VituixCAD

Rev. 2.0.49.1 (2020-04-23)

Power dissipation
* Crest factor setting does not affect to Voltage peak curve.
* Added separate peak amplitude response for M-Noise to enable frequency-dependent crest factor. Spectrum of peak response is close to pink noise i.e. -3 dB/oct tilt, added with HPF and LPF. Crest factor increased by 1 dB at LF from previous rev.

Measuring of peak amplitude response from M-Noise.wav wasn't success so straight -3 dB/oct tilt ~7 dB above average response at LF is probably not final.

Hello I am a novice speaker builder and this is the first crossover I have designed. Does anyone have advice for me? Any help is welcome. I have large dips and peaks in my SPL graph. How do I straighten them out? I have added a screenshot of what I have designed so far. Thanks in advance!

As Kimmo suggests in the user manual you should try his demo projects first.

Kontiainen demo project for example is 2-way so it is easy starting point.

You cannot simulate speaker with traced or manufacturer supplied frequency responses. Or at least you must be quite lucky guy to have good results :D

As Kimmo suggests in the user manual you should try his demo projects first.

Kontiainen demo project for example is 2-way so it is easy starting point.

You cannot simulate speaker with traced or manufacturer supplied frequency responses. Or at least you must be quite lucky guy to have good results :D

What do you mean by with traced or manufacturer supplied frequencies. I used the files provided by the manufacturer. Is that what u mean? What would I use instead?

^Yep exactly what i meant. Manufacturer provided freq responses cannot be used to design speakers. For learning and playing around (for first times at least) you should use Vituixcad demo projects and understand what is needed to design loudspeaker (properly). Using improper freq and impedance responses yield dissapointments.

^Yep exactly what i meant. Manufacturer provided freq responses cannot be used to design speakers. For learning and playing around (for first times at least) you should use Vituixcad demo projects and understand what is needed to design loudspeaker (properly). Using improper freq and impedance responses yield dissapointments.

How does the software know what my drivers are or their specifications? I'm not sure what to do if I should not import the manufacturers files or where to even start. Will I understand what to do after completing the demos? Thanks!

Geeze. This is A LOT more daunting then I anticipated. I'm not even sure how to get to the demo. Is there any way I could purchase a premade crossover that will yield decent results. As I have previously said I am a beginner and am not looking for professional grade sound. I understand I could get much better results if i designed and build my own crossover but I don't think I can manage that (at least for my first speaker build). So if any one has a recommendation that would be great. Thanks!
Full range driver: Dayton Audio RS100-4 4" Reference Full-Range Driver 4 Ohm
Dayton Audio RS100-4 4" Reference Full-Range Driver 4 Ohm
Tweeter: Peerless by Tymphany BC25SC06-04 1" Textile Dome Tweeter
Peerless by Tymphany BC25SC06-04 1" Textile Dome Tweeter

^No need to purchase anything. Fortunately this is free to use for non commercial purposes. Demo projects can be downloaded from official site:
Software

Read carefully that How to start working with vituixcad part and follow the instructions. I've been playing with Vcad for 2-3 years now and I'm nowhere close to understand everything, but at least i know that using useless response data is waste of time.

^No need to purchase anything. Fortunately this is free to use for non commercial purposes. Demo projects can be downloaded from official site:
Software

Read carefully that How to start working with vituixcad part and follow the instructions. I've been playing with Vcad for 2-3 years now and I'm nowhere close to understand everything, but at least i know that using useless response data is waste of time.

I understand that you do not need to purchase anything for the software. However I am not sure how to get to the demo. I was asking if it is possible to purchase a prebuilt crossover and get decent results. If so would anyone be able to recommend one with the drivers I have used. the drivers are linked in my previous response. Thanks!

I understand that you do not need to purchase anything for the software. However I am not sure how to get to the demo. I was asking if it is possible to purchase a prebuilt crossover and get decent results. If so would anyone be able to recommend one with the drivers I have used. the drivers are linked in my previous response. Thanks!

There are many DIY kits available where you don't need to measure and simulate your own x-over. General purpose x-over ie. from ebay are generally useles.

Purpose of the Vituixcad is that you use your own (or some one elses) measurement data. It should include impedance response in final (or near fínal) cabinet and 0...180 deg (every 10 deg or so) gated frequency responses.

For that you'll need: USB soundcard (2xout and 2xin), AB-class amp, calibrated microphone (and mic pre amp if soundcard doesn't have one). Here in Europe you can have them for 100-200€($).

Designing and building your own speaker will be rewarding but it need some time, practicing, nerves and money.

..this can be an unfriendly place for beginners.

diyaudio is quite friendly place compared to some local forums.

Beginners could hope that at least someone would have enough free time or light-speed fingers to help with very basic acoustical and electrical questions on diyaudio or particularly in this thread. Most of use have probably started with different method. For example by studying electronics and acoustics, investigating existing speakers designs, reading printed articles and building speakers someone else has designed. Quick asking online with close to zero knowledge is more modern phenomenon. Hopefully someone (else) has enough time at least to show proper path and information sources.

What do you mean by with traced or manufacturer supplied frequencies. I used the files provided by the manufacturer. Is that what u mean? What would I use instead?

First you need to study baffle loss and diffaction. Does manufacturer's data include those or not. What you should do to include baffle loss and diffraction if they are missing. What to do if baffle loss and diffraction is included, but not compatible with enclosure shape and driver layout of your project. How about if you have open baffle.
Second item is timing. What kind of timing is included in acoustical data, and how you can adjust differences if needed.
Third item is impedance responses of drivers. How to convert typical free air curve of woofer for closed or vented design of your project.
And so on...

Providing own measurement data is recommended method. It's not easy either but no need to assume and convert incompatible data so much.

diyaudio is quite friendly place compared to some local forums.

Beginners could hope that at least someone would have enough free time or light-speed fingers to help with very basic acoustical and electrical questions on diyaudio or particularly in this thread. Most of use have probably started with different method. For example by studying electronics and acoustics, investigating existing speakers designs, reading printed articles and building speakers someone else has designed. Quick asking online with close to zero knowledge is more modern phenomenon. Hopefully someone (else) has enough time at least to show proper path and information sources.

True!

gabo

Cumulated updates in the latest build of rev. 2.0.49.1 (2020-04-25)

Power dissipation
* Crest factor setting does not affect to Voltage peak curve.
* Added separate peak amplitude response for M-Noise to enable frequency-dependent crest factor. Spectrum of peak response is close to pink noise i.e. -3 dB/oct tilt, added with HPF and LPF. Crest factor increased by 1 dB at LF.

Main
* Enabled rotation of ground component.

Merger
* Added blending BW of 1/2 octaves.
* Minimum transition frequency lowered to 40 Hz.

Hi. I'm new bee with this program.Downloaded new version and stuck.
Simply can't upload any spl data.
Only one window "GD&Phase" is showing graph.Rest 3 is remain empty.
gdf and zma files been downloaded from parts-express. Tried create via SPL trase - no luck either.
Uninstall/reinstall.... Using Windows 10

Anyone have any thoughts? Maybe I missed one tiny tick somewhere?