What are you drinking?

Very true SW, however longer ago than most remember. For the sake of absolute accuracy I probably should have said, "one of the first."

About 30 years ago Marty and I enjoyed the ~1935 Martin Ray Estate Cabernet Sauvignon with dinner at Martin Ray's house, now Mount Eden Vineyards. It was unbelievably delicious! For it to have held up the way it did all those years is a testament to all that Martin Ray learned from Paul Masson and his uncompromising attitude toward winemaking. The property is a couple of miles up the road from Kathryn Kennedy Winery. It's too bad the current MR wines have nothing to do with the original history.

Mania Rueda Verdejo 26.09.2017
I decided to compare the same wine bottled a year earlier.
It is interesting that it was also poured on the 26th, but already in September. Harvest of 2016, so the process took a whole year? By the way, the wine is less interesting than the 2017 harvest. Apparently they should be drunk as fresh as possible.
Bodegas Felix Lorenzo Cachazo Mania Verdejo 2016 | Wine Info

Oddly enough, of all alcoholic beverages, I like beer. Now there are many interesting beer varieties. I love the products of the ROGUE brewery. Especially DeadGuy beer

Lots of interesting Flandre region beers :D

CH'TI - great beer
La Goudale - 8% another great beer
Leffe Rituel - 9% a strong beer compared to Leffe's normal 6.6% blonde
Trois Monts - a decent beer
Duval - another decent beer, drier but good.

Guulden Drak is a darker beer, but at 10% it's a little heavy for me.

Also from the Wales UK - there's a couple of decent beers out there's Double Dragon is a favourite.

Germany's Paulaner - not the normal stuff but the Oktoberfest beer is great :)

Mania Rueda Verdejo 26.09.2017
I decided to compare the same wine bottled a year earlier.
It is interesting that it was also poured on the 26th, but already in September. Harvest of 2016, so the process took a whole year? By the way, the wine is less interesting than the 2017 harvest. Apparently they should be drunk as fresh as possible.
Bodegas Felix Lorenzo Cachazo Mania Verdejo 2016 | Wine Info

Sounds like the French "Beaujolais nouveau" (new growth). All this is wine that has been fermented for a few weeks that hasn't been cellared and should be drunk immediately. Most areas of France have a 'new growth' but it seems only the Beaujolais region got an export on it!

Mania Rueda Verdejo is prepared with yeast lees. It's not very sour, but dry and so sophisticated and delicious. Yesterday I received a batch of this 2017 wine for myself. Now I know exactly how it develops in a bottle throughout the year. And 2017 in Rueda was very successful for Verdejo.
I like very sour wines and Beaujolais Nouveau is one of my favorites. They are produced using carbon dioxide maceration technology, in which grapes are poured with highly fermented wine of the same variety, all under an atmosphere of carbon dioxide, to protect the grapes from oxidation. Then, when the berries are also fermented in this mixture, they are squeezed together again and fermented until the end of the process.
Haut-Marin Amande Colombard - Sauvignon 2019 is very good, fresh and sour and also has a yeast flavor. I have never tasted a single Gascon wine before.

Last edited:
Kuban wine, Anapa, Vysoky Bereg (High Coast) Riesling 2019 https://avatars.mds.yandex.net/get-...0537d74ca_5f0962420f9fc706e95be79c/scale_1200
This is the 2019 dry Riesling. The wine is interesting compared to the semi-dry Riesling from Fanagoria from the same Black Sea region and the 2015 Riesling from Alsaz, which I also tried for a long time. Riesling High Coast, the most unpopular and, but probably the most interesting. Although it does not have the aroma of honey, peaches and other things, which may be liked by many. It is also interesting to compare it with the Spanish Mania Rueda Verdejo and the French Haut-Marin Amande Colombard - Sauvignon 2019.
Verdejo has beer tones and is slightly heavier. And French wine is very acidic and very refined. Perhaps this is the most delicious wine. And by the way, this is the third wine that I liked the most, and they were all from France.

We now have a pinot noir from Moldova aged in a barrel and at a good discount, I will buy it the other day.
https://avatars.mds.yandex.net/get-...5805a821e_5c480a326305a900addcbdfb/scale_1200
"Pinot Noir" is a mean girl who can **** off winegrowers, winemakers and wine lovers alike. She will whirl you in a terrible dance, waiting for the most persistent, but stubbornly not succumbing to taming. " (Jancis Robinson).
Sommelier Inna Shangina warned us about the non-standard aromas of Pinot Noir: “Don't be surprised if instead of the usual black currants and cherries, you smell horse sweat, earth and socks after training. Pinot noir is famous for its "animal" nuances, which, at times, can scare away. But that's Pinot noir. "Although winemakers say that" God created Cabernet Sauvignon, and the Devil created Pinot Noir "(hinting at how difficult it is to care for a pampered variety), sommeliers and connoisseurs from all over the world love this wine for its unique multifaceted taste.

But in general, I like the band that way. Dream Academy - "Indian Summer" (Official Music Video) - YouTube
I really love Simon Phillips too, he plays jazz and jazz-rock and pop music very versatile and everything is excellent and interesting.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Our elderberries are ready. A bit past ready, if I am honest. Plenty fell in the recent high winds. However, there are still plenty left for a gallon batch of wine - so tomorrow I am going to try to make it happen! It has been almost a decade since I have made wine. I hope I have everything I need.