Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

Joined 2019
Paid Member
@iotovip - Something may be amiss with your build. If built per the schematic in post #1, you should have ~3.7x gain.

The picture you posted is not large enough to see your boards clearly. Perhaps post a few more pictures. Try to get at least one tight shot of the main board and one clearly showing the input and output wiring including the volume pot and input switch. The eagle-eyed forum members may be able to spot something.

hi
I have a general question for the group I built this ba-2018 and it sounds great and very clear, but the volume will not go very loud, it fills the room but not near as loud as when I hook up the Dac direct to the amp, pass labs F6
is there a resistor I can change or something to fix
thanks

Hi, Lovotip!

Great build overall.

See post 1233 from MJ, marvelously explained. In continuation of that, please confirm that R16 and R17 and their equivalents on the other channel have the correct values, according to schem. Once that is confirmed, troubleshooting will be easier :cheers:

Andy

RIAA LCR

Hello,
New to the blog , I would like to know if it is possible to use the preamplifier by slightly diverting it from its purpose .
I would like to use the preamplifier in phono preamplifier RIAA LCR as described on the audiophile magazine around the 1980s with the preamplifier KANEDA.
Using 2 preamplifiers in series and inserting between the two a RIAA LCR shim module. The gain should only be increased to 36dB per stage . This would make 2X36 = 72 dB - 20 dB ( CSF ) = 52 dB.
R16 would change to 47K
R17 would change to 5.6K
C1 = 10pF.
What do you think?
Thank you.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
You could get more gain out of the modules for a phono stage if you wanted.
Your values for gain are off though. R16 100K and R17 1.5K gives 36 dB gain.
Distortion and noise of course go up and you may want to use 10K and 150 Ohms for the first stage for a bit lower noise.

Merci pour ces explications , je vais essayer 10K et 150 ohms pour le bruit . Je vais passer commande de 2 modules et insérer un LCR d'origine TANGO .

Eeeeeh. No parlai et Francaise.

Want Pass wizardry from your records to your power amp? Then I would drop the 1980’s wizardry. This is 2021. Drop by passdiy.com, order a set of Pearl 2 boards and JFETs from the wizards hands, and connect that to your WLS. Smooth Sailing.

:cheers:

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Up and burning in

No issues. Dead quiet with no signal input & pots turned up to full. Sounds fine. Will let it burn in for awhile before making performance comments and finishing the case off. Anxious to see if Nelson’s H2V2 has a positive added effect.

Helios PS, Hammond case, ALPS mono pots for L-to-R balance control.

Attachments

• 4FBA7F0A-13C4-4354-96A0-65BF1EAD5116.jpeg
    4FBA7F0A-13C4-4354-96A0-65BF1EAD5116.jpeg
    368 KB · Views: 640
  • 69A570DF-E0FC-4FE7-B458-FDFCF31597EB.jpeg
    69A570DF-E0FC-4FE7-B458-FDFCF31597EB.jpeg
    512.7 KB · Views: 642
  • 807A7934-AA86-45F9-BE82-9BF929357675.jpeg
    807A7934-AA86-45F9-BE82-9BF929357675.jpeg
    530.7 KB · Views: 625
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Questions about C5,6,11 &12

I’ve tried to find this information out by going through all 298 pages of this forum so please excuse me if this has been discussed (just point me to the post #s).

These caps were not in Wayne’s original design. I bought the kit from the Store only in the past year so my historical perspective of this wonderful project is lacking. Exactly why were these caps added, was the 220uF value arrived at through some scope measurements and what leeway do I have concerning the exact capacitance level I can use at C5,6,11&12?

Thanks in advance

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
They were added as additional PSU filtering to help increase the range of usable PSU solutions with this project. Also, there was extra room on the v2 PCB compared to the original layout, so might as well use the space.

220uF was chosen because Pass Labs has a bajillion of them and Wayne likes to use parts that are on the shelf. Its’s also a common value.

Yes, I would assume Wayne has a scope, probably two of them. He also has a nice Audio Precision and much more importantly, about 30yr experience making this stuff. (Which is pretty cool.)

As for the range of value you can use, anything from zero up to whatever fits. (Or bigger, if you want to come up with some strange and awkward mounting configuration.) It works just fine without them. More than the 220uF included in the kit will not necessarily be better.

Just use the 220uF included in the kit and be happy. The choice of PSU you build with will make much, much more impact and difference on the sound.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I'm confident that Wayne's BA2018 linestage would sound great with any and all of these power supplies

• Walt Jung's latest SHUNT mode Super Regulator
  • Salas' UltraBiB shunt regulator
  • Jan Didden's Super Switcher
  • Pete Millett's LT1083/1084 regulated power supply

There are also several people who've posted their listening evaluations in this thread, powering Wayne's BA2018 linestage from the VRDN supply whose Gerber PCB files are freely downloadable from this Forum. Check those messages and find out how they liked the combination.

I built two identical BA2018s one with a clone of the Whammy supply and one with Jan Didden's Super Regulator. Same transformer and both running around 17V rails. Set up as AB switched and gain matched, I have to give the edge to the Super Regulator for slightly superior detail. Maybe it has lower noise? Probably worth the extra $35 - $40 in parts.