What was the last full album you listened to?

Diana Krall - Stepping Out Her best album IMO. Not for her singing but for her piano playing. Unfortunately the industry has relegated her as a singer which is not her best skill.

Hmmm, I think singing is her best skill. Even better than her piano work. It's hard to beat that smoky bar room voice of hers. I've been a fan of hers since around 2001 or so and I never saw her in concert until this last February or so when I got to see her in Oklahoma City. She was so good.

Last edited:
Interesting. What's your uncle's name?

My uncles name is Brian Newcombe. At the time Hearts regular bass player Steve Fossen was sick as I remember being told, and my uncle was brought in to record that song with them. He's credited on the LP liner notes for bass on the song, but nothing on the CD, or at least the one I have.. He was also in the band Chilliwack for a few years in the mid 80's.. Played and recorded with many of the big names, Ray Charles, Celine Dion, David Foster etc etc.. He was also in a band in the late 60's called Canada that played some shows alongside Janis Joplin, Steppenwolf.. He was overseas a few times in the 70's playing for the troops with Bob Hope, and also was hired for the Sonny and Cher show, but they broke up or cancelled the show a few weeks after. In the mid 70's I remember seeing him at a venue when I was just a kid, when he was in the band Jayson Hoover and Stuff. He recorded the Lion King Medley, laid down bass on a Jessica Simpson album, 98 degrees, Jayze etc..

Anyhow here's some pages he has up:

E-Studio-BassPlayer.com | Brian Newcombe - Pro Studio, Concert, & Online Session Bassist

Brian Newcombe - Resume 2016

Wow, very nice. Great album. Embarrassed to say that I had that in the '78 era on...8-track when I was 16 driving my very first car (69 Chevy Impala.) Also had Magazine.

Nothing embarrassing about that :) Lot's of people were rocking the 8-tracks back in the 70's.. Your first car was nicer than mine too.. I wasn't 16 till 81, and my first car was a beat up old 66 Valiant Signet with a slant 6 that I paid $400 for.. Had lots of fun with that car though, until about a year later when it needed way too much brake work .. Sold it for $200 .. Always wished I could get a cool muscle car at the time though.

Nothing embarrassing about that :) Lot's of people were rocking the 8-tracks back in the 70's.. Your first car was nicer than mine too.. I wasn't 16 till 81, and my first car was a beat up old 66 Valiant Signet with a slant 6 that I paid $400 for.. Had lots of fun with that car though, until about a year later when it needed way too much brake work .. Sold it for $200 .. Always wished I could get a cool muscle car at the time though.
Dave,
So funny about your '66 Valiant. Before I got my driver's license and first car, my next door neighbor's mom had a '67 Dodge Dart (if I remember right). Anyway, her son and my buddy used to sneak out his mom's car keys and we'd drive around doing stupid stuff, especially drinking beer and smoking weed, like dumbasses did back then. Oh, the good ol' days.

Dave,
So funny about your '66 Valiant. Before I got my driver's license and first car, my next door neighbor's mom had a '67 Dodge Dart (if I remember right). Anyway, her son and my buddy used to sneak out his mom's car keys and we'd drive around doing stupid stuff, especially drinking beer and smoking weed, like dumbasses did back then. Oh, the good ol' days.

Cool I'd take that Dart over the Valiant, and ended up owning a 73 Dart with a slant 6 again, another beater I had for a few years lol. Yep the good ol' days for sure! I did lots of stupid stuff as well, and it was a much different time then compared to things nowadays.

Neat you were in St.John and thank you for your service! I haven't really checked it out yet there as of yet. Yeah passports are needed for sure and probably a good thing these days.. Not as easy as back in our youth to cross borders and such, when all you needed was just a drivers license or even a department store card would do, or pretty much just a library card etc lol..

I last listenend to my Iron Maiden record :) (First album)

WHAT A GOOD ALBUM...... I WOULD SAY ITS THIER BEST!!!!!!!

I had thier 5th album (Powerslave - 1984) and to me it didnt sound good,it was thinner and not pleasing... I dunno if it was mixed digitally or what..... Most likely mixed to digital....... (The CD for this albums spar code is ADD)

The 80s are such a dissapointment when ya look back @ them... Thats when everything started becoming crap and its sad....

Thankfully the guy that worked on thier albums (1981 thru 1992) DID NOT DO THE FIRST ONE!!!! (1980)

It is excellent!!!! -- Pure analogue glory :)

great band that should have seen more success . I ran out and bought their 45 of "Lonesome Mary" when it came out

That's cool, good ol 45's :) Yeah there's many Canadian bands that only get so far really unless they break big into the US market, such as Rush for example.. My wife is from Chicago and never heard of April Wine until she came here, she loves them lol.. I've been hearing them on the radio and on albums since the 70's, but to her they're brand new now lol.

Anyhow I don't mean to derail this thread so much.. My favorite Chilliwack song they did is Fly At Night, love the rockin feel, the acoustic, and guitar solo on that song..

Here's the only old video I could find with my uncle playing in the band circa 1986 on the My Girl song.. He's in the back right playing a headless Steinberger bass Cheers! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-IIDmOFmEA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCvJhSrN5kk

Last edited: