Why are OMNI speakers not more popular?

Marco, ancient 'web chat' shorthand for Grin, Laugh, & Smile....so y'all might have half a clue as to my state of mind at any particular moment at the keys...

I think it's only fair and proper that you might have additional clues....it may help to know if or when I'm pulling your leg or attempting to be serious in the midst of all this verbiage.

*S*mile....;)

Planet10, yeah, I've heard of that too...which is why I responded that way. I'd wager it's real dependent on what the symptoms are as to what transpires as to how the MD responds. 'Telepresence' online is big in areas where doctors are scarce, as in the 'outback' in Australia.

As for audio issues, well...sounds like (there's a pun in there) it could be a whole new type of 'income stream' for someone who can BS others better than me...

"I can diagnose what's wrong with your audio over the phone..."

Well, way cool...I can walk through walls online, but all my clothes stay where I just left. Doesn't bother me, but those on the opposite side react rather negatively towards me...;)

Just kidding....

Sumo, so a very 'live' space is what you inhabit. That could be an issue with an omni if it's close to the back wall with the radiation pattern that I suspect that your Planets have. You might try moving them further into the room as Unix suggests.

I've noticed that Linkwitz (Linkwitz Lab - Loudspeaker Design) parks his Plutos quite far from any wall. You might give that a go...let 'us online audio MD's' know what you experience.

If it works, we'll bill you later...;) Just joking....*S*
The old 'doctor joke' here in the US is "Take 2 aspirin, rest in bed, and call me in the morning...if you wake up..."

OK....out on a limb, since I'm There already....

My Walsh omnis image nicely, thank you. I suspect that's such because they're akin to a DR in that your're hearing the 'initial wavefront' from the cones First, followed by the reflected waves from the surrounding room. They exhibit better coherence than an omni that reflects an initial wave off of a reflection element above a driver, such as the Duvells.

That's MHO, but also my experience with them in general. That was what 'caught me ear' when long ago I heard the F's and A's. I'd listened to other omnis since....just none of the more recent varieties... Of course, we can chalk that up to 'taste' and 'preference' in How we listen and Where we do so...and what one likes when listening to music.

"Your experience may, no, Nay, will vary..."

And the debate will rage on.

Unix and I (Hi, guy....5's *G*) will agree that omnis provide a valid 'listening experience', while the DR contingent will think we need some degree of corrective therapy. So to each his own, and thanks to the Great Tone Poem Behind The Universe for making it so. ;)

BTW, running 4 Walsh in a 'surround' array does interesting things to imaging. A guitar may be 'behind me and to the left' and the piano on the right rear. I suspect this might be an artifact of the 'mix down', but it's rather novel from a 'stereo' signal. I'm not running any 'surround modes' on the equipment driving them. And, no, the phase of the 'back' drivers isn't reversed....no 'cheap tricks'...

Open to an opinion of what's up with that....*G*

Well its alright if my DP doesn't do well in my audio room.
It was meant as a second system for casual listening.
As long as my ML sounds good Im happy. This means
that I can't buy an Omni. Lol.
I read an article which spoke about life end dead end for
bipolars & omni speakers. Wonder how it would actually
sound like with full absorption of the wall behind listening
seat

Cheers & thks

To get convinced of what incredible amount of "spatial" information can be conveyed by using only two mics, two channels and two speakers, put on some good headphones and listen e.g. to this:

Flos Florum Ensemble Vocale: Live Binaurale @ Tolfa (extract) [3D Binaural Audio] - YouTube

...then try it also with your loudspeakers: if your system (which includes the room) is suitable and properly setup, in spite of what someone think (and say, loudly) it will work quite well with them, too (and it would work even better with a pair of good omnis). ;)

Forget about the conventional 60° stereo triangle idea: with OMNIs you are listening mainly to "the room" (reflections from walls and ceiling) rather than from the sound directly emitted by the speakers.

For the best results with omnis you may easily end up with the speakers sitting almost at the sides of the listening position (120° or more being not uncommon) and with much more space between speakers than with normal DR types.

Also play with the distance from the side walls: in your case that may be too much. Usually you need to have the distance from the back wall >= than the distance from the side walls, and the distance from listening position to the speakers less than that from sp to back wall.

Depending on the speaker design, also the ceiling may be playing a major role... (unfortunately that's harder to deal with).

Anyway, the bottom line is: instead of searching the "sweet spot" for the listening position, you'll have to search the "sweet spot" for the speakers.

If your room does allow at least one such spot and you will be able to find it, you'll discover that basically there will be no more a "sweet spot" for the listening position! You should become able to hear almost identically well (with good imaging, too) from (almost) any position in the room! :cool: That's one of the many great features of OMNIs which rarely (if ever) can be matched with more conventional speakers...

side-wall positioning - "Beveridge placement" looks most promising in any given rectangular room

US3980829-2.png

check Yourself using this handy tool: http://www.linkwitzlab.com/LX521/Dipole%20First%20Room%20Reflections%20SL%20rev4-b.xls

from Listening_room

In case of side-wall "Beveridge placement" one has just to treat the wall near the speakers, then this method of speaker placement seems to be the winner.

Depending on the speaker design, also the ceiling may be playing a major role... (unfortunately that's harder to deal with).

the floor is worst, and the best way to manage both the floor reflection and the ceiling reflection is to use short up-firing speakers

side-wall positioning - "Beveridge placement" looks most promising in any given rectangular room

check Yourself using this handy tool: http://www.linkwitzlab.com/LX521/Dipole First Room Reflections SL rev4-b.xls

from Listening_room
Interesting, thanks.

the floor is worst, and the best way to manage both the floor reflection and the ceiling reflection is to use short up-firing speakers
tried something (more or less) like that... with great results, indeed:

www.audiofaidate.org • Leggi argomento - PERIAKUSMA: la costruzione

www.audiofaidate.org • Leggi argomento - Diffusori omnidirezionali "Periakusma" (AKA Walkaround)

Hi, been preoccupied with heart surgery (new TAVR valve, feeling great, thanks)....

graaf, re Beveridge, a cabinet with a pair of drivers on opposed angled sides, one facing 'forward' other 'rear' would seem to best suit that layout. I remember seeing a couple of 'side/fill' speakers of that type for a 7.1 surround system. Fortunately I've not been saddled with a room of that shape for awhile now...;)

Unix, that's a cute variant... *G* I've got a 'orphan driver' hanging around, and some 2 mil alum to make a 'tube'. Should be able to proportion sizing, or at least get close enough....

Let y'all know what I hear from it.... ;)

Hi, been preoccupied with heart surgery (new TAVR valve, feeling great, thanks)....
wow, that's tough... happy to hear that all went well. Best wishes!

Unix, that's a cute variant... *G* I've got a 'orphan driver' hanging around, and some 2 mil alum to make a 'tube'. Should be able to proportion sizing, or at least get close enough....

Let y'all know what I hear from it.... ;)
Great! Though I don't know if alum would be the best choice for that.

BTW: here there are detailed build instructions from the author (but it's in Italian only):

ilmiolibro.it

may be you can try to get some help from Google or some other automatic translation system. :cannotbe:

This weekend the XFi high end show was organized near Eindhoven, where I heard an amazing omni speaker designed by John Watkinson. John Watkinson - XFI

In line with my earlier experiences with omni speakers, stereo imaging was very precise and deep. No obvious room related issues were present, in spite of the smallish room and the compromised placement close to two walls. Great product which I hope will be hugely successful.

This weekend the XFi high end show was organized near Eindhoven, where I heard an amazing omni speaker designed by John Watkinson. John Watkinson - XFI

In line with my earlier experiences with omni speakers, stereo imaging was very precise and deep. No obvious room related issues were present, in spite of the smallish room and the compromised placement close to two walls. Great product which I hope will be hugely successful.

The Legend looks interesting Legend Precision Sound Reproducers and appears to be an active 3 way design.

Did they present any construction details or show it with the "skin" off.?

What genre of music did they demo it with?