What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this article dated 2012: Our Sun Moves More Slowly Than Thought - Scientific American

The sun is zipping through interstellar space more slowly than once thought, suggesting the giant shock wave long suspected of existing in front of the sun is not actually there, researchers say.
Data from NASA's Interstellar Boundary Explorer (IBEX) spacecraft reveals our sun is zipping through the local interstellar cloud at about 52,000 miles per hour. This is roughly 7,000 mph slower than previously thought, enough to keep a bow shock from developing.

and? ...The universe is rushing into....
The universe is simply stretching. There's nothing outside of the universe because the universe is all there is. It's not expanding into anything because there's nothing to expand into. Go on, prove me wrong! :tongue:

To quantify the expansion of the universe, every 3.3 million light-years farther away a distant galactic cluster is from us, it appears to be moving 46 miles per second faster. However, be aware that this estimate is subject to change! ;)

"While bow shocks certainly exist ahead of many other stars, we're finding that our sun's interaction doesn't reach the critical threshold to form a shock, so a wave is a more accurate depiction of what's happening ahead of our heliosphere, much like the wave made by the bow of a boat as it glides through the water," said McComas, principal investigator of the IBEX mission.....

....."The heliosphere screens out about 90 percent of cosmic rays," McComas said. "If not for the heliosphere, cosmic rays could affect things like human space travel and even potentially things on Earth. It's interesting to consider that maybe astrospheres are needed as a prerequisite for life around stars, to protect systems from galactic cosmic radiation."

That's about the gist of the Scientific American article. We find yet another reason why life on Earth may be a bit of a fluke. :D

Only in the sense of nil, zero, nowt, zilch, nix, not a dicky bird, not a sausage, sweet FA, zip or nada (I'll leave out the more vulgar similar terms!).

Can 'something' exist without first accepting the existence of 'nothing'? Perhaps that's what you mean to ask.

However, I'm more into Natural Philosophy (Physics) than Philosophy (the study of the fundamental nature of existence), so you tell me. :tilt:

This where are discussion is getting rather circular.

Clearly "nothing" is the simple way of looking at empty space. The vacuum.

But it's a sea of virtual particles according to Quantum Field Theory.

And the analogy of us living on the surface of an expanding 2-sphere (football) doesn't explain what we see. It must be a 3-sphere, and that exists within a 4D space: 4D space or 4D space-time. I dunno. But IIRC, you can turn a 2-sphere inside out in 4D space without breaking any rules.

n-sphere - Wikipedia

Which only Felix Klein would understand. Since he was good at that sort of thing.

Of course the string theory camp like the small hidden dimensions:

Calabi–Yau manifold - Wikipedia

In summary, I haven't got a clue! :eek:

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The one thing the universe is thick with from one end to the other is time. If you perturb it, it radiates out as a ‘time differential’ (ie a field).

When this field then interacts with other matter, it imparts energy to that object because in effect it is causing the receiving object to change its local (ie existing) time with respect to what it was and/surrounding objects. An example of this is a gravitational wave. I think that’s what a photon is as well - just a perturbation in the time field. This phenomena is completely relativistic and allows energy to be transmitted across what we call a vacuum which I would define as what’s left if you remove everything other than time.

And this ‘vacuum’ is very ‘heavy’ - like treacle. If you want to change an object’s time wrt to another object, you have to expend very large amounts of energy to do. You can do a thought experiment with two objects in inter-galactic space. The objects are moving alongside each other in a near as damn it zero gravitational field. If you shift one of the objects time wrt to other, even by a small amount, you need a lot of energy, ie the treacle analogy.

Last edited:
So, moving through spacetime is like wading through treacle!

It must be a consequence of quantum field theory, but I don't think the average mortal (i.e. ME!) is able to grasp it.

You might as well say "Fock space," for all that means to me! :D

Fock space in nLab

Attachments

• Excite my Fock space.jpg
    Excite my Fock space.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Photons in Fock space.jpg
    Photons in Fock space.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 58
TBH, Bonsai, I didn't quite understand that either. :D

You are saying time is everything. A lot of people are saying time is emergent and a bit of an illusion.

Interesting usual baffling stuff at Quanta Magazine:

Cosmic Triangles Open a Window to the Origin of Time

Way I see it is that if Space is expanding, virtual pairs of particles get separated so fast they can't recombine. That is good. But explains nothing, especially why matter preponderates over anti-matter. de Sitter Space is a familiar buzzword too.

But I am no closer to enlightenment, but am encouraged that the Universe might be all symmetry and geometry. My favourite topics. :)

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
But time is just a human construct - right? The only thing that do exist is order/change - no?

If so this would make Bonsai's stetement look like:

The one thing the universe is thick with from one end to the other is change.

Is suppose that undisputable :) escept for where its is 0K. There, nothing happens - still there is something there.

This is probably me repeating myself... :-/

//

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
"which means the Universe had to have started off more ordered than it is now.."

Well a tennis-ball size universe seem to me a lot more ordered than what we have now :)

So if time is a convenient construct for human - what is the "correct" and natural corresponding entity to what we call time?

How is order defined (Unit?) and how can I measure it?

//

In the common sense, entropy means disorder.

In physics, entropy is the measure of a system's thermal energy per unit temperature that is unavailable for doing useful work. Because work is obtained from ordered molecular motion, the amount of entropy is also a measure of the molecular disorder of a system.

Last orders please! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.