What are you drinking?

Sucess!!! After soaking for 1 hour in a bowl with 3 strips of approximately 16 inch long polyethylene, the trichloroanisole was undetectable, rescuing a delicious bottle of wine. :cool:

I'm very sensitive to TCA and have tried this procedure several times with mixed results. This time, instead of stuffing a single piece in the bottle, I poured the wine in a bowl and layered in the polyethylene making sure the entire surface was covered in wine.

Better living through chemistry! :D

Wow, that sounds interesting. I've never knowingly tasted a "corked" bottle of wine (would love to, but not a Far Niente!) but I'll keep this in mind.

Wow, that sounds interesting. I've never knowingly tasted a "corked" bottle of wine (would love to, but not a Far Niente!) but I'll keep this in mind.

Carl, many people haven't knowingly tasted cork taint. They just think the wine sucked!

If you ever smell a wine that smells like wet, moldy cardboard, like a cardboard box that has been in a damp cellar for too long, that's TCA. It masks the fruit aromas and at high concentrations gives the wine a nasty taste. At low concentrations most people don't even notice it.

Bought this one on Rügen last year. Tried it today - :lickface:

Attachments

• IMG_0567.JPG
    IMG_0567.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 117
USD 18. El Sidakos, "Marquis de Abadia" Verdejo, Rueda, 2015 Verdejo: 100% alcohol 13% Smell of ripe yellow plum and sherry. The taste is balanced, mineral, with tones of sherry in the taste, tones of aged Tokay wine and subtle tones of fennel. Refreshing, exquisite, very good wine. A great addition to a salad made from a mixture of herbs, sour cream and smoked chicken breast. Вино белое сухое "Маркес де Абадиа" Вердехо, 2018, 0.75 л — купить испанское вино Bodegas El Cidacos, "Marques de Abadia" Verdejo, Rueda DO, 2018, Испания, 750 мл – цена, отзывы
El Cidacos Marques de Abadia Verdejo | Wine Info

Ever tried the Goslings Black Seal rum, as in a Dark ‘n’ Stormy? The quality of the ginger beer makes a huge difference. Pretty decent on its own over ice as well.

Goslings (from Bermuda) is excellent. I especially like Black Seal in egg nog at xmas, it has an almost chocolate flavour that goes well with cream and spice. I like to add a dash of Courvoisier to that just to class it up a bit. :)

Speaking of rum, tonight I was playing around with a combination of:

2oz Redwood Empire Emerald Giant Rye,
1oz of Clement Rhum View Agricole VSOP plus
1/2 lemon squeezed and
a splash of Fever Tree Ginger Ale to taste.

It turned out to be quite refreshing and just the ticket for washing the smoke from our fires out of my throat. :D

Wow, still making wines. I hear good things about the earlier wines, but have never had one, nor have I seen anything about the newer wines. Prices can be pretty steep for 2009 and earlier (upwards of $65/bottle from when Kathryn was still alive). So have they come down in price?

I've always loved the Estate Cabernet with the silver label that sells for more than I can afford. It is estate grown from Certified Organic grapes grown in a vineyard that is less than an acre. It is truly a hand made wine and probably California's first "cult" wine before that was a thing.

Kathryn promoted her son Marty to winemaker about 35 years ago. Since then he has grown the winery first to include a separate label called Lateral, inspired by the St. Emilion blends of Cab Franc and Merlot. Later he developed the Small Lot Series, such as the Cabernet Sauvignon referenced previously. Recently, he came out with a North Coast Sauvignon Blanc. It is the only domestic SB I enjoy!

His wines are hard to find but worth the effort. He also sells direct by the 12 bottle case to States that allow direct shipping.

So some of the interesting bottles I’ve had in the past
D0174B12-9BF9-44DF-837E-FE057DA3BE54.jpg
Cheval Blanc and Remy Martin XO.

EFCCEBAB-E235-4EA7-91FE-6F662FC769C6.jpg
This bottle of Margaux I gave to my parents who have since gave up alcohol. So this was returned after sitting undisturbed “cellaring”. After appropriate steps of decanting and then airing - stunning.