What is wrong with TPA3255?

Update: Google tells me there are two different versions of the SMSL M6:
One has a C-Media CM6631A USB interface + AK4390EF DAC. Onboard volume control applies only to the headphone output.
The other has an XMOS XU208 interface + AK4452 DAC. This model includes a remote control, and possibly onboard volume control - so a potentiometer would not be needed in this case.

Hi,
i bought 3e Audio 3255 amp because it looks to be the best engined one. I works well but i need to know how to improve its sound. I actually use an Aleph-30 and wanto to shift to a more cold amp, but not in sound. 3255 sounds good enaugh but i would to reach his maximum perfomances. So i thought some tweaks by reading here and there in forums. There are many posts about other pcb than 3e-audio so i ask if anyone can summary ho to modify this amp.
1. decouplig caps: are they elctrolitic caps? why not film caps?
2. PFFB i think to follow 3e-audio instructions
3. choke: are the stock chokes good enaugh? What the best choice?
4. Output caps?

Can anyone clarify me and give me some suggestion?

Into 3eAudio 3255 pcb there are 4 decoupling caps near heatsink and 4 electolytics caps near SE -DIFF jumpers. What are they for?
Does the signal pass through?
EAUMT-0260-2-A_3D_45.jpg

Thanks drMordor,

i'm trying to find exct components for pffb but i dont understand something that seems to be mistakes.
pffb10.jpg

Into the table C_fb_in, C_fb_out, R_fb_gnd are not into EVM schematics and BOM so i dont know restitors power handling and tolerance and caps Voltage.

R_z is stated for R54,R55,R56,R57 1 ohm but into EVM schematics there are R53,R54,R55,R56 3.3K.
Same R47, R49, R50,R51 into PFFB schema are 33K but into BOM are 10k
I'm relating to https://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slou441/s...741392&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.it%2F
A bit confused

Last edited:
I think people right off digital volumes too quickly and being bit perfect is not possible. All DACs process the bits differently, so how the bits are processed is more important. Even our music players process the sound slightly differently, Audirvana and Roon are both highly rated but sound different. Our ears at low volumes are not able to tell the difference between MP3 and 16/24bit recordings. It might be that I am really lazy so I use a digital volume and my amp volume is at max all the time. I do upscale my music to 32bit which improves the resolution at lower volumes. I was not able to tell the difference between a pot and digital volume. I’m not an audiophile so things being bit perfect and expensive usb leads are not detectable by my mortal ears.

I have a question regarding the 3e 3255 amp board. I was planning on using my laptop as a source and have made a TRS to RCA cable.

I have read that the TRS connector can short when being inserted and I have read that Class D amps do not cope well with being shorted. Will it hurt my amp to plug this TRS plug into the headphone jack of my laptop with the RCA connected and amp turned on?

I have a question regarding the 3e 3255 amp board. I was planning on using my laptop as a source and have made a TRS to RCA cable.

I have read that the TRS connector can short when being inserted and I have read that Class D amps do not cope well with being shorted. Will it hurt my amp to plug this TRS plug into the headphone jack of my laptop with the RCA connected and amp turned on?
It's worse than just shorting. The tip and ring (signal carrying connections) will touch your laptop outputs first (before the ground connection does), and with the lack of common ground between laptop and amp there will be a loud 50/60Hz signal going through the amp. This may not hurt the amp, and depending on the speakers connected, it might not hurt the speakers either, but it will definitely make a loud, annoying sound from the speakers.

Unlike modern USB connectors on computers, analog cables are NOT "hot swappable." TURN OFF YOUR AMP (or really, turn off any and all connected or to-be-connected audio equipment) before plugging in or unplugging any input or output.