With planars, how low can you go?

The thing is that dipole bass radiators are oriented to work in closed rooms and excitation of the main resonance of the room and its harmonics, it is from this we need to proceed when we are going to apply a dipole.
And this in turn means that acoustic treatment and special tuning of the room is very important, I would say that it is fundamental in this case.
After all, a dipole in an open space, roughly speaking in a wheat field, will not produce low-frequency sounds at all because of acoustic short-circuiting.

a dipole in an open space, roughly speaking in a wheat field, will not produce low-frequency sounds at all because of acoustic short-circuiting.
It is totally misinterpretation of acoustic short circuit. The "short circuit" is only partial cancellation. The 6 dB/oct gentle roll-off is well treatable (for example, by electronic compensation). My revelation-like, palpable bass reproduction experience was by huge orthodynamic bass panels, in free space (without significant compensation by high-Q resonance, because the resonance frequency was around 10 Hz), and the hearing was quasi nearfield. If I've went further, the bass still remain articulated and very deep, but a little bit drier. So, that's the effect of the acoustic short circuit, not the " in a wheat field, will not produce low-frequency sounds". Smaller panels and baffles rolled off at higher frequency, but not "will not produce low-frequency sounds".

Hmmmm they claim zero distortion. Is that even possible using magnetic drive force? I wonder about the accuracy of their distortion measurement (significant numbers)
What they MIGHT claim, is that the distortion is below the noise floor and hence not directly audible. It still influences sound characteristic.
Like this plot of a Quad ESL-63. All distortion below the noise floor, but never zero distortion. Top line noise floor, bottom line distortion THD 2nd to 9th order.
But still, is there any planar that reaches these numbers? Maybe.

noise.jpg

It is totally misinterpretation of acoustic short circuit. The "short circuit" is only partial cancellation. The 6 dB/oct gentle roll-off is well treatable (for example, by electronic compensation). My revelation-like, palpable bass reproduction experience was by huge orthodynamic bass panels, in free space (without significant compensation by high-Q resonance, because the resonance frequency was around 10 Hz), and the hearing was quasi nearfield. If I've went further, the bass still remain articulated and very deep, but a little bit drier. So, that's the effect of the acoustic short circuit, not the " in a wheat field, will not produce low-frequency sounds". Smaller panels and baffles rolled off at higher frequency, but not "will not produce low-frequency sounds".
Still, a dipol is a very inefficient way of producing low bass. I have dipol planars that go down to about 30 Hz but the SPL is limited compared to convential box speakers.

This will depend on the physical size of the emitter, for example, in a wheat field, a 1/1 meter dipole will produce a confident sound of no lower than 343 Hz, because this is the length of the sound wave at this frequency.
All frequencies that are lower will fade.

By the way, this is precisely the reason why low-frequency musical instruments are not capable of playing lower notes, such as those produced by, for example, double bass strings, but only their harmonics. Only one acoustic instrument produces “correct” notes, this is an organ, because the length of its pipes corresponds to the length sound wave of emitted frequency.

Therefore, a dipole emitter in a room resembles a broom dispersing dust, this emitter accelerates the main resonance of the room and its harmonics, but we take this for granted.
Well, in a wheat field the dipole is absolutely useless.

flat=planar?

I was thinking about MAGNEPAN products also - surprisingly, nobody already mention them...

1705592192295.png

My pair of little SMGb can reach 50-60Hz - they are spec'ed at 50Hz-22kHz / 87dB/w/m. I have rebuilt the crossover that was quite poor to my ears, reglued the bass wires ends, cleaned them toroughly...

The original crossovers :

IFmtQb-P1100362.jpg

1705592642264.png

The new ones :

BuJdNb-SMGb-Custom-Xover-01-01-2022.jpg

This restoration revealed the qualities of those little SMGb's, increasing efficiency and bandwitdh - the setup was A/B compared : no picture... I use them with a Ripole active subwoofer cut at 40Hz, in a little auditorium, in near-field listening.

T

T

If you make a large box to this Magnepan, similar to the box of a large drum, in order to acoustically tie a large mass of air of this volume to the membrane and... hit it with a mallet as we do on a drum, then this main resonance of the membrane will be heard at a great distance, but if not to do all this, then the resonance of the membrane in the dipole does not have any significance in relation to the topic under discussion.

Quite different from this measurement.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/magnepan-magneplanar-mg16qr-loudspeaker-measurements

My 3.6 is about 42 Hz and the Tympani is 34 Hz.

In this article, the author specifically writes that the low-frequency region will depend in its measurements on the “proximity of the microphone”, in other words, the further away from the microphone, the steeper the low-frequency decline.

Do this experiment - stretch your fabric T-shirt over a wooden frame, place the microphone at a distance of ... 10 cm, lightly hit the “membrane” with your finger, you will see that the microphone will show 20 Hz, but this does not mean that you will hear these 20 Hz in the open space from a distance of 5 meters.

All for the same reason - there is no sound wave at this frequency. It has not been created.

Reactions: 1 user
To speak to the original thread topic, The Alsyvox planar magnetic speakers offer a prodigious amount of bass. Bass can easily overload a small room - so don't begin to try and use them in one. Spec'd down to 20-25hz. An can be driven fine with 25-50watts.

Don't know how Danielle does it. They also offer the most delicate sound when appropriate. Have heard both his earlier and current models.

And this is from an ESL-63 LOVER. Owned them for 15 years. Would LOVE but could never begin to afford an Alsyvox. But can sure appreciate the achievement.