What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So much to get through here. Time and Space. My horsey test of F-Theory at Musselburgh. The Stephen Hawking film, which I finished.

But the WORST OF ALL, accusations that I put an apostrophe incorrectly in Ovaltiney's... :mad:

Well eat your words. Here's Wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
These were some of the shows heard in March 1952 as reported in the 208 programme schedule:

* Sundays: 6:15 pm “ Ovaltiney's Concert Party “ a version of the popular show that was originally broadcast before World War II over the original Radio Luxembourg long-wave station.

Radio Luxembourg - Wikipedia

It's everybody else who gets it wrong IMO. Bit I can ask my sister, she was there. :)

I wondered if I had woken up on an Alternative Universe this morning. Fancied Ham and Eggs. The Eggs were WHITE! Were they DUCK EGGS? :confused:

When I were a lad, Eggs were brown. Nipped round to Tesco to buy some more. Phew, just a momentary blip in the Space-Time Continuum. Now corrected in The Matrix! :cool:

Actually they tasted the same. But things do with lots of Ketchup...

Attachments

• Large Eggs.JPG
    Large Eggs.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Medium Eggs.JPG
    Medium Eggs.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 57
  • Ham and Eggs.JPG
    Ham and Eggs.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 273
Google is God!

All the necessary information is out there, but you do need to know what you are searching for, how to filter the information you find and how to present it to the thread in a more assimilable form.

As I've said all along, I don't carry this knowledge in my head, but I am sufficiently knowledgeable to interpret what I find.

Better than carping from the sidelines! ;)

OK, here's my review of the Stephen Hawking film, "The Theory of Everything":

988971d1633726331-universe-expanding-stephen-hawking-jpg

Written by his Wife Jane Hawking in Reality.

After the first RomCom 10 minutes it seriously ceased to be funny. Motor Neurone Disease is not a Fight but a Depressing Defeat, by the initial Doctor's diagnosis. At about age 20 Stephen was told he had two crippling and wasting years to live.

He sank into Depression, only lifted by his Girlfriend Jane. The only upside was his Brain would be unaffected, even if his body failed him, and communication became difficult. We all know that Robot voice. But a person behind it. A very amusing and lively person.

No spoilers from me. Actor Eddie Redmayne was superb in portraying this physically twisted man. I grew immense respect for Stephen. Talk about defying the odds and achieving something! Hawking Radiation.

Written by his Wife Jane Hawking in Reality.
Thanks for the review, Steve, and for not including spoilers as I have still, somehow, managed to avoid watching the film!

His first wife Jane told the story of their marriage in the book "Travelling to Infinity".

The film misses out such details as their honeymoon being spent at a physics conference at Cornell University in upstate New York!

That reminds me of James Prescott Joule's honeymoon in the Alps when his wife had to accompany him to the waterfalls at Chamonix where her new husband attempted to measure the temperature at the top and the bottom of the falls.

Joule (after whom the unit of energy is named) wanted to show that when water falls through 778 feet its temperature rises by one degree Fahrenheit, in accord with his theory of the mechanical equivalent of heat.

Attachments

• Travelling to Infinity.jpg
    Travelling to Infinity.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 71
Like Stephen Hawking, I too have been thinking about Time. Apparently he was quite interested in Time having a second dimension...

Vishal, this will interest you, since the Indians clearly have been considering the mysteries of the Universe for thousands of years. The most symmetrical number is actually Zero. Discovered in India. :)

Quantum Theory without Classical Time: a Route to Quantum Gravity and Unification

Tejinder P. Singh

Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Homi Bhabha Road, Mumbai 400005, India

Invited review article submitted to the special collection ”Celebrating Sir Roger Penrose’s Nobel Prize”
AVS Quantum Science (AIP Publishing and AVS), Guest Editor: Hendrik Ulbricht

Tejinder Pal Singh's Home Page

ABSTRACT

There must exist a reformulation of quantum field theory which does not employ classical time to describe evolution, even at low energies. To achieve this goal, we have proposed a pre-quantum, pre-spacetime theory, which is a matrix valued Lagrangian dynamics on an octonionic spacetime.

This is a deterministic but non-unitary dynamics in which evolution is described by Connes time, a feature unique to non-commutative geometry. From here, quantum field theory and its indetermin-ism, as well as classical space-time geometry, are emergent under suitable approximations.

In the underlying theory, the algebra of the octonions reveals evidence for the standard model of particle physics, and for its unification with a pre-cursor of gravitation, through extension to the Left-Right symmetric model and the symmetry group E 6 . When elementary particles are described by spinors made from a Clifford algebra, the exceptional Jordan algebra yields a theoretical derivation of the low energy fine-structure constant, and of the observed mass ratios for charged fermions.

We identify the Left-Right symmetry breaking with electroweak symmetry breaking, which also results in separation of emergent four-dimensional Minkowski spacetime from the internal symmetries which describe the standard model.

This ‘compactification without compactification’ is achieved through the Ghirardi-Rimini-Weber mechanism of dynamical wave function collapse, which arises naturally in our theory, because the underlying fundamental Hamiltonian is necessarily non-self-adjoint.
Only classical systems live in four dimensions; quantum systems always live in eight octonionic (equivalently ten Minkowski) dimensions.

We explain how our theory overcomes the puzzle of quantum non-locality, while maintaining consistency with special relativity. We speculate on the possible connection of our work with twistor spaces and spinorial space-time, and with Modified Newtonian Dynamics (MOND).

We point to the promising phenomenology of E 6 , and mention possible experiments which could test the present proposal. In the end we outline further work that still remains to be done towards completion of this programme.

Didn't understand all the paper, but Tejinder makes goodish predictions of the masses of leptons and quarks from his idea, which mostly involve combinations of 1 and 4/9. Strangest thing I have seen since the Koide Formula with emphasis on 2/3:

Koide formula - Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.