What is The Meaning of Life?

Anecdotally this seems to be true.

I know people that planned their families, and typically had only one child, and had that child in their thirties after they bought a house and banked some money. On the other hand, I have known some people that had babies with multiple partners etc when they couldn't even take care of themselves. This seemed to be associated with social class.

I had solid criteria in place before I was going to allow myself to become a parent. This criteria revolved around finances, owning a home, and being married. By the time I was even close to my criteria I was over 40. And ten years later I no longer met two of the three criteria.

Becoming a parent over 40 doesn't seem like a good plan to me. Does this make me smart, or stupid? I say stupid because if you're going to have kids, you best do it while you're young.
Actually there's something to do with the length of telomeres that means the children of older fathers and grandfathers live longer. But chasing after kids takes a lot of energy.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
"Doctor, you mentioned the ratio of ten women to each man. Now, wouldn't that necessitate the abandonment of the so called monogamous sexual relationship, I mean, as far as men were concerned?"
"Regrettably, yes. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious... service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature"

Joined 2007
Paid Member
A man climbed a mountain in search of the legendary Monk of the Moon, said to be the wisest man to ever live...

The man explored the mountainside until he found the monk's Cave. "Oh, great Monk of the Moon, what is the meaning of life?"

The monk turned around and lowered his pants. A voice came from his rear end. "One day, your life will end. What you do with that knowledge determines your life's meaning."

The man scowled and said, "What is this, some kind of wisecrack?"

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Having never studied genetics, philosophy or phycology, my ideas on this may be seen as sum what parochial but having said all that, I’d like to say.
As we have no influence over when or where we are born, be it as a king, a porper, lion or worm, that some of us are blessed, in this time, in this place (wherever that may be), is pure happenstance. We are not initially, as a right ‘worthy’ of anything, we are just ‘Here’. So my view, is to take this wonderful gift that we have been given, and even if initially unworthy of it, enjoy our oh so fleeting time, to do no others harm, where possible to help, and leave this place better than when we joined it, for those that may come after. And in that way, would have been worthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Meaning of life?

Once, when the sun ceases to bring warmth and light and our sun system collapses all traces of man will be wiped out and even the remembrance of mankind will be forgotten.

Oh, the Voyager satellites are still cruising? Only until they collide with some meteorite.

maxresdefault(3).jpg

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Somewhere inbetween the idea of nothingness (us being a bunch of cells among other bunches of cells, thus just as (un-)important as a blade of grass or a planet, or being one of this one exceptional species capable of utter destruction of its habitat (while by far not the only capable to create/develop/enhance it)

Reactions: 1 user
Not that we are unimportant but time will eat all up.

Before this happens maybe we will find out the answer to the question of all questions:

Why there is anything at all and not nothing?

Physicians are the only ones still searching about it.

Religions give cheap uniformed answers pretending having solved anything around it. That's uninspiring and boring.

Oh I know, Douglas Adam's answer "42" is it.