VRDN: bipolar regulator PCB for line level ckts: ±11V to ±20V @ 1.5A with "De-Noiser"

Hi, I ordered 15 PCBs VRDN because they cost me almost the same as 4. I have 9 left over, so if someone needs one I have no problem sending it to them.
The 15 PCBs cost me € 44.15 including shipping (just under $ 50). That's roughly € 3 each PCB. I just finished building a BA2018 using only a VRDN board to power it and, in the absence of putting everything in a chassis and mounting a selector and a decent volume control, it works perfectly, without hum or noise of any kind, it is very very quiet .

I would only have to add the postage (I reside in Spain, so I suppose that shipments outside the EU would not be profitable)

I can send photos. Also publish them, although I still don't know how to do it

Last edited:
I'm going to use my VDRN (single) to power my Wayne's BA linestage. I'm pretty comfortable soldering, been doing hobby electronics for 3-4 years, but the jump to mains power has me concerned.

I have just finished building a balanced ba18 and started off using a mains powered VRDN as well as a Millet PSU. With both I found hum problems that I couldn’t quite track down. Whilst I brace myself to trouble shoot the problem I used the VRDN board that is modified to run off an AC wallwart. That works fine with no hum so is one approach that avoids the mains voltage completely

When I was young and foolish I did successfully rewire a pair of Quad EL57 electrostatics but I would be a lot more cautious about tackling that now!!

Hi, I ordered 15 PCBs VRDN (jlcpcb) because they cost me almost the same as 4. I have 9 left over, so if someone needs one I have no problem sending it to them.
The 15 PCBs cost me € 44.15 including shipping (just under $ 50). That's roughly € 3 each PCB. I just finished building a BA2018 using only a VRDN board to power it and, in the absence of putting everything in a chassis and mounting a selector and a decent volume control, it works perfectly, without hum or noise of any kind, it is very very quiet .

I would only have to add the postage (I reside in Spain, so I suppose that shipments outside the EU would not be profitable)

I have just finished building a balanced ba18 and started off using a mains powered VRDN as well as a Millet PSU. With both I found hum problems that I couldn’t quite track down. Whilst I brace myself to trouble shoot the problem I used the VRDN board that is modified to run off an AC wallwart. That works fine with no hum so is one approach that avoids the mains voltage completely

I'd guess the hum was from the transformer and not the PSU PCBs based on your description.

Joined 2001
Paid Member
Be careful powering up new projects / upgrades, etc. I've seen caps blow up...

Attachments

• Both_Boards_together_.jpg
    Both_Boards_together_.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 624
Hi, I ordered 15 PCBs VRDN because they cost me almost the same as 4. I have 9 left over, so if someone needs one I have no problem sending it to them.

David, yes please! I need two though for a dual mono, is that possible? Just let me know, I can paypal you immediately.

J

Mark,

Very nice job here, your descriptions, BOM, and build guide are top notch. A masters version of a VRDN for dummies... I literally have no questions.... well yet, it's not done and working, but you seem to have anticipated most everything and explained it, so even us solder monkeys understand.

Well Done!

Regards,

JT

Account Closed
Joined 2010
I think less capacitors, bigger heatsink(at least 4x biger) would have been much better...With such a big range 11...20v it will work at max 3...500ma with reasonable lifespan, but it will work very, very hot.LM337/317 chips are really tough , thay can work very hot, but the pcb will suffer, capacitors next to the heatsink will dry...for 1.5A it needs much bigger heatsink and some free space around it.

I truly think I may need my head examined, I liked this power supply so much and regretted not using it in my BA 2018 line stage. I added my name to the group buy and ordered another BA line stage printed circuit board from the diy audio store.

Thanks Scott I will mention your name to the shrink.
Bill

Well, I built two of these things and have the same issue on both of them.

18V dual sec reading about 18.2V into VRDN output looks good on the + adjust fine up to about 20V, but the - side max pot is just under -16v. Re reflowed one board before trying the other and found the other had the same issue as did the one I reflowed.
Started troubleshooting and noticed voltages not right on the neg regulator LM337

Vadj = 14.45
Vin = 24.45 (Rail)
Vout = 15.59 (VR2 maxed)

Since I was getting rail to Vin, I assumed this problem was an issue with Vadj R9 & R10 looked to be okay, so I started thinking something in the de-noise section. I put the jumper on to kill the filter section and what do you know, voltages are normal on the LM337 and the output is at 20v. I backed it down to 18v and stopped there for the day.

So people, we have something in the filter section screwing with the circuit. Any thoughts as to what to look at welcome, whatever I did wrong I duplicated it on both boards.

JT

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Phil, your post is #158. Scroll backwards, count seven posts, and have a look at #151.

A second option is to grab the PCB CAD files (Gerber format) which are attached to post #1 of this thread, and send them off to a fab. They'll build as many or as few boards as you order. The price comparison website www dot pcbshopper dot com is tremendously useful when choosing a fab (in my personal opinion)