What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Honesty, we’ve lurched from the sublime to the ridiculous with this whole M, F theory bs.

Clearly a bunch of very clever guys groping around in tne dark, coming up with fantastic equations that all come to naught. A bit like fusion which has been just a year or two away for the last 50 years.

String theory is not experimentally provable so is it then a religion?

The world desperately needs another Einstein.

Pauli died in 1958. String Theory hadn't even been thought up then! :confused:

Planck units are so extremely big or small, that testing String Theory is currently impossible. That's my excuse.

Planck units - Wikipedia

I am testing F-Theory today. All about the 12 dimensions.

Having a dab at "Muntadab" at Muddy Musselburgh in the 4.10. Hated "Volatile Analyst", who broke my heart on Saturday, is a non-runner. Past Form is 116916 (12 x 9743). Odds are 12-1. Two A's in the name (3 is better). No tipsters like it. Looks a dead cert to me! £1 WIN. :cool:

4:10 Musselburgh | Standard Racecard | 11 October 2021 | Racing Post

arg_ , you are getting as bad as Bonsai! If you are wrong it is better to admit it. Or just duck out till the page is turned, and everybody has forgotten about it! :D

I categorise Anti-String Theorists alongside Vegans and Anti-Vaxxers...

Palpable Internet nonsense here by Peter Woit, dressed up by quoting someone more sensible like Fermi:

Not Even Wrong

I see no problem at all in two dimensions of Time in F-Theory. Perhaps allowing Prophecy of the future.

Cassandra was very good at Prophecy. She knew that Paris running off with Helen would end badly. She knew the Greeks were hiding in the Trojan Horse. BUT NO ONE BELIEVED HER! :eek:

Cassandra - Wikipedia

arg_ , you are getting as bad as Bonsai! If you are wrong it is better to admit it. Or just duck out till the page is turned, and everybody has forgotten about it! :D

I believe this is what I did but since you 'd rather see it verbatim I have no problem, Yes I was wrong Pauli said it on another occasion. Does it change the fact that it applies to string theory too? I wonder, have you read Peter Woit's book that you are so eager to discredit?

I wouldn't bother arg_, Steve is not so quick to admit when he is wrong himself.

Like when I pulled him up regarding putting an apostrophe in Ovaltiney's when it should have been Ovaltineys.

Originally Posted by system7 I think Ovaltiney preserves the product name. Otherwise it would be Ovaltinies. Dunno.
It's all part of Steve's inimitable charm, and we love him for it! :hbeat:

The Scottish Aurora Season has started with some spectacular displays this month.

The 'Northern Lights', 'Merry Dancers' or 'Nimble Men' are here pictured from Lossiemouth on the Moray Coast.

Attachments

• Aurora Lossiemouth Oct 21.jpg
    Aurora Lossiemouth Oct 21.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 71
Whatever happened to Germanium transistors? Lower bias than Silicon's 0.7V, weren't they? :)

Yeah, about 0.3V, but tend to be (electrically) leaky. I presume they stopped making them sometime in the 1960s, but they're still in demand for replacement in Vox, Farfisa and other 60's combo organs, as well as "new designs" of electric guitar fuzz/distortion pedals. It's all about the sound. Someone uses some cheap effect on a song that happens to become a hit, and everyone wants the thing that makes "that sound."

It's amazing what germanium-diode effects can go for, but I've seen 1N34 diodes surplus for 50 cents each.

I fluked it. Had no idea what a Plutoid was. :eek:
I missed that one too, I had no idea that "According to NASA, plutoids are dwarf planets that “orbit around the Sun at a distance greater than that of Neptune”. It's clearly a modern word coined since the demotion of Pluto.

I guessed at a couple of others too, but I knew many of them, such as the iron core.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Time is created by gravity . Gravity is created by mass . No mass no gravity no time . Thats is the endless space void . Time is directly linked to decay of the elements . If there is no element . There is no decay . There is no tme .

If you search around on the web, you will get a slightly different view from professional physicists.

Time and space are considered equivalent - ie the same thing. Einstein called it 'spacetime'.

You need energy to create space between two objects (stars, planets, atoms).

Gravity warps spacetime, but it is not correct to say 'no mass, no time'.

On this specific point there was a famous exchange between Einstein and one of his friends (Marcel Grossmann IIRC) in which they discussed this point and concluded that space had to exist for matter to exist.

Time is directly linked to decay of the elements . If there is no element . There is no decay . There is no time .
Bonsai has commented on the first part of your post. However, in the spirit of friendly discussion, I've got a question for you regarding the second part. :happy1:

"Decay" is a property of radioactive elements such as the Thorium 232, Uranium 235 and Uranium 238 that are found in the Earth's crust.

These heavy radioactive elements are only produced during supernovae explosions, so it follows that their existence depends on the prior existence of stars in the Universe.

Does your hypothesis suggest that time did not exist before star formation occurred in the Universe and before those heavy radioactive elements had been formed in the hearts of dying stars?

Status
Not open for further replies.