What did you last repair?

Silly people.
Could have located it at the right place.
Or put an elbow, with a drain plug.
Broken hose means seized engine.

On Bajaj bikes, you could change oil seals on the kick shaft from the outside, and kick start with clutch open.
On similar sized Honda licensed bikes, the oil seal change needs an engine strip down, and you can't kick start with open clutch, need to have it in neutral and closed clutch.
Now mostly electric start, kick is for when the battery fails.

By open clutch, I mean clutch plates separated, closed means touching and sending power.

It takes all kinds....

If you are curious, an Indian company makes more bikes than Honda, they are world wide No. 1 in bike sales.
And Bajaj used to sell 900,000 bikes annually of their Platina model, while their technical collaborator Kawasaki did a total of 400,000 in Japan from many many models.

Last edited:
I am a Man who tries to co-exist with my neighbours. But, frankly, relentless Snails and Slugs test my Gardening Patience! :mad:

My latest scheme...

Strawberries.jpg

I have put the tasty Strawberries up on legs. Any attacks will meet a bottleneck IMO. We will deal with it. :D

I am a Man who tries to co-exist with my neighbours. But, frankly, relentless Snails and Slugs test my Gardening Patience! :mad:

My latest scheme...

View attachment 1044855

I have put the tasty Strawberries up on legs. Any attacks will meet a bottleneck IMO. We will deal with it. :D
GRRRR!
You just HAD to remind me about GARDEN stuff, didn't you!
I've got to get my rear up and yank the weeds that are trying to take over my front garden area.
Before the perrenials start their yearly growing, which would then make the job more difficult.

garden2012-2.JPG

My latest scheme...

View attachment 1044855

Sprinkle some diatomaceous earth around on the cobblestone, it’s like broken glass to them little suckers!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I just fixed my Thumper Equine. In fact better than new. The main rubber cushion attached to the end of the rod that causes movement of the pad was crumbled. I always thought..'this is for a horse and I wish it still hit harder'. So I found a rubber grommet made for the struts that connect upper and lower control arms on a car's front end in my junk box. Exactly the same dia. with correct hole, just a bit too fat. So I sliced off the excess, popped it in and voila! The rubber is way stiffer. Now it hits way harder. Don't know why they figured a 'horse' would not appreciate it when I do. I have restless leg syndrome and leg cramps also. This thing is now awsome. :spin:

Last edited:
Few days ago the micro USB connector suddenly came off the portable bluray player, and soldering those tight pitched legs was not the most easy thing, my finest needle soldering tip looked huge in comparison to the USB legs under the improvised magnifying glass made up of my mobile phone with the camera set in macro position, which btw actually worked great provided there's enough working light (see the magnified USB connector centered in the mobile display compared to how tiny it is on the PCB in the background), but it took a couple of rounds of soldering before I got it to work, a bit nerve wrecking as the the plastics on the USB connectors started to melt a bit.

Mobile magnifying glass.jpg

A customer had trouble wit ha model railway DCC shuttle control unit.
Kept blowing up motor driver IC's.
So had a look at the circuit and it lacked some decoupling of the motor IC so fixed that.
I tested the over current detect and that didn't work.
The over current circuit worked fine outputting a 1 when over current occurred.
So had a look at the software.
The data output routine returned with a 1 if over current occurred.
However the main loop didn't act on it allowing a short circuit to eventually blow up motor IC.
Just one line of code to fix it.
All sorted now.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve always thought that short circuit protection should be hard-wired. Personally, I like VI limiters, because the require nothing more that the current through the output transistors to operate. By the time you wait for a computer to tell you that something is overloaded, it may already be burnt up. If the circuitry activates for a period of time without the fault clearing, then have the computer shut it down entirely.

Electronic protection circuitry can respond much, much faster than any fuse. Plus there's confusion about replacement fuses among the public - slow blow etc.

When you fuse the output stage of a power amplifier, it's the transistor that protects the fuse. A basic electronic protection circuit for an output stage is simple and very effective. That's why it's so common to see them.

I typically use a fuse on the DC line of a circuit board. It works in conjunction with a diode that will conduct it the power is hooked up backwards. You have to size the diode so the fuse blows first. This is one application where a fuse is the simplest and best solution.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I have a Harman Kardon HK6500 integrated amp and I really love it (listening to it right now).

It has no fuse. It does have a small length of fine fine magnet wire used as the first turn of primary in the mains power transformer.

Back in the 80's someone was abusing it at a house party (I was not in attendance) when it suddenly stopped working. The mains input was open.

The local shop where it was purchased graciously replaced the transformer for free but not without a parental lecture about proper use of stereo equipment.

Electronic protection circuitry can respond much, much faster than any fuse. Plus there's confusion about replacement fuses among the public - slow blow etc.
Can but doesn't in most cases - Look at how fast a fuse blows vs an FPE breaker when you short the outlet! The last time I accidentally shorted the outlet, the fuse let go without even a spark.
I know modern electronic/magnetic breakers exist and work well, but compared to a thermal breaker, a fuse is much faster.

Can but doesn't in most cases - Look at how fast a fuse blows vs an FPE breaker when you short the outlet! The last time I accidentally shorted the outlet, the fuse let go without even a spark.
I know modern electronic/magnetic breakers exist and work well, but compared to a thermal breaker, a fuse is much faster.

Oops. I'm talking about electronic circuitry.

I agree with you about fuses vs breakers. But fuses can be easily bypassed by the public to "fix" a circuit that chronically blows the fuse.

Very true. When I was a kid, all the circuits in the house had 20A fuses even though they should have been 15A...
Just look at how you used to be able to (and still can in places) just put a larger value fuse in? Once, a contractor tried to use his saw in the garage (100 foot run of #14 from the panel) and it blew the fuse. We just put in a 30A fuse for the time he needed the saw to work! I'm older and know better now, but short overloading is probably not going to start a fire anyway - it's that prolonged current that heats everything up right :)

As far as electronics go, Littelfuse makes picofuses that are very fast acting and available as low as 65mA...