What’s On the Bench Tonight (OBT)

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Some remarks after two days of intense listening.
This is a great amp. Okay, I wrote it earlier :) The main point is: altough it seems like he's holding back, playing with distinction, not that involved - that's just the neutral playing style that characterizes this amp. It's unbelievable detailed and never gets tiring. He plays complex music with incredible ease. In contrast, my other preamplifier acts as if a loudness control was turned up, is a bit forward and very present. It's just a matter of taste which one you like more. I haven't been able to try solid state yet because - as I wrote - the switch broke after 5 switching operations during the technical testing. The new switch is coming tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 users

Ah, OK... I see ! Thank you so much @xrk971 ! :);)

Well, I also downloaded REW some times ago, but... I never took the time to test it, nor tried to open it ! I even have an ARTA complete license, but... Same lazyness ! That's a shame... :rolleyes:

Actually, I have to calibrate and configurate those softwares accordingly. I already have a good external souncard (ESI Maya 22 USB) and a polyvalent DIY interface box, that eased automated measurement setup with my previous softwares :

1709480794916.png
1709480874948.png

But I think that I probably need to rebuilt it, and... It takes time and yes, I admit it : I am lazy ! :confused:

T

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Some remarks after two days of intense listening.
This is a great amp. Okay, I wrote it earlier :) The main point is: altough it seems like he's holding back, playing with distinction, not that involved - that's just the neutral playing style that characterizes this amp. It's unbelievable detailed and never gets tiring. He plays complex music with incredible ease. In contrast, my other preamplifier acts as if a loudness control was turned up, is a bit forward and very present. It's just a matter of taste which one you like more. I haven't been able to try solid state yet because - as I wrote - the switch broke after 5 switching operations during the technical testing. The new switch is coming tomorrow.
I’m so happy you found the HyperSET sounds incredible. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Few words on the s.s. only output.
Contrary to my expectations, when using s.s. only, I miss something.
It's a subtle but for me audible difference. No tube in the signal path causes - for me - somewhat less openness, less liveliness, less room; with tube the sound is - tubelike - warmer, fuller. As I wrote, the effect is subtle but is there.
And of course, it's again a matter of taste, and I think it depends on your power amp. I use a class D one and I think the combination of class D and tube results in a gorgeous sound. With class A however, I think the s.s. only mode can be the "better" one. It's great to have the possibility to choose what I like.

Last edited:
I listen to many kinds of music. With orchestral mass I prefer a sound without added harmonics. With jazz, vocal, folk... if I notice that something is missing then I add them. So, with a single amplifier in my second system (computer) I deal with everything.

Of course, my hybrid integrated device (930€ at home) has very few harmonics at 4 Ohms, being a good base for the above. More than a year after its purchase, I started to play with it -> three weeks ago the sound improved -> I had to modify my optimization of the W10 for multimedia (reduction of the jitter generated in the CPU: ALU <--> registers) because it sounded strident. After fixing it, the sound is better than before

Measurements at 1/3 max power (about 40 watts/8 Ohms and 60 watts/4 Ohms)
:)

Attachments

• magnat_ma_900_1khz_spectrum_4ohm.jpg
    magnat_ma_900_1khz_spectrum_4ohm.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 22
  • magnat_ma_900_1khz_spectrum_8ohm.jpg
    magnat_ma_900_1khz_spectrum_8ohm.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I investigated to change them with other matched pair. Genalex Gold Lion ECC81 / B739 / 12AT7 (very good opinions) and the new Psvane 12AT7-S (hardly any comments) were the ones I selected but first I decided to investigate if I could improve the sound.

https://www.tubedepot.com/pages/tube-comparison-tool

Attachments

• ECC81 Genalex (12AT7Genalex) 2pcs.jpg
    ECC81 Genalex (12AT7Genalex) 2pcs.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Psvane 12AT7-S Art-Series, matched.png
    Psvane 12AT7-S Art-Series, matched.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 15
  • JJ ECC81 12AT7.png
    JJ ECC81 12AT7.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 18
  • JAN 12AWTC.png
    JAN 12AWTC.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 16
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hi,
based on X's idea of using an ICE Edge module, I thought it would be cool to build two monoblocks. So two 1200AS1 modules came into the house, which I wired on the test bed today - now comes the first switching on. In the next step I will design a tube input stage... I dug up my old school and university books and the knowledge I thought was lost is coming back :)

PSX_20240317_133736.jpg