Which horn from 450 to 2000Hz? K-510?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
there is always the community m200 - low distortion - real midrange reproduction :) itmight be too much for the beyma amt though :eek:

community m200.jpg

there is always the community m200 - low distortion - real midrange reproduction :) itmight be too much for the beyma amt though :eek:

View attachment 602586

Haha. Talking about full circle?

So I started with cone-driven DIY horn, wondered about compression drivers and asked here, concluded on cone driven, and now back to CD? :)

M200 is an option, but in which horn? Seos 24? Face likes Seos 24 for this range. Seos are a challenge to source here, but doable if patient.

Seos 24-4 with a cone (existing Faital for starters, maybe moving to CMCD like Jorg suggested). DIY Sound Group confirmed they don't have Seos 24-4, but could order in next shipment (no date, though). Same sourcing situation as above. 24-4 are u$250 in Poland, plus shipping.

JBL horn #445024-001 (their Screen Array 3-way 3730 midrange horn, cone driven by 6.5" 195H) with my Faital 5" for starters, is another option. Local supplier gets them for u$330 each...
I like their directivity plots, but dislike their big size :eek:
https://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/3730_SS_Approved_091412_web.pdf
Too bad no references as to how these sound.

Interestingly JBL chooses a cone-driven midrange horn in their ScreenArray applications, and a compression driver midrange horn in their DD67000 application.

Haha. Talking about full circle?

So I started with cone-driven DIY horn, wondered about compression drivers and asked here, concluded on cone driven, and now back to CD? :)

M200 is an option, but in which horn? Seos 24? Face likes Seos 24 for this range. Seos are a challenge to source here, but doable if patient.

As I have said before the Community driver beats up the CMCD pretty badly.

The experience I have with SEOS is the 12 and it isn't as good as other 1" horns I have and don't see the why there is all the hype.

This was M200 measured last night in the JBL 2386 - it goes to 300 flat in my 180 flare round tractrix -

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Here's where the link was SUPPOSED to be

Here's some reading reference for you ( re; JBL mid-horns ).

Click the Pic ( to read the thread );

:)

I knew what Earl.K. was talking about, but there is NO WAY I can remember which thread I first learned about the JBL mid range horns. But I did purchase a pair from Jack's Music Factory. They are now sold out.

I always use a familiar object for a size comparison.

Attachments

• 20170303_154307_resized.jpg
    20170303_154307_resized.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 416
Non-Working Link

LewinskiH01 said:
Apparently a picture or link didn't make it through?

Yes, ( sorry, my bad ), my intended link didn't work ( I forgot that one can't embed a link along with a pic > here at diyAudio ) .

Here's the thread, over at AVS.

I found the topic here interesting ( in that the 2169H & JBL midhorn are mentioned ).

The linked thread has some user measurements which I found intriguing ( hence the link ).

attachment.php

attachment.php

:)

That appears to be the smaller CMCD driver - not the one with the 2169

This shows the bandwith is quite limited with the CMCD, the 8" version is just as bad

I'd like to see the distortion along with the SPL - too bad I no longer have the drivers or I'd run that. My old measurements are gone with my old laptop

EDIT - I see it is the CMCD-82, not the CMCD-81 I had. I wonder what the difference is?

In that thread the CMCD in the graph was only used in the JBL speaker up to 800 cycles. 400 to 800? Why when you can use a horn to cover 100 to 800?

Last edited:
OK, I'm shifting back to the M200. With which horn?

Seos 24 or 30" might be an option. Face uses the 24 above 450Hz. The 30" would go lower. But either one will be subject to figuring out how to bring them.

Discontinued horns, such as the Community BR60 are out of the question for me. A real pain to source.

Current JBL horns are an option since there is a local dealer. Expensive, but available.
  • 2360 is a non starter given size and especially vertical dimension becoming an issue with a tweeter, as Pooh noted elsewhere.
  • 2386 could be. I like them being bi-radial. FWIW, bi-radial is what JBL is using in their DD67000 midrange. Small enough for WAF (@17.5"), but likely having a harder time than Seos 24 below 500Hz. I wish their directivity index was flatter from 500 to 2000Hz. And I also wish they were not flat-front...seems to force an abrupt transition to end.
Anybody knows of candidates that might fit my needs better than Seos and 2386?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.