What are you drinking?

Yup, Lagavulin is one of my favorites also.

Laphroig is another peaty favorite of mine. :)

Difficult to go wrong with a 10 years Talisker. But most shops around here have dropped it to carry instead the no age "storm". A pity.

In the peaty but smooth category, I've yet to taste something more to my taste than the Caol Ila distiller's edition.

I do like Laphroig, but sadly it's not quite Talisker or Lagavuliin. I also like Caol Ila, but it too is getting pricey. I wonder if some of the price is due to COVID - I seem to recall I heard something about scotch prices increasing.

Followed by a drop of Lagavulin:)

Attachments

• whisky.jpg
    whisky.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 132
:eek: But you're not THAT much older than I am.

The inflation of wine and spirits prices was dramatic starting in 1980 or so. I've been called mistaken or a liar several times and I've learned to just brush it off. 1966 Chateaux Lafite was $16.99 at Marty's in Brighton in 1977, look up the current price of a 10+ yr. old good vintage.

EDIT - Another change is the reduction in price variability with vintage (climate + technology). The 1972 vintage was bad and many wines never saw the shelves, Pichon LaLande was sold here at $40 a case and I used it as cooking wine.

Last edited:
I remember when it was $18 a bottle. :)

Around here the 10 year old Talisker is over C$90 per bottle now. It used to be one of the better bargains. For that matter the blended Scotch from Skye, Tea Bheag nan Iellen, used to be one of the few treats available in Nova Scotia but seldom seen elsewhere, and at a decent price. Now it's over $40/bottle. Still my fave to take salmon fishing in October. (Maybe next week...)

Now I'm more into the classic Highland whiskeys, not as peaty as the west coast malts, nor as romantic as the Speyside malts, but good value and quality. One can usually find one on sale, I just finished a bottle of Auchentoshan 12 year old that was very nice.

Last edited:
The inflation of wine and spirits prices was dramatic starting in 1980 or so. I've been called mistaken or a liar several times and I've learned to just brush it off. 1966 Chateaux Lafite was $16.99 at Marty's in Brighton in 1977, look up the current price of a 10+ yr. old good vintage.

EDIT - Another change is the reduction in price variability with vintage (climate + technology). The 1972 vintage was bad and many wines never saw the shelves, Pichon LaLande was sold here at $40 a case and I used it as cooking wine.

Pichon LaLande as cooking wine! Now that's crazy/funny/cool. I wasn't of age until roughly 1980 and was most definitely not yet into nice/fabulous wines. Sad. $17 for a Chateau Lafite??? That's nearly 2 orders of magnitude lower in price for some vintages (if you're talking Rothschild)!

An historical note -- at the time of the American Revolution the British Navy served rum twice a day and the French wine. The French also served watered, poor quality rum (tafia) during the day. The French also baked fresh bread every day while the Brits served their sailors "hard tack" (avec weevils -- if you've ever read the Hornblower novels).

Before the Battle of Yorktown, a French sailor working in the bakery got his noggin of tafia too close to the oven and started a catastrophic fire which eventually lead to the explosion of the magazine and loss of the vessel.