What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder about you sometimes, Galu! Do Ye not know that you are allowed 30 minutes to edit before a subsequent post?

Not many people know this, but the UK has won more Nobel Prizes, per capita of population, than any other Country. :)

I have been continuing my UK researches into the best time to swim at Portsmouth, UK, Beach.

Low Tide, 9AM yesterday was a disaster. Awful rip-current that took me Eastwards. Seems to switch abruptly. A 20 minute margin calling for great precision.

Much more success with 3.5 Hours before Low Tide this morning.

Anywhoo, have been investigating the question of Supernovas, Kilonovas and Novas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilonova

A matter of simple Elemental Chemistry, IMO. White Dwarfs accrete Matter from a nearby Red Giant Star. Bright explosions.

Excellent technical Chemistry book acquired today:

IM000081.JPG
Dwarfs accrete

Picked it up for 50p at the local Marie Curie Cancer Nurses Charity Shop. A worthy cause.

Starts with discussion of of the Bohr Hydrogen Atom. A subject I cracked when 17. Moves onto Quantum Mechanics and Electron Spin.

Bit deeper... :(

My current opinion is the Universe is expanding EVERYWHERE. But in our local Virgo Cluster we have sufficient Mass to overcome it. :D

Last edited:
A matter of simple Elemental Chemistry, IMO.

Not "simple elemental chemistry" in the case of a kilonova, I would submit.

A neutron star merger creates heavy elements through the 'rapid neutron capture process', also known as the 'r-process'.

This is a process in which an atomic nucleus captures neutrons quickly enough to allow very heavy elements to be created.

The r-process also occurs in thermonuclear weapons, and was responsible for the initial discovery of the heavy elements einsteinium and fermium.

Attachments

• r-process.png
    r-process.png
    65.4 KB · Views: 38
Aha, so we are separating and interpunctuating the other way 'round: overhere, 1,001 is one and a thousandst... (What you are writing as 1.001) ;D

Now I'm confused! :D

I read that the Switzerland is unusual in using a point (.) as a decimal separator and an apostrophe (') as a thousands separator, as in 1'000'000.00

Is that correct?

EDIT: I'm not confused regarding the 1,001 and 1.001 comparison - that I understand! :cool:

Last edited:
Beware fake JWST images!

The attached image, posted on Twitter, was purported to be a JWST image of Proxima Centauri, the star closest to our Sun.

It was, in fact, just a slice of tasty chorizo!

And, it was a physicist wot dun it!!!! :nownow:

Attachments

• NOT Proxima Centauri!.jpg
    NOT Proxima Centauri!.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: 1 user
The age of one of the record-breaking galaxies that appeared in the JWST's first images has been called into question.

Based on how red the galaxy CEERS-DSFG-1 appeared, the JWST astronomers placed it just 220 million years after the Big Bang.

However, it may be that this is a 'dusty galaxy' which is absorbing the bluer wavelengths of starlight while allowing redder wavelengths to pass.

That would place the galaxy at 1.3 billion years after the Big Bang. If so, it's still old and far away, but not to any record-breaking extent.

Here’s another ‘scope on the way

Welcome back, Bonsai! The Magellan will be the world's largest multi-mirror telescope! 🤩

"The telescope will have 10 times the light collecting area and four times the spatial resolution of the JWST, and will be 200 times more powerful than any other research telescope currently in use. For context, it will be able to show the torch on a dime from nearly 100 miles away with tack-sharp focus."

There will be seven mirror segments, and the size of the central segment alone can be appreciated by looking at the attachment.

Attachments

• Magellan Telescope Artist's Impression.jpg
    Magellan Telescope Artist's Impression.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Construction of Magellan Central Mirror Segment.jpg
    Construction of Magellan Central Mirror Segment.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: 1 user
That looks a very good telescope! It's huge!

Presumably has less diffraction problems in terms of those octagonal spiky flares that the compromised James Webb has from the triangular detector support struts..

The simulated images look good.

Not operating in the infra-red presumably, so cosmic dust is less transparent.

These things usually go in the Atacama Desert in Chile. Thinner dryer air but still about 70% density and mostly clear skies. Not a problem for most people. Almost no light pollution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atacama_Desert

Status
Not open for further replies.