Well tempered labs tonearm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hear is my WTA clone.

It works surprisingly well considering it's all made from bits n bobs, Not withstanding that every bit or bob, has been modified from what it used to be !!!!!
Fun though

Attachments

• IMG_3356.jpg
    IMG_3356.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 758
  • IMG_3378.jpg
    IMG_3378.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 852
  • IMG_3376.jpg
    IMG_3376.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 719
  • IMG_3382.jpg
    IMG_3382.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 688
Well Tempered Arm

Hi
A golf ball!! If you look at the latest WT arm you'll see a similar arrangement in that around 40% of the golf ball is sawn off then attached to the top plate that you can see in the pictures. It has a number of benefits:

• Ensuring the arm is at true right angles to the pivot is easier to achieve consistently
  • The mating of the tube to the ball is much more rigid and secure
  • It looks a whole lot neater.
You'll also notice the headshell- by using the carrier as shown in the pictures, cartridge mounting is easy, the stylus is always in line with the pivot (better tracking/less stylus wear etc) and offset angle can be easily adjusted-unlike the WT arrangement.

Additionally, mounting the arm on the deck is easy-only one 1/4" hole needed. It is also fully adjustable for arm height too.

This is an 11" arm.

Rergards

Hey Chris if you are referring to this piccy chttp://totallywired.co.nz/images/wt_symmetrex_ltd.jpg Im not so sure the golf ball is cut off, more that the top pivot and arm assembly is hollowed out to the same profile as the ball. Im trying to find a wood turner who can fashion something similar for me

Hi Fergs
Only a third of the ball is immersed in silicone so the top profile doesn't need to be ball shaped. I'm not sure that WTL have done exactly what I have done. There's some technospeak about the weight of the ball being important. Just to be sure, I've ensured the weight remains the same with my design-just in case! Whatever WTL have done though is immaterial. If they have profiled the top to fit the ball, it seems a lot of unnecessary machining to me.The design I have come up with works very well indeed. Tryb it-just lop the top off using a mitre saw then superglue it to washers of the appropriate size.
Regards
Chris

16" ARM!

Hi Everyone
When I noticed the Bill F had brought out the Royale with a 16" arm, I couldn't resist the temptation. It had been waiting to be mounted for several months due to work commitments. Mounted it last week.
Regards
Chris

Attachments

• DSCF6817.jpg
    DSCF6817.jpg
    723.8 KB · Views: 249
  • DSCF6818.jpg
    DSCF6818.jpg
    667.5 KB · Views: 217
  • DSCF6819.jpg
    DSCF6819.jpg
    717.7 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCF6821.jpg
    DSCF6821.jpg
    691.8 KB · Views: 212
  • DSCF6823.jpg
    DSCF6823.jpg
    734.9 KB · Views: 196
  • DSCF6824.jpg
    DSCF6824.jpg
    784.5 KB · Views: 186
I haven’t yet done anything with it. But a seller called TurboSquid on Shapeways is selling 3D printed balls that you can simply attach a 10mm

Here are well copied designs of the well tempered and even incorporate the anti skating holes. They are probably in breach of patents?

For $17 it seemed like a good purpose.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.