQ30

Here are extracted pages from the service manual for iQ30... ;)

Please note that I have to put two files into zip archives due to forum upload restrictions... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• iQ30 Ver1_005.pdf
    120.5 KB · Views: 197
  • iQ30 Ver1_004.pdf
    6.5 KB · Views: 155
  • iQ30 Ver1_003.pdf
    7.2 KB · Views: 173
  • iQ30 Ver1_008.zip
    203.5 KB · Views: 260
  • iQ30 Ver1_009.zip
    211.2 KB · Views: 176
RAART, am I being particularly dim? I really have no idea what you are trying to achieve here. Upgrading components, or redesigning the crossover? Why should we read all those PDFs, what are we looking for?

I saw enough to suggest you could try some proper rolloff on the bass, say, 12uF, and a second order tweeter crossover of about 4.7uF and 0.3mH. It should sound completely different and phase might be very good.

Then you could add a Zobel of maybe 6 ohms and 1uF to the tweeter for the smoother top end, but exact values depend on the Re of the tweeter and its inductance.

The values on the capacitors will be changed. Good thing is I didn't order them while got cold/flu/fever... Right now to get rid of some sound impurities the values will be changed. Resistors will be changed too, just to match quality of other components too. Inductors, just the ferrite cored one.

X-over might have a slightly different design too. But that might happen later after this x-over is modified...

Hello Steve,

sorry that I might be slightly elusive to you but I thought that I was clear. Anyway after looking again at original iQ30 x-over I decided to leave it intact as it is and built new one and then compare the sound between those two just to see how big will be sound improvement.
While KEF confirmed that the mid-bass driver in iQ30 is the same like in the XQ20 but they do not say anything about the tweeter. While XQ20 has more developed "audiophile" x-over (as per KEF) I was looking to get the hands on the service manual for XQ20 and get the schematics of XO and then start from there to build a new one. Unconfirmed sources all over the net claims that they use in the iQ30, XQ20 x-overs and also they changed components to high quality ones, but everyone is keeping values/schematics for themselves and not willing to share. I assume that they paid for it and want to keep value of the speakers high. I understand this, however will not give up until I get those schematics.
For now I got XQ30 and XQ40 schematics and the XQ line should have similar networks, just customized for the specific model.
At the end I probably will have 3 different x-overs... Original one, same design as the original but modified and XQ line design and modified. While this will go heavy on my budget I will try to keep the cost minimized. Anyway I hope that now I am clear for everyone.
The reason I posted all those files above is that maybe someone will need them... and I like to help as long as I can be helpful... and I might get some suggestions too... ;)

All the best to everyone here...
:cheers:

Last edited:
iQ30 cross over mod

I bought a pair of these after they were discontinued, just replaced the two tweeter caps with poly ones, it is well worth it, made a big difference. The speaker sounds much cleaner, with longer decay (i like jazz & classical) It is a pain to get cross over off the stand offs, but is possible.

Attachments

• iQ30 before mod.jpg
    iQ30 before mod.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 282
  • iQ30 after mod.jpg
    iQ30 after mod.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 284
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.