Well tempered labs tonearm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I'll be using carbon fibre for the arm tube. As for headshell, I'll use the same design I always use:

DSCF7435.jpg

An explanation- I don't like having a separate headshell attached to the tube as it compromises rigidity. Therefore I adopt the arrangement shown in the photo. I use epoxy resin as a filler where the mounting block is attached which also improves rigidity. Simple but very effective.
Regards
Chris

Hi
As we know, the ideal arrangement is as Rega have where the arm and cartridge mount are one continuous casting- this results in the most rigid cartridge mounting you can achieve in my view. Next best is to have a continuous tube from pivot to cartridge with no joints- which happens when you stick (or clamp) a headshell on the end of the arm tube. Quite a few arm manufacturers have opted for the same arrangement I use-Clearaudio/Temaadaudio etc- that is to clamp the cartridge carrier direct to the arm in the manner shown in my photo above. It also makes changing cartridges very easy.
Regards
Chris

Joined 2009
Paid Member
A package arrived yesterday from Shapeways. I don't think that I will use the headshell as it is not completely rigid. The main body is somewhat light at 22.11 grams. Is this heavy enough or will it need beefing up in some way. Also the arm hole is undersized so will need reaming out.

DSC_0600.jpg

DSC_0602.jpg

Hi Marra
Mine arrived this week- as with you I've had to enlarge the hole for the arm tube. Not too worried about the weight of the item as the counterweight should take account of this. Didn't order the headshell as I suspected lack of rigidity. See my previous post on this thread re the headshell mounting.

Starting to build tomorrow- watch this space...………..
Chris

That's really well done, Chris. I may have another go at it, I've put mine aside a while ago because I couldn't get rid of some arm tube resonance. I was wondering, if you don't mind me asking, is your oil reservoir cylindrical or does the bottom follow the curve of the ball?

Kind regards, Vincent

Hi All

For Marra first. It's very neutral with a lack of any colouration. It tracks incredibly well and is a great match for my AT3200 mc cartridge. It's the easiest arm I've ever made and its performance is better than just about every arm I've owned- including Linns, Clearaudio, NA, Moerch etc. Highly recommended!!

For Vincent-arm tube resonance? What were you using? Carbon fibre for me is a great material. The silicone reservoir is made from a stainless steel toothbrush beaker from Asda (about £1.50 if I remember correctly) and therefore has a flat base. What fluid are you using?

I re-iterate that the Shapeways moulding is incredible value.

Any questions or comments- please let me know.

Best Wishes
Chris

Hi Chris,

I used an Easton aluminium arrow and if I touched the tube near the golf ball I could feel the music playing. The sound wasn't bad at all but it suffered from quite some sibilance distortion. I filled it with flour but that didn't really help. For oil I used the 100000 Cst. Silicone oil. The arrow was too thin for the Splash ball so there it came to a halt. I traded a few tables and I use a Kenwood kd990 now. But I may do another attempt just for the fun of it.

Best Wishes, Vincent

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.