What are you drinking?

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Trying to do sober October here guys. You're killing me :bawling:

Your in the wrong thread then :D I actually was on track for that too (though it just sort of happened, wasn't planned), but on Friday I just fet like a scotch, and had some Talisker. Have been meaning to get a bottle of Lagavulin for a while.

Tonight I'm drinking pomegranate juice :)

Tony.

Welmoed Sauvignon Blanc 2019 is written dry, carbohydrates 0.2 g per 100 g. it turns out 2 grams per liter. But too sweet against the background of Moldovan sauvignon aged in barrels. Welmoed Sauvignon Blanc 2017 was also sold there, it is already written that carbohydrates are 0.3 g per 100 g. It tastes not dry at all. It's like our semi-sweet Riesling. The smell is weak, the taste is good, but sweet.
2019 Welmoed Sauvignon Blanc | Wine Info
From the South African wine, while I am impressed by the Barista Pinotage, nothing else.

Tomorrow I'll have to buy French for comparison, I'm sure it will be completely dry-sourish, as I'm used to and love dry wines.

Last edited:
I prefer the 12 and don't think scotch or rum benefit from decades in cask, MHO of course.

Old Pulteney 21 won whisky of the year award some years ago, and I can attest that it is very good. I was at the distillery with a friend and we tasted the 12, 15, and 21 year olds. They are very different and aged in different types of casks (bourbon, fino sherry, and oloroso sherry respectively).

Re: rum, I will say I have had El Dorado 5, 8, 12, 15, and 21 year old blends (this is an Angostura rum). As well as aging they are distilled in different stills. They are dramatically different, though admittedly with diminishing returns. The 21 is like a fine cognac, the 5 is good in rum punch. :)

Edit: rereading your post I don't think you were saying what I took from it. In general I agree that aging beyond about 20 years doesn't add much. Between 5 and 12 years is where you see the biggest improvement, I have no idea why.

Last edited:
Re: rum, I will say I have had El Dorado 5, 8, 12, 15, and 21 year old blends (this is an Angostura rum). As well as aging they are distilled in different stills. They are dramatically different, though admittedly with diminishing returns. The 21 is like a fine cognac, the 5 is good in rum punch. :)

El Dorado rums are distilled in Guyana by DDL (Demerarra Distillers Limited).
Each aged rum has base distillate from the column stills and a mix from their historic heritage stills (plenty of info on the net).
It's better to find the independent bottlers of the Demerara rums due to the fact DDL 'dose' their rums with sugar/molasses post distillation.

Angostura rums are distilled in Trinidad (seperate company/distiller).

Hi Leadbelly, I asked because another Canadian wrote it was 90 which seemed a bit steep to me.

Of course. Liquor falls under provincial jurisdiction, not national, so what you can buy and how much tax is on it is local.

I used to buy a lot of liquor as gifts because prices are so much lower where I live than where my brother's family lives. I have a few single malts unopened with dust on them, were gifts or duty free purchases probably: Glenfiddich SR 12, Oban 14, Glenmorangie 10 and a Cul na Creagan blended 21, whatever that is. Working on a Slieve Foy single malt Irish 8.

Canada booze price, is it a tax thing? Talisker 10 y here costs 54 can dollar and it is popular in bars.

Yes we do have high sin taxes here, as someone else pointed out, but that doesn't account for how Talisker went from low-midrange among single malts, to the next tier. Some years ago it jumped in price here relative to its competition. I can only assume that some importer/distributor decided to "reposition" it relative to the market.

We do sometimes suffer at the hands of distributors who havel local monopolies. A few years ago suddenly we could not buy Noilly Prat dry vermouth, leaving only Martini on the shelves, which ironically makes a worse martini. A distributor had dropped it and it became unobtanium in eastern Canada for about 5 years. It's back now though with limited distribution, and at least some alternatives became available, some good some bad.

Wine La Fleur Amour Réserve Sauvignon Blanc 2018, apparently, is already at its peak thanks to the straw color and tones of sherry in the taste. But it's still great, especially against the background of Sauvignon Blanc from South Africa and Moldova. Very clean, without extraneous flavors of oak, balanced in acidity, dry, pear and sherry to taste, with a slight bitterness of grapefruit. Unlike the poisonous apple seeds and sugary residual sugar in South African Sauvignon Blanc. Moldova, by the way, was not bad in terms of balance, but the smell of oak in such a fine wine is clearly not needed.
2017 La Fleur Amour Reserve Sauvignon Blanc | Wine Info
Alma Cersius

Last edited: