VSSA Through-Hole-PCB build thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I heard from Pete. There have been some tragedies in the lives of those close to him. Keep him in prayer. I'm sure he will be back soon.

Blessings, Terry

This is still4given's POST 282 from 22 DECEMBER 2013

That there is a fair total sum involved for those who have not received their boards yet is obvious. For some the money involved is a reasonably large sum, and I can well understand the hunger for information. But I do find this searching obits a tad goulish. It is quite clear from still4givens post quoted above that Pete has had a personal family tragedy. That, I believe, is adequate information. still4given has had contact, hence the quote above, and has since then sensibily kept out of it.

I know that for some it leaves a sour taste, but I would strongly resist the temptation to speculate on line regarding this matter.

Last edited:
This is still4given's POST 282 from 22 DECEMBER 2013

That there is a fair total sum involved for those who have not received their boards yet is obvious. For some the money involved is a reasonably large sum, and I can well understand the hunger for information. But I do find this searching obits a tad goulish. It is quite clear from still4givens post quoted above that Pete has had a personal family tragedy. That, I believe, is adequate information. still4given has had contact, hence the quote above, and has since then sensibily kept out of it.

I know that for some it leaves a sour taste, but I would strongly resist the temptation to speculate on line regarding this matter.

well said Dear Brianco.

Finally! My VSSA Fet ccs came to life...:D
I have incorporated PMIs schematic revision to Shaans moded pcb design done by me...:) 2SK246GR for the ccs and the ultrahigh-definition 2SA1406/SC3600 (typical 400mhz) with 47pf comp caps for VAS. I have omitted the 10uf bypass caps (very expensive in my place :() and back to 47ohms for the current source resistor (tied to input diff emitters) as in LCs original because my ccs fets are GR types they only generate about 2.6-6.5ma. I have tested the amp for 2hours of playtime and the main heatsink barely got warm. Everything sounds brilliant! Tiny circuit with a huge soundstage! :cool:

I am being tempted to lower the 47pf to 22pf but don't really know what would be the outcome. Some questions...touching the VAS heatsink produces a slight hum,is this normal? Are they supposed to be grounded? I have attached my revised schematic (taken from PMIs original) please do not hesitate to post your comments/observations as I am no engineer. I am only relying on my trusted DMM. :)

P.S. I just hope PMI won't find my posting to be intrusive.
Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20140321_073157.jpg
    IMG_20140321_073157.jpg
    620 KB · Views: 916
  • VSSA_PiCiBiv1.4_2sk246_all.jpg
    VSSA_PiCiBiv1.4_2sk246_all.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 881
  • VSSA_PiCiBi_2sk246.png
    VSSA_PiCiBi_2sk246.png
    144.3 KB · Views: 873
Sure thimios...
Just take note of my voltage rails in the schematic (+-27vdc). Higher than that resistor values on the ccs needs to be adjusted. I'd love to hear from someone power this amp at higher voltage rails. ;)

Enjoy!

Attachments

• VSSA_PiCiBiv1.4_2sk246_all.pdf
    215.3 KB · Views: 254
  • VSSA_PiCiBiv1.4_2sk246_copper.pdf
    195.1 KB · Views: 205
Hi Dady,

My PSU was a linear +-27vdc with 6X4700 capacitance at 4amps traffo (I adapted an 0sstripper psu design). My calculations could be around 30-40watts (could be lesser I do not have the math for VSSA :)) 0n my 6ohms 200watter speaker, sq was powerful enough. My source was an mp3 player and volume set at 22, at max 30 the sound was thundering! :eek:

Best Regards!

Hi Abetir,

I'm on my way too...
this VSSA with K246GR & J103GR...
it's took me years to source thoose parts :D

btw, how to tune the VAS current?
I've power it on with lower supply & measure the current
it was 20mA on vas & maybe it is too much

Regards

John

Attachments

• IMG_1973.JPG
    IMG_1973.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 692
Hi John, ExceIIent buiId! Nice heatsink too! Iguess 10-15ma on VAS shouId be good enough, do some tweaking on the resistor vaIues in the offset. I have tried to a Iow 330ohms but VAS trannie instantIy gets warmer. Not good I think. VSSA Fet CCS is quite sensitive, a IittIe poke hear and there instantIy affects AC at the output and that incIudes the VAS heatsink, they seem to act Iike antennae. I guess the compact PCB design fits ideaIIy in this amp. :)

My poormans VSSA chassis, (in mono, traffo is not enough for a stereo to drive a pair of 200w 6ohms speakers :p)

Attachments

• open_top.jpg
    open_top.jpg
    698.5 KB · Views: 708
  • zobeI_starground.jpg
    zobeI_starground.jpg
    656.1 KB · Views: 646
  • top.JPG
    top.JPG
    520.1 KB · Views: 598
  • back.JPG
    back.JPG
    530.9 KB · Views: 577
  • SAM_0097.JPG
    SAM_0097.JPG
    534.2 KB · Views: 564
Last edited:
Do not use protect speakers??

I had to say that I am not so comfortable with the protect circuit as I have a "not so good" experience with it. Having it, DC offset was bit higher than without it, so I detached the thing :( My VSSA has been playing for months without DC protect and is rock stable and totally silent even at power on and off. I even have a softstart before but also removed the thing. I guess the EMI filter (rated 6amps 250v) could do the job of limiting the AC mains current. :)

Nice boards by the way, :cool:

Hi if you include the 10 µF caps and make a new PCB version with them I will send them for free. Wima MKS 2 or 4.

2 PCBs for me please ;)

Hi jean-paul!

As much as I wanted to furnish you with factory made boards using my design, I have no means of producing them here in my place. I could however revise my boards per your request and post the files here (including gerbers). Perhaps anyone who is capable and wanted to have a factory made board can go ahead with the job. :cheerful:

Best regards.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi jean-paul!

As much as I wanted to furnish you with factory made boards using my design, I have no means of producing them here in my place. I could however revise my boards per your request and post the files here (including gerbers). Perhaps anyone who is capable and wanted to have a factory made board can go ahead with the job. :cheerful:

Best regards.

Hey I made the promise so I will keep it. When you add the 10 µF then also make the input cap a 10 µF film type while you are at it ;). If there is a board house where you live then .... you could do a Group Buy....:faint:

BTW which software do you use for layouts ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.