What's a good 5" mid-bass for vocals?

A totally subjective question which anticipates answers like "it depends on the cabinet and crossover" etc. But nevertheless, can you guys point me to some good 5" units for vocals. I'm a musician and songwriter and listen mostly to vocal music.

I'd like in particular to get some opinions on the cone material. So far I prefer coated paper to aluminium (Alpairs) but no knowledge of aerogel, carbon fibre, kevlar, plastics etc. Looking for a sound that is fairly full and not skinny, while retaining good detail.

I propose to use a hollow concrete block enclosure 440x215x215mm which should be adequately rigid and dead.

Any opinions and experiences gratefully received.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Good Standard: SB17NRXC35-8
Old-School, but maybe better for your use: Audax HM130Z10

... There are 1000 other, but I would think of these two first.
Also Peerless as a lot of nice stuff for a fair price.
Eg Peerless 830656

Ah, almost forgot the "modern classic" Faital Pro 5FE120.
Almost perfect parameters and responce curve for a very good price.

Why 5 inch? Any particular reason, or have you heard some that you liked? Is this near-field listening, or more normal in room distance?

Yes, the cabinet I have in mind is a hollow concrete block 440x215x215mm. Interior is 139mm x 362mm. So a 5.5" is the biggest that will fit.

I see you guys are still recommending the Audax Aerogel driver. Do you find this good for vocals? I think I could still find a pair.

I've got two pairs of tiny speakers, one with Audax aerogels and one with Faital 5FE120. I prefer the Faitals.

Useful information. I've never heard aerogel except on YouTube videos which can hardly be relied on. From the little I could hear they were detailed but fairly bland and neutral. I'm wondering if vocals need a fuller sound? Was that the case with the Faitals?

The Faital unit is certainly good value. What crossover and tweeter did you use?

Last edited:
I find that glass-fiber/carbon-fiber midbasses do vocals very well, with minimal breakup.
The Seas-applied Curv-cone with bonded/woven polypropylene is also really nice.
Honeycomb and/or Kevlar is also really good at midrange and vocals, but they usually have peaks to remove.
Polypropylene/Mg-Silicate/DPC are all well damped. Sometimes there are dips in the response as a result.
Can't go wrong with good doped paper either.
Aluminum is also very clean, just kill the ringing.

That said-
Peerless 830991
Seas U16
I did NOT like the SB Rohacell/carbon-fiber drivers. The Satori TX drivers are likely much better.
Aurum Cantus AC130F1 is a gem. Clean and easy.

There are many good sounding vocal-producers.
Wolf

Reactions: 1 user
I have heard the CRC a couple(3?) times now, and it has a coloration that is not unlike hearing a spike in 3rd order HD. It's not an even-order issue, for that I'm certain. The first time I heard it was in a funky shaped cabinet and several thought the cabinet might have been to blame. Then I heard it again, and was met with the same colored issue in a more conventional cabinet. I would not use it, and avoid it if possible.

The ceramics are wonderful, and nothing is amiss with those. Tame the breakup, and you're golden.

Wolf

But nevertheless, can you guys point me to some good 5" units for vocals. I'm a musician and songwriter and listen mostly to vocal music.

I'd like in particular to get some opinions on the cone material.
I propose to use a hollow concrete block enclosure 440x215x215mm which should be adequately rigid and dead.
Smooth response is possible with a wide variety of cone materials, every material has positive and negative attributes.

The Galaxy Audio 5" driver does a great job all by itself for vocals, and can get loud enough for stage use (over 110 dB at 1meter), though a concrete block would not be fun to carry ;^).

https://www.galaxyaudio.com/assets/uploads/product-files/S5N-8cutsheet_v082011.pdf

The S5N-8 does fine down to 100 Hz, so adding a subwoofer is all you need to complete a system.

Attachments

• Galaxy Audio S5N-8.png
    Galaxy Audio S5N-8.png
    246.7 KB · Views: 242
Last edited: