Vishay vs Takman Metal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Definitely should start to try some diy soldering.
Start with a $20 soldering station, then switch to a Metcal after awhile...

Why the $20 station, when a sophisticated station is so much better and easier in every respect? This advice may only be appropriate for a broke student.

Working with expensive parts on expensive equipment one needs the best tools available.

95% of a preamps’ sound is the topology. 4% the active devices (tubes or sand), 1% passive components. This is a generalization but you get where Iam going with this...

It is extremely hard to separate the sound contributions into percentages but 1% for passives seems absurd to me. Especially in a preamp where the attenuator itself is vital for the end result.

The idea that transistor types are more audible than capacitor types seems also absurd.

Too bad this wisdom is arriving late for the poor guy who spent thousands on z-foils for his dac :rolleyes:

Wow!
So in very brief and general terms, how would you describe their character?

I have experience with Dale CMF since they are pretty popular around here and which I consider them rather 'neutral', so in comparison to them could you give us a hint?

Last edited:
Jadis is a fine example of 'designed by ear' and lapped up by audio reviewers who don't even get their hearing tested...

^^^
20 yrs ago, i joined up Audiogon's chat forum,, and after some time,,I finally found my system, Jadis JOR/Seas Thor/cayin Cd17..anyway,,, I noted well, the brand <<Jadis>> had few friends,, almost a <<exclusive club>> Yeah I realize the units are rediculously priced,,,or are they?
I do post on audiogon recently Jadis is <<disgustingly priced too high, grostquely over priced>>
Again its only my knee jerk reaction to a DAC I can not afford, and If I could,, do I really want to spend $10K for a DAC, $15K for their cd player?? = Only if I were super rich,, but then I would look used 1st,,which are extremely dif to come by.
There was a used DAC with separate power supply for $3400,, reasonable IMHO,, But really I am no looking for somthing as complex as a separate power supply, its over kill, I likea a more simple approch. Intergrated is more my preference, The Defy7 was not a wise decision.
I find Jadis <,esteroic, mystical, magical>> But I realize there are quitea few folks who only like to wave the american flag labs. ARC, Macintosh,,,like rooting for the home town team.
Why does Jadis have a reputation as being the most beautifully sounding gear.....unless they really have won and deserved these accolades.

Working with expensive parts on expensive equipment one needs the best tools available.

^^^ when I showed Richard Gray my $15 ebay soldering kit,, he wanted to throw it in the trash,, He suggests to only use a wand like his, like $150..
The only unit I need to upgrade is the Shanling cd player, which has easy access to under bard, as bottom plate comes off.
Richrah refuses to even touch a cd player,, so maybe I will have no choice but to learn,,as there are no other techs (fair and honest) here in the New Orleans area.
we are talking about 6 or less caps. = I'm done with all upgrades.
My plan is to try 1 cap removal at a time, slowly, cautiously.

It is extremely hard to separate the sound contributions into percentages but 1% for passives seems absurd to me. Especially in a preamp where the attenuator itself is vital for the end result.

The idea that transistor types are more audible than capacitor types seems also absurd.

Like I said, it is a generalization. But the same topology preamp with say BJT devices vs JFet/mosfet devices will sound more different than changing the output caps. The tricky part is that the circuit must change in order to accommodate the different transistors. So it's not a one to one comparison.

In general I think you can say a component that is doing a lot of "work" effects the sound more. Tubes, transistors, etc.

Caps in a RIAA network...yeah, they are doing a lot. Caps on the output of a push pull preamp stage that are just there to prevent DC on output in case of a failure...not so much.

^^^ when I showed Richard Gray my $15 ebay soldering kit,, he wanted to throw it in the trash,, He suggests to only use a wand like his, like $150..
The only unit I need to upgrade is the Shanling cd player, which has easy access to under bard, as bottom plate comes off.
Richrah refuses to even touch a cd player,, so maybe I will have no choice but to learn,,as there are no other techs (fair and honest) here in the New Orleans area.
we are talking about 6 or less caps. = I'm done with all upgrades.
My plan is to try 1 cap removal at a time, slowly, cautiously.

I use a $40 Weller. Works fine for me.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Dac with TX 2575 resistors

All discrete balanced jfet fet, direct coupled, single stage IV conversion with 80 ma output stage, jfet shunt regulators, Dale resistors in non signal path. Vishay bulk foil trim pots, teflon bias bypass caps, over 50 Blackgate N caps. 8 x BB PCM 1704K dacs in dual differential mode. Separate power supply chassis with Jung regulators used as pre regulators for the shunt regulators, 200,000 uf, Quasimodo snubbed hexfet bridges, R core transformers. Matching preamp and phono stages to the same build. Extremely resolving and smooth.

Attachments

• 83BB205F-ED95-4C20-85CF-B777D70CDDFB.jpeg
    83BB205F-ED95-4C20-85CF-B777D70CDDFB.jpeg
    496.8 KB · Views: 276
  • 45EC2F63-923C-45B1-BB02-D71A12F8B3F1.jpeg
    45EC2F63-923C-45B1-BB02-D71A12F8B3F1.jpeg
    504.6 KB · Views: 290
  • 5ACE3538-F8F2-451B-96F5-4CA4E84CCDA3.jpg
    5ACE3538-F8F2-451B-96F5-4CA4E84CCDA3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
No, got them from Texas Components. Cheaper.

I previously used Holco non magnetic, then Vishay VTA ,and Caddock 132.
I tried the TX 2575 and found them more resolving, but maybe not the best for a power amp output stage as was suggested.

Last edited:
...and supposedly you can get any value you want too. They just make 'em up for you.

A long time ago one could get metal film resistors in lots of values (E96) and high precision. At one time, Electrosonic used to have a really good selection of Philips.

It seemed to me that except for the expense, these Vishay resistors would be ideal for a ladder attenuator since you could match the attenuation curve you wanted rather than bend to the availability of values. These days companies like the HiFiCollective proclaim with pride "we have the full E24 range!" for some products. [sigh]

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Yes it s cheaper to buy 0.1% from them than 1% from Parts Connexion. the tolerance doesn’t sound any better, but better for input differential performance etc. And yes A few custom values required for the phono stage RIAA. I built the boards and aquired the parts and Les Bordelon built and wired them.

the line preamp uses Bent Audio ladder attenuators that I’m trying to resist changing to surface mount TX 2575

Attachments

• 008B814D-C94E-4AAA-8EB1-71B4BC01EE98.jpg
    008B814D-C94E-4AAA-8EB1-71B4BC01EE98.jpg
    815.3 KB · Views: 245
  • B69A5B52-C171-4C73-BA37-7290B569B7D5.jpeg
    B69A5B52-C171-4C73-BA37-7290B569B7D5.jpeg
    731.8 KB · Views: 247
  • 1FDF9BA1-7FAF-4BEF-A81A-D7710D864C45.jpeg
    1FDF9BA1-7FAF-4BEF-A81A-D7710D864C45.jpeg
    548.2 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Between the dac, preamp and phono stage there are over 160 Blackgates and they are all discrete jfet/fet direct coupled with servos. And TX 2575

The power amp has over 90,000 uf of Blackgates - 8 x 10,000 uf FK and 4 x 2,200/100V N
and 32 of the 0.1uf /50 V NX - and 400,000 uf Panasonic caps feeding 2 mh chokes for the filters before the BGs.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.