What is The Meaning of Life?

I am not religious, but there is a book called: "Further Along the Road Less Traveled".
In the book, the author (in quite a matter of fact way) states that there can come a point in life
where a person can/should pick a religion for the sake of communal/group strength & resilience.
He sort of states this without necessarily believing in a GRAND OVERSEEING & CARING ENTITY.
My response to this is > Be very thoughtful about what religion you choose!
( I guess that this is all about - not going it alone )

Last edited:
( I have wondered about posting this ... but now think - 'what the heck' )

THE OBVIOUS PROBLEM WITH ASTROLOGY

Astrologers claim to be able to know all sorts of information about you're life & details.
They base all this ( planets and moons rising and ascending ) on your exact moment of birth. IE. first breath.
The obvious problem of all this is THE FACT that life begins at the moment of conception !
This not only gives a problem of 9 MONTHS, but also negates any exact details of timing.

Astrology is farcical and Pseudo Science !

PS.
I totally believe in Womans Rights.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Sorry, but I think that "What is The Meaning of Life?" is asked as a personal question to each of us.
To reply with what others think or say is as useful as being told what food, music or person to like in my view.

How can a person in the first world, who may spend more in a week on designer pet food or personal cosmetics, than a third world family might have to spend on their upkeep for a month, ever understand what "the meaning of life" means for them, or vice versa?

For the former, it may be, paying the mortgage on a 300+K property, the latest "I" phone or staying in a job to get health insurance, for the latter it could be simply existing, or paying the $1 per week to allow ones child to go to school and thus lift themselves from the life that the parents have known, health care is an dream.
Even so, in all of those spheres there will be different nuances due to our own circumstances, and those will be, to the individual no less important and life transformational.

In reality these things are often aspirational, they are what “life” may mean or consist of to the individual, but is this “The meaning of life”? I’d say not, (though to them at the time it may be).

To me it’s the ability to change, to evolve, to see the bigger picture, and act upon that, no matter whether it affects us adversely or not on a personal level.

This view is no more right or wrong than any other, but it’s MY view, I have thought about it, and try (however badly) to abide by it.

Is there a religion that doesn't have woo and magic at its core?
I think, and am almost sure that there are millions upon millions of Christians that don't believe all the Details & Dogma.
They are Christians for/from upbringings, family, a social group dynamic and even IMAGE. They probably don't even pray.
Re PRAYER >
In the end analysis, 'the power of prayer' likely only exists from the possibility of 'positive affirmation' reaching the Subconscious Mind.

Christianity is 100% magic and woo, no matter how you slice it.

When I was a young lad, I started asking the hard questions. The answer from the priests to every single question was "It's a mystery" or You Must buh -LEEEEEEEEEVE." This was done with a dismissive attitude, because questions are the Devil.

Sorry, no sale.

All of the rest of life on Earth is dutifully going about its stay alive or don't adventure as we post, living in the moment, eating or being eaten, reproducing, living and finally dying without needing to post about what it means. Meanwhile we homo sapiens sapiens, through a series of evolutionary quirks ended up with the big brain. It has been both useful, for climbing to the top of Earth's life pyramid; and costly as we ask these silly questions that not only are unanswerable, but meaningless. In that millisecond as you turn in your key and check out of Hotel Earth it will become crystal clear (fade to black).

Reactions: 1 users
Life has the meaning that you assign it. My life has changed so much in the last 10 years or so. I went from a state of anxiety and desperation over the fact that I had been permanently purged from the rolls of the gainfully employed, to doing all the things I was told I could never do. Obviously the "right" way of doing things wasn't working for me any more, yet I still tried to do things the way I was taught; the way it was expected of me by people that hat been telling me "You can't do this, you can't do that, you can't can't can't" for my whole life. I simply had no opportunity to do it that way any more. I was too old to re-enter the workspace (I didn't think so but over 50 is too old in this society) and so a big chunk of my identity and self esteem was gone forever.

I still had a lot of energy, a lot of ideas, and a lot of ambition. I started building the hi-fi equipment I was told I could never build (even though I had successfully done it in high school! And I listened to those eggheads!), and started running in creative circles with artistic, successful, brilliant people. These people found my talents useful and by working with them I was able to restore my self esteem, rejuvenate my energy, and give new meaning to my life. Now I'm working with DJs, helping them understand audio equipment, helping them purchase and repair equipment, and now they want me to build stuff for them. This just happened naturally; not like looking for a job. This is literally my life's dream from when I was 16 years old!

All I did was do what I do best. My biggest regret is that I listened to the naysayers and Debbie Downers in the first place. If that isn't giving meaning to my life, then my life has no meaning.

Reactions: 1 user
There is nothing wrong with asking difficult questions and in fact is a sign of higher intelligence.
The problem remains that human kind is constantly evolving, perfecting its current understanding
and at the same time, obviously because of it, not being able to give perfect answers.

Perfection was never a "goal" of evolution; propagation of the species is what drives evolution.

Look at the state of society and human relations today. It's full of angst and loathing, prejudice, violence, etc. Pretty far from what our minds would conceive of as "perfect" wouldn't you say? Look at the relations between the sexes; "can't live with em and can't live without em" is all I'll say.

Yet, despite the frustrations and annoyances of so-called "domestic bliss" we are, as a species, quite successful at propagating the species. For "Spinoza's God" this is all that's necessary for meaning.

I 100% agree with Kevin! Life is for reproduction of your species, but all individuals won't do even that, be it miscarriage, accident or "ethics".

Sadly we humans have too large brains and memory capacity so that leaves space to thinking eg. "meaning of life".
I must state at the outset that > Scientology is bogus and now nothing more than a Real Estate scam.
However,
the old and controversial book DIANETICS that preceded Scientology is very interesting.
It postulates that there are FIVE basic dynamics of Life & Living.
Procreation is one of them. It also states that having a 'block/imbalance' of 1or more of these dynamics
leads to things that are considered to be problems in life/living.
In my opinion > HIGHLY RECOMENDED READING :)