What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
But time is just a human construct - right? The only thing that do exist is order/change - no?

If so this would make Bonsai's stetement look like:

The one thing the universe is thick with from one end to the other is change.

Is suppose that undisputable :) escept for where its is 0K. There, nothing happens - still there is something there.

This is probably me repeating myself... :-/

//

Maybe I should rephrase it a bit.

We talk about distances between objects, but a better view is that there is time between objects. If you want to minimize the difference in time between to objects you have to move them together and that takes energy - a lot of it. Conversely, to move them apart, also a lot of energy.

So if I have two stationary objects and the relative time between the two is changed (let’s say wrt a third observer object), one or both will have moved.

My postulate is that time is elastic (dilation) that this may be the mechanism that allows energy to be transmitted through a vacuum - it is a change, or differential from ‘local’ time.

The treacle thing was simply an analogy to indicate that it’s not some ethereal force.

You need a lot of energy to change the relative time between objects. When we talk about space being empty it isn’t because there’s time differences between stuff and that’s how energy propagates through space - it’s simply a wave where the time is different to the existing local time that it passes through.

Maybe this links to entropy. You cannot change the energy of anything (kinetic, nuclear etc) without involving time (‘passing through time’ I think someone here posted a while back) and perhaps this is why the universe is expanding - all this energy that’s is dissipating through physical processes is actually producing time - it’s not some human creation, but an emergent property of energy. We talk about the universe expanding as if it’s a distance thing, but it’s better to view it as a time thing. If you produce or create time, you push things apart (local gravitational effects notwithstanding).

(The standard meter for measuring time between objects is the speed of light. We talk about mm or other close distances in terms of distance, but it’s all actually how long it takes light to travel that distance. We use LY for very large distances because it’s convenient.)

Last edited:
I'll mull that over Bonsai. I like Blue Sky thinking.

I always have a great time reading mathematician John Baez.

Thing about good mathematicians is they have huge imagination. I mentioned Felix Klein too. It seems like that to understand a problem, you need to change your point of view.

Then you can spot what is CONSERVED. Emmy Noether spotted that where there is a symmetry, there is a conservation law.

Here's a piece of mathematics from a higher point of view, it's about elliptical orbits with planets but viewed in 4 dimensions.

Planets in the Fourth Dimension | Azimuth

It might relate to Bonsai's ideas about time as being a bit flexable. But all conics are really the same. Not separate problems. Seen one, you seen 'em all. Way beyond my level. :confused:

Attachments

• Conics.JPG
    Conics.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 280
Cool - I read it again, exchanged time for change - it worked. Dont know if it made an improvement... When you move a physical thing 90 deg. to the gravity, no work is done!?

//

No, even in a theoretical universe work is added to initiate movement.
You'd need energy to begin the motion and you'd have to absorb the energy to stop the motion. Then you'd have losses from non-perfect motors, friction and losses in regards to power transfer and the same losses for stopping. Maybe you could get about 74% of the energy back, if using ideal circumstances and top notch modern technology. Doesn't add up IRL.

Entropy is an emergent property, isn't it. At an atomic scale things are reversable.

I have been pondering Bonsai's notion of time. In the Baez article he says this:

What’s this fourth dimension I’m talking about here? It’s a lot like time. But it’s not exactly time. It’s the difference between ordinary time and another sort of time, which flows at a rate inversely proportional to the distance between the planet and the sun.

Might be a different way of saying the same thing. :)

A little more on symmetry. Baez' current wheeze is the Tenfold way. It is based on the idea that particles behave differently under Charge and Time reversal along with a plus or minus overall property called S. So the Universe has 10 types of matter under CTS.

The Tenfold Way | Azimuth

tenfold

Interestingly related to 10 Clifford algebras within R,C and H. Real, Complex and the exotic 4D Quaternions. The quaternions don't commute, so hint at quantum theory. Cool. He has reduced the particle Universe to 3 variables. :cool:

Though it looks like my beloved 8D Octonions are redundant. Another theory dashed. :D

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I dont understand the ‘different type of time’ thing. I imagine matter and energy interact within this thing we call time (lets call it a ‘time field’) in different ways, but the end result is still the same - you perturb the field and as a result you transmit energy through the time field.

If you move an electron from one energy band to another, it emits a photon which propagates out in the time field where it can repeat the process by causing an electron in a receiving atom to change energy levels, then fall back to its original level, emitting another photon and maybe this process has take place across BLY - think about a photon striking a telescope mirror from a distant galaxy or it takes place with two atoms next to each other in a lump of metal. If two neutrino stars merge, they cause a massive time perturbation and BLY later we can measure it with LIGO. The energy transmission mechanism is the same.

I have wondered if there is not an explanation for gravity buried in there as well. You have all this matter in an object with atoms exchanging photons. With each interaction you perturb the time field and the perturbations add up stochastically and you end up warping time around the object and that’s what gravity is - the localized time around an object is warped with a gradient that gets steeper (stronger) the closer you get to the centre of the body. If you subject an object to a change in time wrt its surroundings, it experiences acceleration which we perceive as mass, or weight standing on the Earth.

There are good grounds for thinking all in the Universe is gravity. The RHIC Fireball got me excited. :)

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Lab fireball 'may be black hole'

I used to hang around with a Physicist called Simon Jones. Could explain Dirac's theory of the anti-electron on the back of a beermat in 4 lines. Employing Matrices as it goes.

What was exceptional about Simon was his courage. His post-Doc thesis at Birkbeck was on the subject of Time. He studied under David Bohm - Wikipedia.

But Time is deeply complex stuff. Personally, I have no idea what is going on. :eek:

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have a book by Daniel Fleisch who is a teaching academic at a US university and it’s just about Maxwell’s equations. Each is discussed in depth and explained in detail so that when you look at the equations you know what each term stands for and how to use it (not that I do beyond the very basics).

Near the front of the book he addresses the question that apparently many students ask and that is what is an EM wave, or what is electromagnetism. His answer is ‘we don’t know. It’s a deeply philosophical question’ (he uses the word philosophical).

It seems strange to me that we can write down 4 sets of equations that exquisitely describe the behavior of a fundamental force of nature and yet we don’t actually know what it is. And it’s a similar answer elsewhere. I went onto physics.org (I think that was the site) and someone asked that question and a physicist (PhD from Cambridge) answered by quoting the equations but the person asking simply pushed and after a few interactions the physicist gave the same answer as Daniel Fleisch ‘we don’t know’.

Here is the book: A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations (Student's Guides): Amazon.co.uk: Fleisch, Daniel: 8601404586361: Books

Last edited:
Page and Wooters showed that the way a pair of entangled particles evolve provides a kind of clock that can be used to measure change. Time is therefore claimed to be an 'emergent' quantity because it 'emerges' from entanglement.

Firstly, their idea suggests that time exists for only observers inside the universe, thus explaining why they can see the universe changing.

Secondly, and on the other hand, their idea suggests that a god-like observer outside the universe would just see a static, unchanging universe.

Till now, the prospect of finding an observer outside of the universe to test the idea seemed impossible. However scientists have produced a toy universe consisting of a pair of entangled photons which can be observed both from within and from without.

In consequence, both of Page and Wooters' contradictory suggestions have now been demonstrated to hold water experimentally.

Entangled toy universe shows time may be an illusion | New Scientist

Last edited:
Right, that goes without saying.

Gravity is a conservative force, meaning that the same amount of work is done moving between any two points in the field regardless of what path is taken.

The work done depends only on the vertical distance between the points A and B as indicated by ∆h in the attached diagram.

Attachments

• Conservative Force.png
    Conservative Force.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 52
Status
Not open for further replies.