Welcome to the new diyAudio platform - feedback wanted!

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
This is doable . . . but the post would have to be originally a "question" post (currently disabled) and not a regular thread. If my brain functions at the time I'll set up a Q&A forum in the mods test area so you can experiment. I'm in the bush ATM without much internet so that will be after the weekend.
Thinking some more, this may not work for us, since many of our questions are really asking for opinions and everyone has those.

Here's an example from the ubiquiti site. The details of what they're discussing is way over my head, as is most stuff on their forums.
Example from community.ui.com

Don't know if this has been asked or addressed yet:
It would be nice to be able to see/access members about info easily. When you hover or click on the user's avatar/name, there is a pop-up – could it perhaps be included as one of the options under the More Options drop down list?

I am seeing a lot of sleeper accounts, a single post after many years of joining.

I get the LED Magazine on line, they send me an annual link, and I have to answer a few questions, so that they can report to the advertising agencies, or their accounts people that I am still an active member.
This extends my free subscription for a year.

Maybe something like that will act as a filter for spammers.
And these spammers can automatic download (after log in) member details like real name and e-mail from the data base, how can we stop that?
Any ideas?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
There is already a scheme in place, where members who visit but have not visited for a period of time need to validate their account, which is becoming common knowledge. The moderation team keeps an eye on them. (EDIT: This validation does not affect lurkers and is there to protect the innocent.. it is a spam measure)

And these spammers can automatic download (after log in) member details like real name and e-mail from the data base, how can we stop that?
What are you suggesting will happen and how?

Last edited:
In the old software, all I had to do was hover mouse pointer over the poster's name, and a lot of information would come out.
Now, I am getting pointed (for lack of a better term) advertising in my search pages and spam folders, based on the topics I have posted about here, and the threads I visited, but did not post on.

A lot of us are lazy about changing passwords...
So if I get a ghosted e-mail from a fellow member, some malware may be attached.
That is something to ponder, how is my posting being tracked?

You may think of changing the search terms for moderators to:
1. No posts for 6 months, maybe first post long time after joining, and
2. Sudden posts after 1 year of no visits
3. Posts on threads which are very old, sometimes with the participants having passed away, or discussing items which are long obsolete.

Maybe an intro post, with a self description of equipment, experience and education can be made compulsory.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Regarding your first concern, we are looking at something like that now. I imagine the worst of it begin recently? It is hopefully being rectified.
You may think of changing the search terms for moderators to:
1. No posts for 6 months, maybe first post long time after joining, and
2. Sudden posts after 1 year of no visits
3. Posts on threads which are very old, sometimes with the participants having passed away, or discussing items which are long obsolete.
Are you suggesting we do these things to reduce spammers? It sounds like what is already in place (if I understand your points, although I'm not certain). There are also redundant steps.

Do you see a problem?

I will post an update if I see it again, a few weeks back I had reported a series of possible spammers, most of them have not posted again.

Since this is not a paid only forum, the commercial value of data stolen would be information about the members, and the topics / equipment being discussed.

I am not a member of other groups, the Yahoo groups where I was a member are closed, so I cannot comment if this is a problem on other sites also.

An annual message, sort of "are you dead or alive?", will be seen by lurkers I think.
They will need to answer that to continue lurking, that is all.
And the intro mail will tell us about the new member.

Also, we may think of a "foolish person" tag, some people think using battery banks in series is a good idea, or want to invent things whose patents have long expired....a battery reporting chip, 48 page document.
Problem is that sort of chip is there in every cell phone battery, that is why there are more than two contacts, the extra are for battery state information to the device....that was a bit much I thought.
He was so proud of his concept...

Anyway, not everybody has the same tastes and abilities, we must be a little tolerant at times.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I am seeing a lot of sleeper accounts, a single post after many years of joining.

I get the LED Magazine on line, they send me an annual link, and I have to answer a few questions, so that they can report to the advertising agencies, or their accounts people that I am still an active member.
This extends my free subscription for a year.

Maybe something like that will act as a filter for spammers.
Any ideas?
I don't think they can get your email address - for example - can you see mine (if so where?)

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
get your email address -
it was easier earlier like I mentioned, the real name and e-mail were easy to see.
When? I took a snapshot 2022-02-07. It did not show real-name or email.

ZeroPostsMember.gif
(The "zero posts" bug has not been addressed and is not too very important.)