"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

j7WwjlN.jpg

used a few hours to finish it, now checking the components value and cap direction as well as clearing solder fulx. hope can hear it asap.

I would like to build this amp, as I want a “A” topology headphone amp and the design is ‘Pass’ related, so win win. But for a few reasons I am holding off. As a first time builder there are a few things not the clearest in instructions for me. For one and most vague is the IEC hook up. One spot (above) it has a heading that states 240 volt hook up but I cannot find 110 volt hook up, the heading is either an error and/or They are the same (other then the jumpers). As a visual learner a few more images (less crammed) at this spot if possible would help. The other is, well, a nice case that is milled (i.e. SSII CASE) which I know is being worked on, makes me say hold on for a bit. I am going to go the SSII to route for now as having both tube and class A headphone amps would be great! So if someone could clarify for a rookie the 110 volt IEC wiring my apprehension will be lessened. This would be my first time wiring an internal power supply.

e7kON4r.jpg

I finished it now and tested a few time for different Opamp.
The sound is so great even though i did not connect the IEC earth. So i can hear noise when i play and suspend my cellphone player.

I got some data about the amp.
Opamp Vcc+/Vcc- : 16.74V / 16.57V. Is it ok? as the schematic show them are 15V
L/R out to GND without input source voltage are 9.44mV / 10.47mV, it is acceptable?
BTW, the 7815/7915 are too hot.

I have a question, what value of capacitor should i install on the RCA-GND to IEC earth?
I saw many people added this capacitor on their work.

I haven't used the stock whammy for awhile (I used it everyday awhile back).
Today I turned it on.

The 4 FQP FETs are 80 degrees C hot!
The 7815/7915 Regs are 60 degrees C.
The 6 filtering caps are 50 degrees C.
Transformer is 35 degrees C.
But the music sounds great.
DC offset is -1.3mV for both channels. I remember it is less than 0.5mV before.
I also remember the filtering caps are only warm before and all the heatsinks are not this untouchably scorching.
OP AMP is 94720-not hot at all.

Where should I trouble shoot?

Thanks!

Today I turned it on.

I also remember the filtering caps are only warm before and all the heatsinks are not this untouchably scorching.

Thanks!

How much current is it drawing at idle? I would check the bias resistors first, to make sure they haven't drifted.

Last edited:
Thanks!
I have been wondering this too.
I am about 90% done with my build in an old DVD chassis that has been cut up, smashed and tweeked as a temporary solution. Its pretty Franken-ugly!:D

My temporary "chassis" is a piece of wood as a base and cardboard on the back to hold the rca jacks. It was cute for about a month ... but it's been about 9 months now.

Put me down for an official chassis, please! :D

OB speakers

fwiw I spent an enjoyable couple of hours with the Whammy driving my 12" 100db 8 Ohm open baffle drivers and while they do benefit from a bit more oomph it was still very much an enjoyable listen with a clean & detailed presentation. The Whammy didn't seem to be stressed the heat sinks were no warmer than normal and the transformer (22v) stayed cool to the touch during that time.

Normally I use a 2W Set amp.

Hi Jamie

I toyed with the idea of making some OB speakers a while back.

Can you please tell me what type/make/model 12 inch speakers you use ? Did you add a tweeter ? What design of OB speaker did you use ?

Thanks

Mark

Today I turned it on.

Thanks!

your temperature value near my result, but your DC offset is better than mine.

Hi Jamie

I toyed with the idea of making some OB speakers a while back.

Can you please tell me what type/make/model 12 inch speakers you use ? Did you add a tweeter ? What design of OB speaker did you use ?

Thanks

Mark

I run two 12" Bastanis Mandala drivers per channel these run free range each pair is assisted by a 15" Eminence bass woofer and 1" Vifa tweeter per channel. I have it configured so the 15" bass drivers can be amped separately. For vocal centric music and evening listening I often just run the 12" drivers and tweeters on their own.

If you Google Bastanis Mandala you should get plenty of hits

How much current is it drawing at idle? I would check the bias resistors first, to make sure they haven't drifted.

Thanks. I forgot to mention I switched to lower resistors for biasing so everything is now hot! I just panicked.

I found post 1244. I also read the specs of the FETs. They can withstand up to 150 degrees C.
I switched back the resistors to 10 ohms and everything is back to normal temperature.

So I just wanted to say thanks to Wayne and 6L6 for making the best amp I've ever heard! I thought I'd be missing something from a solid state having been a tube amp owner for some time now. I can say that I cannot go back to those amps now that I've heard the Whammy. The clarity and soundstage is unmatched and the life-like sound coming from this little beast is incredible! Thanks for making such a phenomenal amp guys!

Set up and op-amp impressions
Using a Modi Multibit and HD 650's.

Couldn't recommend the LM833N enough. It has a warmth to it that makes everything sound realistic and intimate. I love it.

V6 Vivid's - If you want neutral and clarity I think this is as good as it gets. Soundstage is bigger than the LM833N.

V6 Classic - As good as the Vivid's but a bit less in your face. Soundstage I think is bigger than the Vivid's but are similar in other aspects.

Cheers!

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Yes, please do! I would love to hear an updated ETA.

Thanks for following up, Jason!

Wheels are back in motion. We have a design now. Looks great. No ETA. Requires new parts selection and prototyping. Will take a few months. You can rely on it happening one day, I can promise that now, but it will happen when it happens and not before.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Wheels are back in motion. We have a design now. Looks great. No ETA. Requires new parts selection and prototyping. Will take a few months. You can rely on it happening one day, I can promise that now, but it will happen when it happens and not before.

Glad to hear it! Thanks for the quick reply. It would be awesome if you're able to share the sketch once it's finalized (and approved) just to allow us to get an idea of what we can look forward to! :)

Looking forward to it.