Would a small folded midrange horn work?

I ran it unmasked regular but did not put that in the plot - What do you mean by "VENT? I'm going to have to sell/give/throw away most of my toy collection as my kid needs the house. FH1/Sentry IV, many horns , woofers -, Karlson stuff, Bruce Edgar System 100, 50Hz C horns, etc. - so another horn will not happen - maybe I'll sneak in a little Karlson toy ;^).
"

What do you mean by "VENT?

It means the opposite of sealed chamber, so it has an aperture to reinforce the low frequencies like Bass Reflex compared to Sealed box.

Check the attached picture to clarify.

Like Martin Audio WLX, Altec816/817

While with sealed chamber the Front Load Horn is a 4th order box, adding vent to the chamber it will became 6th order and so you reinforce the low end.

Attachments

• sealed-chamber.png
    sealed-chamber.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 80
  • vented-chamber.png
    vented-chamber.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 63
  • WLX.jpeg
    WLX.jpeg
    4.8 KB · Views: 73
  • wp4663a1f7.jpg
    wp4663a1f7.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 78
I ran it unmasked regular but did not put that in the plot - What do you mean by "VENT? I'm going to have to sell/give/throw away most of my toy collection as my kid needs the house. FH1/Sentry IV, many horns , woofers -, Karlson stuff, Bruce Edgar System 100, 50Hz C horns, etc. - so another horn will not happen - maybe I'll sneak in a little Karlson toy ;^).
"
Freddi, be curious on your take: FH1 vs EV Sentry Bin. I think it's the 5050? I recently acquired a pair and just started in on the refoaming. Nice collection! Got any University Classics?

Hi Zwiller - IIRC it is the 5050 (Ray Newman) and didn't try to re-foam the original Gefco woofers. Instead I
used Eminence built Pyle PYM1298 (same as Kappa 12A) Bill Woods said itt works best with the Gefco woofer. (I don't think it would matter all that much and that Kapp12 might be a bit more sesitive -

Look at E-V's graph (
IIRC - got this from Jim Hunter - ?)

FH1 is smooth - but I don't like it and prefer a Karlson.

Sentry IV's basshorn is very cool

- never got o hear a Classic -but had a 2/3 scale one built - love it.

Attachments

• Baby Classic 2-tone e not finihsed.jpg
    Baby Classic 2-tone e not finihsed.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 70
  • SENTRY IV PYM1298 VS K-HORN K33-CTS.png
    SENTRY IV PYM1298 VS K-HORN K33-CTS.png
    388.5 KB · Views: 73
  • E-V GRAPH OF SENTRY IV WITH VAROUS WOOFERS.jpg
    E-V GRAPH OF SENTRY IV WITH VAROUS WOOFERS.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 76
  • BABY CLASSIC DETAILS.jpeg
    BABY CLASSIC DETAILS.jpeg
    448.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks @freddi My love for the Sentry goes back to my old band days as drummer and interacting with a pair of the 5050's big brother 4050 (strangely named a lower number 40hz?). Eye opening experience for me. Sure they don't go that low BUT man the chest impact! The 5050 are replacing some Community VB790s. Refoaming the gefcos. Will add a sub under them at some point. Had an opportunity for a pair of classics but felt they were overpriced. Have not looked at the plans but I am pretty experienced with woodworking and the design does not scare me off. I am long overdue to ask a buddy of mine about converting some of these old plans into cad so we could run a set. Shooting ya DM.

@LORDSANSUI - IF I can get an adept long distance friend talked into it - I maybe have him make one horn - I'm old/ill - never did PA work -not driven for the last 30 years - it would be a home toy - would reduce the back chamber volume with rigid foam - maybe make it two way if a small horn would fit and not hit the 10 inch driver.

Regarding the first section (159.5cm2) that appears in hornresp to be a constant area section while on the plan looks to downward taper (?? could be my poor eyesight that doesn't converge ?) Could you display that picture perhaps in a easier to read form (with crtical dims) for my builder to consider?

I was going to go with another "Karlson" but don't have akabak, etc. skills to make some guesses. Also, I think your horn could play voice and snare drum sounds quite well.

BEST,
Freddy

SMALLHORN3 WITH DELTA 10A 40 VOLT SMALL BACK CHAMBER.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear LordSansui - my vision is poor - I need the internal width of the horn, and a few critical dims as indicated by the areas with "?"

Would a corner reflector at the bottom turn be of benefit? - If so, what size would you make it?

Attachments

• LORDSANSUI J-HORN - NEED A FEW DIMS.jpg
    LORDSANSUI J-HORN - NEED A FEW DIMS.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 25
my buddy is ready to layout the horn sides - he needs in the internal width and
dimensions indicated by the question marks below. Diabetes is killing my vision.

How thick are the walls? - Might I nestle a treble horn in its mouth for a 2-way? might have to be 3 if the next horn has to go down "low".

This build is kinda a birthday present. (*74")

1709863028422.jpeg

Last edited:
This build is kinda a birthday present. (*74")

Dear Freddi,

Happy birthday in advance and congratulation for such amazing present from your buddy. I wish I had a friend like him.

You still have more year to live so, control your diabetes.

few critical dims as indicated by the areas with "?"

See attachment #1

Would a corner reflector at the bottom turn be of benefit?

I didn't went too deep in the design but considering the max bandwidth extension i would put a reflector there in order to minimize the risk for reflection. See attachment #2 as suggestions.

How thick are the walls?

15mm

Might I nestle a treble horn in its mouth for a 2-way?

I think so, it's a big mouth so installing a horn there will avoid you need to build another box just for the horn. The driver I use in the simulation present good performance up to 1200Hz, so a titanium driver + Horn can be used. See attachment #3

FreeCAD model = Attachment #4

The box has 94L.

Attachments

• SmallHorn3-586x500-94L.zip
    120.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20240308_152712.png
    Screenshot_20240308_152712.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Flat Panel.png
    Flat Panel.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Dimensions.png
    Dimensions.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 18
Thank you so very much ! I will look at all of the attachments and get the reader.

Your Sketch-Up picture helped me visualize how it should go together. I don't think my friend can find Baltic birch plywood in his area but there is a decent regular plywood in 3/4" "cheap".

I've a lot of issues from 25 years of obstructive sleep apnea from reflux - then 4 years ago was put on a ventilator for 9 days due to tongue swelling from a lisinopril "reaction" - maybe I can squeeze one more year - ha.

Thanks again,

Freddy

SMALL HORN GOOD VIIEW.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
10 inch "Karlson" ?
Here's what I have so far for "K10" - maybe one with patent 3540544 "Fig.6." upper reflector and internal slotted pipe tweeter - ? I don't know now to implement one with 1/4 wave rear not whether that approach makes sense.

Back to the horn - do you think a DE250 wold survive a 1200Hz xover with "electronic musics"? IF I can find a little cheap 1.4 horn then I've brand new Beyma Neo 1.4" CDs bought really cheap (prototypes with graph.

A "stub" connected to the top of the front chamber would do some smoothing, could in some instances give a bit more end, better impulse response, and soak up some reflections.

1710191830394.jpeg

1710192441303.png

1710192928221.jpeg

Last edited: