What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We were talking about science fiction women in space - here is the science fact reality!

Space.com is going to 'Mars' on a HI-SEAS habitat simulation | Space

Hi-SEAS (Hawaii Space Exploration Analog and Simulation) has simulated a Mars habitat. It was occupied yesterday by a group of six female researchers who began a two week 'Mission to Mars'.

"All of our missions will be female-led and female-majority. We, of course, will welcome with open arms our male colleagues, but we believe that women need to be placed at the center of our shared vision for space exploration."

Here's a photo of the habitat on Hawaii, situated on the side of the volcano, Mauna Loa.

Attachments

• Mars Habitat on Hawaii.jpg
    Mars Habitat on Hawaii.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 139
I just glanced through that article, I should read more about it, but it reminds me of "Biosphere 2" (so named because Earth is "Biosphere 1") that's a similar idea of people being "sealed in" for a while, but on a larger scale. I recently saw an hour-long documentary on it, and there's a book of the same name by the guy who instigated the whole thing.

I just looked, there are a bunch of books that discuss or mention it, and the head guy (John Allen) himself wrote TWO books about it:
BookFinder.com: Search Results (Matching Titles)

Here's a title:
"Human spaceflight analogs: Flashline Mars Arctic Research Station, Biosphere 2, Mars Desert Research Station, Tektite habitat, MARS-500, NEEMO"

Thanks for that benb!

Biosphere 2 takes us back to the early 90s when, perhaps unfairly, it became the subject of ridicule and late-night talk show jokes.

The project was inspired by the work of architect and theorist Buckminster Fuller, who popularised both the Geodesic Dome and the term 'Spaceship Earth'.

The irony is that, due to Covid-19, much of the Earth's population is currently living like biospherians!

The documentary entitled 'Spaceship Earth' was released this year. See the official trailer here: Spaceship Earth. Official Trailer. Launching Everywhere May 8. - YouTube

Attachments

• Spaceship Earth.jpg
    Spaceship Earth.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 92
Not only is the universe expanding, it is getting HOTTER! :redhot:

As the universe evolves, gravity pulls dark matter and gas in space together into galaxies and clusters of galaxies. The gravitational drag is so violent that the gases are being heated up.

A recent study has shown that the temperatures of gases closer to Earth today are about 10 times the temperature of the gases around objects farther away and further back in time. This conclusion is based on a method which estimates temperature from light which has travelled a long way to reach us.

The universe is getting hot, hot, hot, a new study suggests: Temperature has increased about 10 times over the last 10 billion years -- ScienceDaily

One of the things I find most interesting about the Universe is Conformal Transformations.

We get used to the ruler or "metric" or distance as a goodish measure of things.

Then we have the angle as something measurable.

TBH, I have no idea what is going on with time. Leave it for another day. :D

How Conformal Transformations work, is they preserve angles. The "metric" is lost. But something is preserved.

A sphere reflected in a sphere is still a sphere. But there is more. The whole thing extends to electrons or magnetism. Still Conformal.

Good bit of maths, IMO.

Attachments

• Orrery Cafe, Ryde High Steet, IOW.PNG
    Orrery Cafe, Ryde High Steet, IOW.PNG
    449 KB · Views: 433
  • Electric Dipole as a Conformal Transformation.PNG
    Electric Dipole as a Conformal Transformation.PNG
    92.1 KB · Views: 573
I looked in vain for a biholomorphic map (conformal transformation) of the universe, but did come up with a logarithmic map instead.

The illustration starts with the Solar System and ends with the cosmic microwave background of the Big Bang. Cool! :cool:

Attachments

• Logarithmic Map of the Entire Universe.jpg
    Logarithmic Map of the Entire Universe.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 126
I find Conformal Mappings or Transformations deeply interesting.

894343d1605660328-universe-expanding-electric-dipole-conformal-transformation-png

Notice that right-angles are preserved. But lengths are adjustable.

Do I want to go into Space? Sod that. The ISS Space Station is a dump:

These photos show life on the ISS in extraordinary detail | WIRED UK

And people are questioning the whole wisdom of Space exploration right now. Thing is, the Solar System has little more than dull airless rocks to offer:

Should astronauts abandon the space station? - BBC Future

But am all for Robotic Space Probes. Personally I'd much rather go to the local beach in Summer. :D

Did you know that the Tesseract was a crystalline cube-shaped containment vessel for the Space Stone, one of the six Infinity Stones that predate the universe and possess unlimited energy.

In the Marvel Cinematic Universe that is!

Attachments

• Marvel Tesseract.jpg
    Marvel Tesseract.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 44
Status
Not open for further replies.