What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Start with a slight aside. Years ago I got involved in a thread called "Is the Universe Spinning?"

I would have phrased it in a way similar to this "What is the Universe Expanding Into?" thread.

In other words, "If the Universe is spinning, what is it spinning around?".

I know a bit about rotation. Cue the 4D Tesseract:

8-cell.gif

It is in unfortunate property of the Cross Product (AXB) used in Vectors on the x,y plane, that it only works in 3D. In 4D, rotation is around a plane, not a z-axis. There is no car axle on a wheel in 4D. Some people hate Vectors for this reason.

If you want to think about the Moon rotating around the Earth, it really makes no mathematical sense at all to use a third axis of inertia in the North-South direction. You follow?

(P.s. I quickly solved the problem. Think of an ice skater. As she tucks her limbs in, she spins faster. Therefore, if the Universe is now spinning, it would have been spinning infinitely fast at the Big Bang. That's impossible. So it isn't spinning! :cool: )

Onto Tajinder Singh's ideas;
ABSTRACT

There must exist a reformulation of quantum field theory which does not employ classical time to describe evolution, even at low energies. To achieve this goal, we have proposed a pre-quantum, pre-spacetime theory, which is a matrix valued Lagrangian dynamics on an octonionic spacetime.

This is a deterministic but non-unitary dynamics in which evolution is described by Connes time, a feature unique to non-commutative geometry. From here, quantum field theory and its indetermin-ism, as well as classical space-time geometry, are emergent under suitable approximations.

In the underlying theory, the algebra of the octonions reveals evidence for the standard model of particle physics, and for its unification with a pre-cursor of gravitation, through extension to the Left-Right symmetric model and the symmetry group E 6 . When elementary particles are described by spinors made from a Clifford algebra, the exceptional Jordan algebra yields a theoretical derivation of the low energy fine-structure constant, and of the observed mass ratios for charged fermions.

We identify the Left-Right symmetry breaking with electroweak symmetry breaking, which also results in separation of emergent four-dimensional Minkowski spacetime from the internal symmetries which describe the standard model.

This ‘compactification without compactification’ is achieved through the Ghirardi-Rimini-Weber mechanism of dynamical wave function collapse, which arises naturally in our theory, because the underlying fundamental Hamiltonian is necessarily non-self-adjoint. Only classical systems live in four dimensions; quantum systems always live in eight octonionic (equivalently ten Minkowski) dimensions.

We explain how our theory overcomes the puzzle of quantum non-locality, while maintaining consistency with special relativity. We speculate on the possible connection of our work with twistor spaces and spinorial space-time, and with Modified Newtonian Dynamics (MOND).

We point to the promising phenomenology of E6 , and mention possible experiments which could test the present proposal. In the end we outline further work that still remains to be done towards completion of this programme.

Not too hard to see where he is going on this. Quantum Chromodynamics is a theory employing 3x3 Unitary Matrices, where the diagonal (Trace) adds up to 1. You really need 4D Quaternions to break Commutativity. Which naturally gives you Quantum Theory, and perhaps the 4D Minkowski space of Special Relativity. In Quaternions (a x b) is not equal to (b x a).

8D Octonions are a very rarely studied extension of Quaternions. Cohl Furey and John Baez like them:

883795d1602539786-universe-expanding-dr-cohl-furey-jpg

Cohl Furey can be found on YouTube deriving Quarks in Octonion theory. Octonions not only don't commute, but do not Associate. Which means a x (b x c) is not equal to (a x b) x c. After Octonions, 16D algebras are no longer Division algebras, which means you can't find the inverse to multiplication, so usefulness ends at 8.

AFAIK, E6 is the symmetry group which happens to describe the compactified 6D Calabi-Yau manifold of String Theory. You might visualise it as something to do with a 60 degree Kaleidescope:
E6 polytope - Wikipedia

Electro-weak symmetry breaking is the CP violation exhibited by Strange and Charmed mesons. It was also noticed in the decay of Cobalt 60. AFAIK, CPT is conserved.

Tajinder is, IMO, casting String Theory mathematics and symmetries into the 4D Minkowski SpaceTime of the Standard Model. That's my impression, whilst being too weak in the precise Maths to exactly follow it. But he has done his sums, and they seem to work. The mathematics of the two competing theories of Physics might eventually converge. Rather clever!

Last edited:
Without Humour, the average Physicist would go utterly mad... :D

I am currently taking a break from the worry of it all with The Classics!

Why? Well the Government severely discourages an interest in Homer from 3,000 years ago. Considered the first great Novelist, and lauded by his contemporaries. I have discovered that whilst Homer and Herodutus are stocked by our library, they are stored out of sight in the basement. Away from enquiring minds. It is well known that to cow a population, you must keep them in ignorance. :mad:

I enjoy a ripping yarn, and it doesn't come better than The Iliad and The Odyssey! When the Gods walked amongst us! :cool:

I also discovered a strange and interesting item in the Street. Looks familiar from my Telephone days. Much interesting Physics there. The Shannon-Hartley Theorem, for one thing. Analog and digital linked by Information Theory.

Attachments

• It's All Greek to Me.JPG
    It's All Greek to Me.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 338
  • Twisted Pair Telephone Lines.JPG
    Twisted Pair Telephone Lines.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 433
I can tell you a short tale that happened today!

We have a new tenant in Room 4 after the sad demise of the previous one. TBH, the Portsmouth Coroner thinks I dun him in, and wants a statement from me, since I was the last person to see him alive and found him on the floor. Well, nobody saw me do it! You can't prove a fing! :eek:

Anyway, the new tenant is quite short. What is called "vertically challenged" in Modern Speak. Claims the Clothesline is too high for her. Why can't she buy a stool when drying clothes? Or we should add a clause to the tenancy agreement that short people should not apply to live in our house. :D

NO. That's discimination. Landlord has had to put his hand in his pocket and fix it,

We now have a raiseable Clothesline. TBH, I think the blue colour doesn't blend in with the brickwork. The knot is genius however. But another cheap fix for the Landlord. I got my revenge. Just as he was heading off, having installed an old unwanted Mirror of mine in the hallway at female-friendly height, I gave him a copies of "Gardener's World" and "Homes and Gardens" for his high-maintenace wife, Beverley.

He was very unhappy. Why? "If Beverley sees all these Home and Garden Improvements, like Aga cookers and Pine Tables and Pagodas, she will have me installing them. And that will cost me Money and Work!"

Oh well. :)

Attachments

• Hallway Mirror Installed.jpg
    Hallway Mirror Installed.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Knot Theory on Clotheslines.jpg
    Knot Theory on Clotheslines.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 133
  • Clotheslines.jpg
    Clotheslines.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 199
That reminds me of the Glaswegian wumman who got a man in to mend her pulley.

(A pulley is an indoor clothes drying rack that is lowered from the ceiling to receive the wet clothes, then hoisted back up to let them dry - see attachment).

After he had finished, the man said, "Ye can get yer claes (clothes) up noo, hen".

Taken aback, the wumman replied, "But ah thocht ye wanted money!" :D

Attachments

• Pulley.gif
    Pulley.gif
    95.5 KB · Views: 43
Speaking of spin, I've always thought it was improper the way physicists have relegated the spin of sub atomic particles to just the realm of quantum physics. Sure, "measurement" of spin on individual particles is subject to all the complexity and uncertainty of quantum mechanics. But measurement restrictions shouldn't dictate the idea of "projecting" classical ideas of angular momentum and spin on subatomic particles to see where it gets you. It would be kind of like the process of mathematical integration. You project spin angular momentum properties of macroscopic objects onto subatomic particles and then work back from the answer.

The main conservation laws in classical physics are
1. Conservation of momentum
2. Conservation of angular momentum
3. Conservation of energy

If it's obvious to some people that spin angular momentum of subatomic particles don't obey conservation of momentum laws then it sure isn't obvious to me. It may just be that conservation of angular momentum of subatomic particles is the hidden answer in quantum gravity. Somebody should look.

First things first. We have more than enough alternative clothes-drying facilities for the vertically-challenged in our house... see below. :D

Second, Portsmouth F.C. versus Sutton United. A shoo-in for my boyhood heroes Sutton United, I was coached in Gymnastics by Sutton United 's Dario Gradi. Also Crewe Alexandra's most famous manager. We followed him to Wembley in the FA Amateur Cup Final. I told all this to Pompey Taxi-Controller Colin tonight. "Worth a few Quid on the result?" he wondered. "For Sure" I said.

Am I good, or am I good? Sutton Won 2-0 at Pompey! :D

Spin is a good subject. We don't think about it much, Galileo was more concerned with linear momentum. But recently, we have to think about the fact that no particle can move through Time-Space without spinning. We vaguely notice Tides on Earth. A second-order effect of spin. Well, on the Moon, if it had an ocean, they would be about 80 times stronger. :cool:

Attachments

• Play Up Pompey!.jpg
    Play Up Pompey!.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 36
Speaking of spin, I've always thought it was improper the way physicists have relegated the spin of sub atomic particles to just the realm of quantum physics. Sure, "measurement" of spin on individual particles is subject to all the complexity and uncertainty of quantum mechanics. But measurement restrictions shouldn't dictate the idea of "projecting" classical ideas of angular momentum and spin on subatomic particles to see where it gets you. It would be kind of like the process of mathematical integration. You project spin angular momentum properties of macroscopic objects onto subatomic particles and then work back from the answer.

The main conservation laws in classical physics are
1. Conservation of momentum
2. Conservation of angular momentum
3. Conservation of energy

If it's obvious to some people that spin angular momentum of subatomic particles don't obey conservation of momentum laws then it sure isn't obvious to me. It may just be that conservation of angular momentum of subatomic particles is the hidden answer in quantum gravity. Somebody should look.

One thing we have learned in this thread is that nobody understands quantum spin. Classical rotation is a bit easier. Obeys Conservation of Angular Momentum.

866018d1596640698-universe-expanding-spin-half-jpg

I was trying to remember where I got or read the notion that tidal forces on the Moon are 80 times stronger than on the Earth. I think it was from the 4:1 ratio of diameter. Cube it and you get a mass ratio around 64.

I believe the Earth's rotation is slowing down. The Moon has already essentially stopped rotating relative to us. You always see the same side. I think it's right to say the Moon is getting further from the Earth with Time. This is Conservation of Angular Momentum. The lost angular momentum of the Earth as it slows down is transferred to the Moon, which must get further away to compensate. Full Solar Eclipses will become a rarity as the Moon shrinks in our view. And Earth and Moon are settling into a 1:1 resonance.

My favourite bit of Angular Momentum in the Solar System is the 4:2:1 orbital resonance of Jupiter's Moons Io, Europa and Ganymede:

902378d1608146047-universe-expanding-jupiter-saturn-conjunction-jpg

This looks like a Hydrogen Atom or Quantum Mechanics to me. But it's Classical Mechanics.

902377d1608146047-universe-expanding-260px-galilean_moon_laplace_resonance_animation-gif

Weirdest thing. It runs like clockwork! What actually holds it together is Io's orbit is highly elliptical, tidal forces are enormous and heats Io up. It's only metastable. It'll find some other arrangement eventually.

I missed the flight of NS-18 (Blue Origin) today... :mad:

949746d1620423528-universe-expanding-star-trek-stamp-jpg

Just caught the Astronauts getting out on the Webcast. 90-y-o William Shatner was moved by the experience.

Star Trek'''s William Shatner blasts into space on Blue Origin rocket - BBC News

Said he was shocked how thin the usual blue atmosphere was. And was quite apprehensive about it all. Up there it is Black and Death. Had a dicey moment when his Astronaut Badge Award from Jeff Bezos was broken and wouldn't stick on. But was not worried. "Hey, I can just pretend it didn't happen!" :D

Blue Origin is environmentally friendly. Its exhaust is water.

William Shatner was moved by the experience.

Star Trek'''s William Shatner blasts into space on Blue Origin rocket - BBC News

Said he was shocked how thin the usual blue atmosphere was.
The shocking thinness of the Earth's atmosphere can be appreciated by looking at the attached image of the Aurora Borealis taken from the International Space Station.

An average apple is about 225 millimeters around, and its skin is about 3 millimeters thick. If we compare the Earth and its atmosphere to an apple and its skin, the skin of the apple is about 20 times thicker relative to the size of the apple than the atmosphere is to the size of the Earth.

Attachments

• Aurora from ISS.jpg
    Aurora from ISS.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 84
There's Tons of Air! Let's see. A square foot is 144 square inches. 15 Pounds per square inch. 2160 Pounds. That's nearly a Ton (2240 Pounds). Don't know what the Panic is about.

949746d1620423528-universe-expanding-star-trek-stamp-jpg

Has anyone noticed, as I have, the uncanny resemblance between Captain James T. Kirk and myself? I wonder if we are related?

I have trimmed my sideburns into the familiar Star Trek notch tonight. I have done this before. I once asked my mother if she had noticed my Star Trek sideburns. "Yes, very nice dear. Makes you look like Doctor Spock."

I know it's Mister Spock, but my mother confused him with Doctor Benjamin Spock, only suffering through Star Trek because the rest of us were glued to the gogglebox for it. Author of the very popular "Dr. Spock's Baby & Child Care" in 1946.

Doctor Spock had strong views on raising children. Advised mothers to always sleep their babies face down, to avoid choking. Later research attributed 50,000 sudden infant deaths to this poor advice. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.