What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Klein bottle is a monster:

5219c1b512d13cc61aaa7beb564984d4--bottle-design-glass-design.jpg

A 4D object. My geometry skills struggle to understand it, I probably revert to my weaker Algebra skills.

Easy enough to do multi-dimensional maths with these babies. It's just algebra. You can calculate the answer.

What was clever about Klein, was he just saw it instantly. He was into projective geometry,

I am on it. Something to do with 4 variables in an arithmetical or geometric ratio. :confused:

Interesting events as I stumbled home tonight.

A girl was taking a snap of the Sky tonight on her Phone.

What she was snapping was an interesting conjunction between the New Moon, Jupiter and Saturn. Nice little triangle.

She asked me if the pink one was Mars. No, No, No. Mars is elsewhere, off to the left. Still bright.

"Thankyou so much."

Glad people still notice stuff. :D

Attachments

• Arecibo Observatory.jpg
    Arecibo Observatory.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 303
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The Chinese now have the biggest single RT in the world. But, as you mention there are new techniques using multiple dishes to simulate very large RT’s eg MeerKAT in South Africa and there are a few others currently under construction. They’ve already done some serious imaging with this one eg centre of the Milky Way identifying numerous stars orbiting The BH there.

MeerKAT - Wikipedia

Might be the end of SETI which IIRC used Arecibo primarily.

Last edited:
The Murchison Widefield Array (MWA) telescope MWA - Telescope in Western Australia has searched the sky around the Vela constellation for signs of alien signals. This patch of sky contains at least 10 million stars, but is like a drop in the ocean compared to the total number of stars in our galaxy.

The search was also limited to radio signals that are similar to those of FM radio on Earth and it only lasted 17 hours. So, perhaps unsurprisingly, the search came up blank.

The attached image, captured by the MWA in 2019, shows the centre of the Milky Way Galaxy as it would look if humans could see radio waves

Attachments

• our galaxy in radio waves.jpg
    our galaxy in radio waves.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 91
I get nervous on ship's gangways, and they have solid sides... :eek:

Found something that might relate to magnetic filaments:

The weird space that lies outside our Solar System - BBC Future

Those two 40-y-o space probes Voyager I and II are still sending back data about a thing called the Heliosphere about 10 times further away than Neptune. We can pick up the signal because our radio dishes have got much better than when they launched.

I didn't fully understand it, but it seems the solar wind actually protects us from cosmic rays coming in from the galaxy. Lots of particles and atoms swapping charge and magnetism. Space is not as empty as I thought. :confused:

I've just tackled the BBC article - very interesting.

The idea that the Sun, with its planetary system in tow, leaves behind a wake as it ploughs its way through the interstellar medium is fascinating.

The two Voyager probes are now interstellar travellers, but are not headed towards any particular star. If they were headed to our nearest neighbour, Proxima Centauri, just 4 light-years away, they wouldn't reach it for another 80,000 years!

Attachments

• Interstellar Traveller.jpg
    Interstellar Traveller.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 70
Status
Not open for further replies.