Wide bandwidth class AB with 10mA quiescent?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Using a circlomos topology, it's just possible.
The quiescent current is greater than 10mA, about 15mA, but speed and low power are somewhat antinomic.
With some tweaks and more suitable transistors, the target could be reached.
Increasing the complexity is another option.

Attachments

• HVHF.gif
    HVHF.gif
    30 KB · Views: 205
Hi friends,
I spiced a complementary symmetry amp with quiescent very much less than 10mA for a almost 380Vpp output. Gain = 34, test = 500kHz, output 200mA rms.

Does it seem like working technique? I am not using power transistor model. (I dont have any)

Can I get better performance if I modify this circuit?

Attachments

• CSamp.jpg
    CSamp.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 197
  • output.jpg
    output.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
I'm trying to help, but I'm afraid it is nearly impossible if you don't provide any further infos. Why is the 10 mA quiescent current so important? And is this the quiescent current for the whole amplifier, or just the output stage? Does the output need to be short-circuit proof? What's the exact impedance of the load (it is not just a pure resistance, I presume)?

Samuel

A tease? Me? The circuits are fine, it's the load I'm concerned about. If this is a piezoelectric device, expect the load to be mostly a capacitor, with an unusually high loss factor. A halfway decent simulation load will look a lot like the model for a quartz crystal, but with wildly different values. Without more knowledge of what the device is, and whether it operates at or near mechanical resonance, there's no way to guess at how well a drive circuit will function.

Yes, what is the highest frequency you will pass.
It would give more accurate test in sim.
CFA, I think in this case, will give the hig frequncy operation you want.
I think both VAS and Output could be IRF610/9610.

It is possble to put several 5W resistors in series.
And to increase the value of this resistor a bit.
Say 1k08 total feedback divided by 22 Ohm.
3x5W: 360-360-360/22 (gain 1080/22 +1=50)
4x5W: 270-270-270-270/22

If the transducer is a piezoelectric element, expect it to be a pure capacitor (low impedance current sucker) except near resonance, where it will display the usual resonant circuit peak/dip impedance curve. Potentially a tough load for conventional amplifier designs. Most people use an inductor and operate them as resonant tanks, or some variation thereof.
Very interesting. Once was looking at something like that (a piezo positioning device). Could you please elaborate more or provide some Bibliography/link/documentation on the topic? Especially the part regarding the inductor use.
Thanks in advance
@Audio

I have a new attempt with CFA. With IRF610/9610 output.
With feedback 1080/22 Ohm.
The thing with feedback resistors in CFA is they determine how fast it is.
Lower resistors = faster.
Well, with 1080/22 I get -3db at ~4 MHz
The squarewave in 100kHz looks just fine.
The squarewave in 1 MHz looks bit rounded.

With IRF610/9610 we can only get like 90 Vpeak out.

I attach 1MHz squarewave with 50 Vpeak out. (100 Vp-p, +/-50V)

Attachments

• curr-fb_1b.png
    curr-fb_1b.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 204
I've sketched an amplifier which should be a good starting point: 1MHz_200Vpp_amplifier.pdf

As the available specifications are sparse, this reflects just my personal interpretation of the task. Output stage bias details and decoupling are omitted, and in no case should this schematic be taken as fully tested design. The involved supply voltages are not to be applied without greatest care.

The transistors which see large collector voltage (Q3, Q6, Q7, Q8, Q11, Q14, Q17 and Q18) should be something like 2SC3503/2SA1381. The remaining bipolars can be ordinary small-signal parts such as 2N4401/2N4403. I didn't look up a specific MOSFET pair; choose the one with lowest capacitances at sufficient power. Something like 1 A/10 W parts.

For a perfectly clean ±100 V output I'd suggest ±120 V rails, although somewhat lower should work as well. Simulation indicates that the amplifier easily reaches the required full power bandwidth. Distortion is below the specifications, although layout effects (in particular inductive crosstalk from the power supplies) will be though to control at these frequencies.

Samuel

Spice models for 2SA1773/2SC4616 or 2SA1830/2SC4734.........?

1MHz, but dont mind a wider response...:)

Lineup, I would like to build three amplifiers VFB, CFB and the circlomos thing.
newvirus
You are crazy. 3 amplifiers!
Begin with one. Pick one to build.

I have only 2SA1837/2SC4793 spice models. TO-220.
And KSA1381/KSC3503. TO-126
Have you searched with google?

MJE340/350 are 300 Volt video transistors. Maybe for VAS.

Here is a guy with all Orcad library online :)
power.teipat.gr - /download/OrCad/OrCad Libraries/Library for Capture/PSPICE/

Last edited:
Now the big question is: What transistors do we use?

As noted:

The transistors which see large collector voltage (Q3, Q6, Q7, Q8, Q11, Q14, Q17 and Q18) should be something like 2SC3503/2SA1381. The remaining bipolars can be ordinary small-signal parts such as 2N4401/2N4403. I didn't look up a specific MOSFET pair; choose the one with lowest capacitances at sufficient power. Something like 1 A/10 W parts.

There are countless suitable MOSFETs, and the choice will be influence by what's available in India, which I don't know.

Samuel

Hi friends,

My requirements have been relaxed. Now its 500kHz / 400Vpp / gain of 30 only.

I spiced a CFA with complementary output, 500kHz attached, 1MHz is fine. Idle current <7mA. Please read 2SC3601 / 2SA1407 in place of 2n3904 / 2n3906.

Attachments

• CFA.JPG
    CFA.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 180
  • output.JPG
    output.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 173
OK got it. but I dont want to use a ground inside the amplifier. Good PCB can be made if there is only one ground (i.e. near input & f/b network)

Also want amp to work at lower rails. so current source in the beginning. It will set all quiscent voltages right.

Pls see Iq versus temp graph.

compensation caps were 50pF (1/10th) for sq wave of 1MHz.

N-Channel IRF710, IRF7xx are 400V devices.

But there is no IRF9710 :(

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 161
  • sq.jpg
    sq.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.