Why are OMNI speakers not more popular?

Kjeldsen, hi. *S* The only thing I've noticed about omnis' is 'staging' with a live recording while running a pair (L+R with a sub between) in my rather miserable space is somewhat 'vague', lacking some of the 'detail' one can achieve. Dipoles in the same space are subject to the same perceived effect..or defect, if one needs to be more precise...
A 'surround' set of omnis' seems to improve on 'imagining', but has to have ones' levels set up to achieve a more convincing effect; but 'carefully' adding some direct radiators seems to 'anchor' the performers. *S* It's quite a mash-up, but it relates to the racks of drivers one experiences at a live venue....especially if one's lucky and well-heeled enough for orchestra seats....;)
What experiments are you pursuing, if I might ask? Always happy to 'lend an ear', so to speak...or type....*g*

Last edited:
I aim at having the same sound in my room when walking around. I almost never sit down and listen. But when I do I have no trouble identifying where the musicians are. With front firing you can get a wide listening area, but it's not enough to me. I also aim to have same sound all the way around the speakers and in the room. This is what I think creates the most lifelike sound, that don't change when you move around and still have good stereo image

I just tried to build a normal front firing open baffle. It didn't last long, and I'm rebuilding it to omni. I have had omni for some years, and thought I was missing something not having direct front firing sound. But I was wrong, so back to omni experiments again
Tell me more :) I have OB and get a relatively "omni" sound from them, have thought about experimenting making them more omni-directional, how are you rebuilding yours?

Can't see the pictures.
Oh... right, you need to register & login to see images and other attachments. Here is one of the pictures during the first tests of the prototype:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A finished build:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have tried to listen to the back side but don't experience that this should have any upsides
in principle operating the mid-woofer "backward" (upside-down) should give "better" dispersion (more "focused" on the horizontal plane), particularly in the upper part of the range covered by that driver. Whether / how much this is relevant in practice I don't know. :cannotbe:

Last edited:
Your picture links are broken. I get "You are not authorized to download this attachment” (in Italian?).
Ops... sorry. I've tried to cut&paste the image itself, but I guess I've got to link its URL instead. :(

I can't modify the previous post anymore, so I'll try again here.

Attachments

• 100_0843.JPG
    100_0843.JPG
    759.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 100_1148.jpg
    100_1148.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Hi, Unix 'n all y'all....*S* And, yes, 'backside' with the magnet structure on top does give improved horizontal/radial dispersion. With the Walsh arrangement, the cone is 'stretched' on it's Y axis, allowing for an improved 'range' of X plane angles. The pics you posted 12/3/18 mirror what one finds under the hood of your typical 'modern' Ohm speaker, with the 'normal' cone face firing into (I assume) a transmission line box....ported at the base....

They work quite well...Ohm & Co. have 'tweaked' the woofer, xover, etc. to do so. IMHO, the use of a dome or cone tweeter of a more standard design is a 'bottom line $' choice to keep the price acceptable.

Personal opin is that arrangement does create a hybrid omni, since it's my understanding that Ohm does have the units sold in pairs, marked as to L & R with a marker as to toe-in or toe-out.....

...which suggests a return to the 'sweet spot scenario'...albeit a broader one, But....*shrug*

*L* I'm just being a purist....a 'cheap one', to be sure, true... ;)

Commenting on the ANIO build....ultimately, a really nice dipole (like them planars, Yes, but the woofer 'free-aired' like that would have a lot of cancellation....unless you drive it like a 50$ car....aaand it looks a tad pricey to abuse it like that....

(...to be honest, I've suggested Ohms to friends in the past....one pair is still in play, last I heard....*S*)

Omnis' are picky beasts.....seem to be happier in somewhat uncluttered, moderately 'live' rooms....a front pair, by themselves, 3~4' from the back wall, spacing between will vary with width/depth of room and the amount of volume applied to make them shine.

If you go for a F & R set of pairs, I've noticed careful balancing F2R as well as L/R+F&R makes for a novel soundspace....as well as a subjectively 'louder' response.

Can't beat that with a bat....*G* ;)

sumo, I remember when those Duevel's hit the market long ago....and, yeah, I'm showing my age....;) *L* First impression was that the mid and lower bass ought to be fine, but the spheres' wouldn't diffract the upper mids and highs at a normal listening level as much as having just the impression you're stating..
Ultimately, simple geometry; most of the waveforms are heading for the ceiling....or 'the balcony'. Front row, perhaps, but still...:p
"Not the seats you'd paid for..." ;)
Have you tried rotating them? I noticed that the spheres don't seem to be perfectly centered over their respective drivers, at least in the pics I looked at before posting.
If they truly aren't, that may make some improvement....*crossed digits*