Woden Design 3" Box Designs, BabyLabs & more

Any thoughts yet?

Yes. They sound great! Unfortunately, I have removed the drivers so I can finish the varnish on the cabinets.

This is my first set of DIY speakers. The other set I have in the house is an old Epicure 14 pair from my father-in-law. The Epicures obviously have more bass "oomph." The Lances sound noticable better everywhere else (significantly more clarity in the high-mids and highs).

They also go loud enough for computer/bedroom speakers. They would certainly struggle in a large room.

All told, fantastic sound and surprisingly good bass from a wee little driver.

Currently I am using Fostex's little 5 watt amp to drive them. I also have the Fostex grills on them. I have five children ages 0-8 and do not want them poking on the cones and dust caps.

I can post a finished picture once the finish is finished.

Wayne

Scott,

They sound great! Thanks so much for the plans. These are my first diy speaker so I cheaped out bt buying 11mm poplar plywood because I wanted to practice my woodworking skills. I had to make the sides slightly smaller. I dont know how different would it be from the 12.7mm but it sounds great to me. All in all turned out not bad.

I am surprised by the bass quantity from a small driver. Really tight bass too. I will get much enjoyment out of these. Next I think I will build another set and then after the practice build the Valiants.

Thanks again to you and Dave. Highly recommended speaker and easy build for starters! :)

I finally finished with the varnish and thought I would post a "finished" picture. So far, they sound fantastic!

Wayne

Attachments

• P3281791.jpg
    P3281791.jpg
    624.8 KB · Views: 1,318
I really like the looks of this cabinet. Does a similar but larger version exist for the FF105WK?

Indeed, with appropriate dimensions the labyrinth topology avails itself to a wide range of drivers, the 105 among them. I just have trouble remembering the names of each, or whether the drawings for the expanding range of drivers have been collected and posted in common library.

Thinking of building a set of Lance speakers, though £80 for the drivers is a nudge steep for a student budget.

The Visaton FRS8M is a quarter that price, and still sound pretty nice. Would they go okay?

Sd = 29cm^2
Cms = 9.17e-4 m/N
Mmd = 1.68g
Re= 7.2ohm
BL = 4.0
Rms = 0.43
Le = 0.3mH

Hornresp's sim shows a slope down from 120Hz, peak at 65Hz.
However, there aren't enough sections available. I used an offset driver transmission line, tapering from the driver to the terminus. Not ideal, but should give some idea, right?

Chris

PS - these are also a possibility, looking much more even in the LF, according to Hornresp.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monacor-S...Elec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item258e9a06de

Last edited:
Woden designs actually by Scott - drawings by Dave; unless you have specifications for revisions to any of his given designs, I think Scott would tend to be concerned about dropping in an unintended driver and calling by the same name - particularly if/when the results are less than you'd hoped.

That has happened more than once.

But to your specific question - I built at least one pair of all of the 3" labyrinth and double reflex designs, and the primary damping was 1/2" Ultratouch denim felt to all internal walls on the DBR - but I honestly can't remember how much if any fiber fill. Dave might still have the enclosures to check that out.

I think they both got snapped up. IIRC, Lance is in California, not sure about Harpoon. As far as the design drivers are concerned, just the lining specified. I can't pass much comment if something else is stuffed into them though, other than say 'don't blame me if you don't like the results.' ;) If somebody builds something I designed as designed and they don't like it, fair enough, I'll take it like a man. :p