What Class-D amp give best sound?

Do you know IRAUDAMP7s?
It is based on IRS2092.

It is a bit more expensive, than TPA3116/3118, but seems to be a better quality amp, based on reviews.

Mine is the Sure 2x250w, I believe it is based on the IRAUDAMP7s.

Yes IRS2092-based amps perform better with lower distortion rates and more bass extension. By cons to listening in a living room, the TPA311X are more musical and warm. I use an IRS2092 amp in the bass only, and this far in this much higher area

My 2 1/2 Cent:
I have a pair of very nice Class A mono amps, that sound very good, my personal reverence amps. Since I compared them to another D-amp, I do not use them any more. They sound just identical to the D-amp, but use about 300 watt at idle. The D-amps use about 4 watt in the same situation. I have a personal problem with wasting energy for nothing, so I do not like to use my favorite amps any more, just because of the unnecessary power consumption that makes me feel bad.

It's not really a waste, as all of that energy goes into making heat and you get pretty good room heaters. The bad part is all of that heat eventually takes its toll on the components in the amplifier. Class A is always about minimizing self-destruction, and even the most massive configurations that can only be moved with a hand cart still do fail over time from the heat.

I recently bought two TPA3255 made up PCBs from China.
the first was from Yuan Jing and i thot it was somesort of premium assembly.
a bit later i bought another via Lazada in Malaysia.
I gave one away to a good friend.
They were identical in every way - as far as i can see all the components were the same.
i bought a meanwell 600W, 48v PSU locally - paid way too much for it, more than the 2 amps !.
In any case they sounded excellent.
I use one in a semi active drive of modified NS1000 spkrs handling the HighPass
so it drives the Yam midrange and tweets via a simple passive XO.
(Low Pass to Nak PA7 directly to Scanspeak woofers ).

I have used one to power stock standard NS1000.
In both situations they really sound good.
( perhps not quite the juice to power the Scanspeak woofers which are inefficient - i have considered getting pair of monoblok 3255 from 3e but for now the Nak does a good job)

I have just ordered a TPA 3250 via Lazada . This comes with its own PSU as only 24V are needed. 30 wpc into 8R is what I need for another active project.

I think these newer gen TPAs are really good - i dont want to change any of the components as most are tiny.
Gonna get rid of some vintage amps that are getting difficult to maintain in working order.
The mind boggles how good the future 33XX and 34XX will be.
my 2 cents worth

Last edited:
This is maybe not the place for own designs, I have own place gere, but not yet updated, but maybe it is nice to see.

Mine go to start soon, I make now a pcb and search a good idea for protections special OCP.

It is based on slide technology with current feedback and postvoltage feedback with hysteric comparator, to get that right is a long simulation effort.

pic,s is specs, however how this will sound, time will learn after build, I use low components count, and the amp is three level means carrier is 700 Khz because is multiplied on the end..

regards.

Attachments

• lowhd.jpg
    lowhd.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 764
  • square-10Khz-fasterfeedback.jpg
    square-10Khz-fasterfeedback.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 739
Last edited:
Just built a super low profile 100W Class D amp in a 1U smart ash black rack mount. Single 36V rail and power filter with 19,000uf of filter caps. Uses a single stereo modules about credit card size. Very happy with the sound will do over 70W into 8. Based on the TDA7498 chip.

Attachments

• F25534C6-6957-4F88-A819-43145ECE9041.jpeg
    F25534C6-6957-4F88-A819-43145ECE9041.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 1,378
  • 0D8C9FE5-615F-4E07-9FE4-279B82D03EDD.jpeg
    0D8C9FE5-615F-4E07-9FE4-279B82D03EDD.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,577
  • 2C5BC523-A4D4-4270-BDCD-C768C8709E4C.jpeg
    2C5BC523-A4D4-4270-BDCD-C768C8709E4C.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,473
Mhouston, I want to give a tip about cap placement regarding class D. The impedance of 10cm of wire is really high at 3-400kHz. That cap bank is not able to work the best with such thin cables and beeing placed so far away. In class D design the caps should be placed millimeters from the demand. Look at Gmarsh's Wiener tpa3116 thread to learn about class D placement designs. Its very informative. If you made your design deliberately to avoid cap bank oscillation disregard this post.

Mhouston, I want to give a tip about cap placement regarding class D. The impedance of 10cm of wire is really high at 3-400kHz. That cap bank is not able to work the best with such thin cables and beeing placed so far away. In class D design the caps should be placed millimeters from the demand. Look at Gmarsh's Wiener tpa3116 thread to learn about class D placement designs. Its very informative. If you made your design deliberately to avoid cap bank oscillation disregard this post.

While I will agree the power wiring does seem a bit light, I do wonder if you missed the large bulk capacitor on the amp board itself. The supply will be operating at 60hz and outputting DC to the board.

Hello and sorry if this question is posted in the wrong place.

Has anyone had an experience with classdaudio.com's amps?

TIA,
JM
I'm using classdaudio's sds-250 at the moment. I bought it more than 5 years ago, back then powered it using 300W smps at about +-48v, it sounded OK, but was dull and lifeless, the bass easily lost control. I used for about half a year then replaced with something else.

Couple weeks ago, out of curiosity, I want to try it again, this time I'm using linear PS +-50v, it sounds really good! I use a 600VA toroidal, CRCRC total 48000uf, the last C are (one each for + and -) 15000uf, big Philips screw top caps have very high ripple current capability. The preamp is Korg Nutube B1 bought here in diyaudio store

Now the amp sounds really nice, a bit warm, very powerful, the bass is well controlled. It might lack some very fine details, and feel mostly 2D rather 3D sound stage.

A high quality power supply is very important, also I'm using SE input but read that balanced input may sound even better.

@albrerta I agree that a good input can make an amazing difference to the sound. I was using the DAC in my DX160 as an input for my TPA3255, the quality was amazing but it was slightly to clinical. I then got a Khadas Tone Board DAC and my amp really came alive. With the Khadas it still had all the quality but added warmth, it sounded more analog. I’m not sure a balanced input would improve a system noticeably if it had no audible hissing or interference.